Moparts

Do I need a new power steering box?

Posted By: sharpie

Do I need a new power steering box? - 10/22/09 11:47 PM

Here's what I know so far:

I have about 15° of play in my steering wheel before steering action happens. The wheel is free to move within this but after the 15°, it encounters resistance and starts to steer.

I have checked the steering componentry while someone else is turning the wheel in this 15° window, and none of the components are moving. The pitman arm, the tie rod ends, the idler arm, nothing moves. Once you get past that window, however, they start to move.

I have tightened up the box multiple times from the cross-shaft adjustment screw, thinking that maybe it still wasn't tight enough. I finally got to the point where it was almost impossible to turn the wheel, so I backed it back off to a better position, but still there's play. Also, the play has been there since I bought the car.

There is no pump pressure to the box right now, but looking at the cross-section of the steering box, it looks like the pressure just makes it easier to steer (read: after the 15° window), not actually tighten the steering up.

I think it's time for a new box, but I wanted to get the opinions of others first. Thanks in advance!
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Do I need a new power steering box? - 10/22/09 11:52 PM

is the 15 deg of play w it running or not running?

Re: Do I need a new power steering box? - 10/22/09 11:54 PM

both.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Do I need a new power steering box? - 10/23/09 12:04 AM

certainly shouldn't have that kind of play running but cant tell if the cross shaft adjustment is off or if the box as you suspect is bad
Posted By: hooziewhatsit

Re: Do I need a new power steering box? - 10/23/09 12:08 AM

my W200 is the same way. Everything seems tight, but the wheel is sloppy. I don't like driving any faster than 60mph due to it. My wife won't drive it at all.

I got a rebuilt box, that was either bad also, or they're just sloppy by design, as the new box made no difference
Posted By: ph23vo

Re: Do I need a new power steering box? - 10/23/09 12:54 AM

is the frame cracked around the box or the bolts loose? dan
Posted By: 268RTs4ME

Re: Do I need a new power steering box? - 10/23/09 01:04 AM

To start with, what vehicle are you working on? Check out your coupling

Attached picture 5561192-annas775.jpg

Re: Do I need a new power steering box? - 10/23/09 06:38 AM

It's my 71 Demon. The box isn't moving within the 15º window. It also doesn't move after the window. I can check the coupler, but the splines on the box that connect to the coupler move whenever the steering shaft moves. So they seem to be in alignment.
Posted By: plumebody

Re: Do I need a new power steering box? - 10/23/09 09:23 AM

I think OLDMAN has one for sale. Maybe shoot him a PM

Re: Do I need a new power steering box? - 10/23/09 02:15 PM

Quote:

I think OLDMAN has one for sale. Maybe shoot him a PM

hey jerk, this is tech. Leave that other crap at home and don't try to be funny. If you don't have anything constructive to add here, pound sand.
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Do I need a new power steering box? - 10/23/09 02:56 PM

If the overcenter adjustment has been made and all else is tight, the play is in the worm gear - time for a rebuilt box.

Re: Do I need a new power steering box? - 10/23/09 03:27 PM

That's what I figured, too. We've gone all the way from the loose end of the spectrum to the tight end with the only difference in the steering coming after the 15° window.
Posted By: hooziewhatsit

Re: Do I need a new power steering box? - 10/23/09 03:49 PM

Quote:

That's what I figured, too. We've gone all the way from the loose end of the spectrum to the tight end with the only difference in the steering coming after the 15° window.

Same thing I went through, with both the new and the old box.

If you do get a new one, post here and let me know how it works. I would LOVE to tighten the steering up.

Re: Do I need a new power steering box? - 10/23/09 03:57 PM

Sounds good. I'm going to try the box out at the parts store and make sure that it doesn't have play before I even take it home.
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Do I need a new power steering box? - 10/23/09 05:15 PM

Quote:

Sounds good. I'm going to try the box out at the parts store and make sure that it doesn't have play before I even take it home.

I think that is going to be tough to tell. You don't have the leverage of your steering wheel and the resistance your output shaft gets from the steering suspension.

Have you checked out other older mopar that had tighter steering? Your suspension linkage may show no obvious movement but a little in each part can ad up. It's really functionly fine, it just not going to feel like a new Mini Cooper.

What were your alignment specs? Those 70 series front tires aren't helping.

Re: Do I need a new power steering box? - 10/23/09 05:51 PM

I know it won't feel like my MINI Cooper. I haven't ever felt the steering on another Mopar (never driven any other in my life), but it steers fine when it's past that 15° window. It's supple, moves me exactly where I want to go, and it rebounds just fine. However, it's that small window where it's bad. This is just annoying on the street, but on the highway it's downright scary. My car tends to float back and forth in its lane after 60MPH, which I realize is a suspension problem and will be fixed as soon as I make some $$, but my steering should be able to correct it for now, and it cannot because of that window of play.

The only thing that could be bad in the steering at this point are my idler arm and pitman arm or the LCA bushings. The TREs are all new, the ball joints are all new, and the UCAs are all new.

I don't know what the specs were on my alignment, but I had it aligned to stock.

But like I said, within this 15° window, we're talking it feels as if the shaft isn't connected to the box. Only when I get out of this window does it actually get some resistance on the wheel.
Posted By: General 68

Re: Do I need a new power steering box? - 10/23/09 09:50 PM

Mine did the same thing. Got a Firm Feel stage 2. Big difference. No play and drives super straight!
Posted By: ledft79

Re: Do I need a new power steering box? - 10/23/09 11:26 PM

Mine does it too, where do you get a firm feel 2, and what kind of $ do you need to spend. I have realy been considering to go to rack and pinion.
Posted By: 68Fastback

Re: Do I need a new power steering box? - 10/24/09 06:10 AM

Quote:

Mine did the same thing. Got a Firm Feel stage 2. Big difference. No play and drives super straight!

Best investment I ever made for steering on our cars, really gives you a better feel. Also I know you said you checked but on two of my cars the box was loose and gave me a similar feeling, so put a socket to them. If you decide to change the box let me know I will give you some tips.
Posted By: 72roadrunnergtx

Re: Do I need a new power steering box? - 10/24/09 06:41 AM

Quote:

where do you get a firm feel 2, and what kind of $ do you need to spend ?

www.firmfeel.com
Another satisfied Firm Feel customer here, stage 2.
Posted By: pnypwr

Re: Do I need a new power steering box? - 10/24/09 11:44 AM

if someones rebuilt the coupler, id say the shoes are in backwards, yes it can happen, Id think alot of the movement is in the coupler, its splined to the box but not the column, buy a rebuild kit for 10 buck and start there...id look at the shaft, draw a line on it and the couple turn the wheel till it starts to move the gear see if your lines line up.
© 2024 Moparts Forums