Moparts

single stage paint

Posted By: demoned

single stage paint - 10/14/09 10:51 PM

what is single stage paint going to paint my engine bay and the shop said this is what he will use he said there is no clear that is used with this process. Is this a good way of painting this it will be black. what do think is fair price for this .THKS ED

Attached picture 5545371-P1011193.JPG
Posted By: blk00rt

Re: single stage paint - 10/14/09 11:21 PM

what paint is he using? It will effect the price of the job. I believe the cheap stuff starts out around 50 a gallon and goes up from there depending on quality of paint.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: single stage paint - 10/14/09 11:55 PM

I have heard many people using single stage on engine bay/trunk/door jams, etc. A good single stage will spray on smooth and that's it. Since you can't buff or polish an engine bay because of its shape, and because it's completely shielded from the sun you really lose nothing by using a single stage in those areas. You can get great gloss out of a single stage these days.
Posted By: 340dart4spd

Re: single stage paint - 10/15/09 12:18 AM

It's been a few years...but

they do make a clear for single stage....... I used it several time..but it depends on the brand....

but why bother... times are a changing
Posted By: quick77rt

Re: single stage paint - 10/15/09 12:24 AM

As much as I could not beleive it myself, my brothers garage kept ride was painted a nice color of red about 10 years ago. It looks good today.

It turned out to be IH Red enamal straight from the farm store.
Posted By: dirtybee

Re: single stage paint - 10/15/09 01:57 AM

i painted my engine bay and floor pans inside and out as well as my front fenders with sherwin williams urethane enamel single stage paint 5-6 years ago and it still looks great. when i can afford to do my quarters i will use the same stuff, it looks great. not a show car but with some buffing and polish it prolly could be close.
Posted By: LimeliteAero

Re: single stage paint - 10/15/09 02:11 AM

I dont know about price but the use of single stage paint in the engine compartment is highly accepted as normal.
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: single stage paint - 10/15/09 02:46 AM

check out pics of my 440 truck progress on the truck page

I used rustolium gloss black for the frame,under hood,underside of wheel wells, iside under hood,core support,door jambs, inside cab,rear 8 3/4 axle...

used a HVLP spray gun..my first paint job

results will vary

Posted By: 72demon416

Re: single stage paint - 10/15/09 04:11 AM

Overall there is nothing wrong with single stage paint(providing it is quality paint were talking about). It's typically easy too apply, cheaper, & holds out well. In some aspects I prefer the look for a older car- I sprayed my Demon in Endura single stage as I felt it looked more "correct" not the super glossy forever wet look that some choose to have(not to say that single stage can't look like that with a little effort). That being said there is one aspect to consider in a engine bay and that is the effect that fluids may have on it if spilled/ spashed etc and not cleaned all the time. Depending on the color the paint may stain & discolor whereas if it is cleared it does offer some protection against possible color change. If you are for sure going black you don't have much to worry about
Posted By: maximus

Re: single stage paint - 10/15/09 09:09 AM

All the single stage polyurethene paints I've used have 30-40% clear mixed into the paint itself. I have used it on many show cars and it's held up for years. I have even used it on complete cars and 5 years later it looks like it was just applied.
Posted By: HemiStan

Re: single stage paint - 10/15/09 11:06 AM

PPG single stage here. I like it.

Stan

Attached picture 5546293-finished002.jpg
Posted By: cmansell

Re: single stage paint - 10/15/09 01:02 PM

Yes use single stage, it's what was there from the start.
Posted By: bobbyb

Re: single stage paint - 10/15/09 04:04 PM

I used single stage on my engine compartment and jams. Base and clear on the outside. If I had to do over I would go with just one type of paint on the whole car. Mine might be different because of the yellow color, but two different types of paint on my car didn't really match as well as I would like.
Posted By: Boise Chall

Re: single stage paint - 10/15/09 05:17 PM

But mine matched perfectly I used single stage on engine compartment, inside of hood, Door jams, Trunk and inside of trunk lid and 2 stage on the outside I wet sanded the 2 stage smooth and polished it and it looks like a pro did it

Attached picture 5546898-109.JPG
Posted By: west

Re: single stage paint - 10/15/09 05:56 PM

I had my whole car painted with single stage paint,I haven't wet sanded anything.cheap with fair to good results.
paint on car is 6 years old and hood is 2 years old.

Posted By: T2R9

Re: single stage paint - 10/15/09 09:19 PM

I used Nason acrylic urethane on mine, sprayed it myself and was very happy with the quality.

Attached picture 5547347-Engine.jpg
Posted By: T2R9

Re: single stage paint - 10/15/09 09:29 PM

Another shot without the engine. The new single stage paints are very good quality.

Attached picture 5547375-eng-comp.jpg
Posted By: mikeysmopars

Re: single stage paint - 10/15/09 09:51 PM

One other thing to keep in mind is metallic or solid colers. Metallic colors can tend to die back as a single stage because of the aluminum as well as anything with pearls. Vitamin c orange has a small amount of pearls as well as Plum Crazy purple and I have had both them colors haze over a little as a single stage. Solid colors seem to be more wet and deep but dont last in the elements and washing. Best single stage out there is Imron 5000 but its not cheap.
Posted By: 69DodgeCharger

Re: single stage paint - 10/15/09 10:44 PM

What about spraying a Dupont Centari (metallic) and spraying clear over it after the last color coat flashes, is tacky? My buddy has done this several times now with solid colors and has had pretty good results. I was considering trying it with mine since I already have almost two gallons of Centari to work with.
Posted By: sthemi

Re: single stage paint - 10/16/09 05:51 AM

Here is what black PPG Concept (single stage)looks like...68 B body...

Attached picture 5548437-PICT0694.jpg
Posted By: demoned

Re: single stage paint - 10/16/09 02:00 PM

That black will be fine I am going to stop at shop and get a time to bring it in thanks for all help. ed
Posted By: mikeysmopars

Re: single stage paint - 10/16/09 07:16 PM

That will absolutly work but as you said it has to be real close to dry because as with all dupont single stages, it will move the metallics if you shoot over it too soon. I run a truck collision center and we do that very thing but you need to be a little bit of a chemist to pull it off.
Posted By: Blues_Cuda

Re: single stage paint - 10/16/09 08:56 PM

Quote:

It turned out to be IH Red enamal straight from the farm store.

That's some pretty tough paint to boot. My family has been using it for years.

Attached picture 5549417-DSC02842.JPG
© 2024 Moparts Forums