Moparts

RARE 70 CUDA CONVERTIBLE ? HELP WANTED !

Posted By: Anonymous

RARE 70 CUDA CONVERTIBLE ? HELP WANTED ! - 10/12/09 07:26 PM

Hi Guys !, Im from Europa and own a , i guess , pretty rare MATCHING numbers 383 4bbl Cuda convertible, its an original export car ( y09) and im going to restore it soon. It has a lot of options and the most curios one is a two tone leather bucket ! interior of wich i think its NOT original to the car.,
The car is white now, but FY1 yellow originaly what colour it also will be again after the resto.

Could you guys help me out ? by starting to tell me iff this is a 1 of 1 car ? ( must be...) and how many export 383 4bbl autotrans cars were build , or better, came to europa ?....

PS ! i HAVE A MOST OF THE BUILDSHEET AN TAG DATE AND DECODED THAT ALREADY.. SO NO HELP NEEDED THERE ! THANKS !...

Ill have more questions FOR SURE ! , but hope to start with these above ...

Again its a BS27NOB car and has : Power-windows, steer ,disc brakes, top, elasto front bump , FY1, Ralley dash, buckets, all de moldings you could get.., light package, FM, 3 speed whiper and more..

The car came to Europa via an Austria chrysler
importer in the 70's and the added ( for road legal reasons !) OTHER electric mirrors with remote knob on the console, and a special head light switch on the colum instead of the normal Footswitch on the floor.. Officialy , thereby the are original items to the car.. because this dealer was the official chrysler importer in these
days ( although i will change them back to us specs most lightly..)

WELL.. TELL me please what you guys now about the build numbers etc , because we CANT find anything on these cars over here !..

And.. DID anyone EVER see these seat type ( vinyl style seats ) In LEATHER ?... i now the white will most surely be added , but the black leather REALY looks like original patern !... The fendertag doesnt state anything on that, and the buildsheet is missing JUST that info ! ( hole in the paper...).. so i asume its after added.. but.. maybe ? originaly some special seat type maybe ??... ( i guess not... )

THANKS IN ADVANCE... any info is welcome !!

With regards

Fred

Attached picture 5540789-Ext1.jpg

Re: RARE 70 CUDA CONVERTIBLE ? HELP WANTED ! - 10/12/09 07:27 PM

More pics....

Attached picture 5540793-DSC00022.JPG

Re: RARE 70 CUDA CONVERTIBLE ? HELP WANTED ! - 10/12/09 07:31 PM

More

Attached picture 5540799-Int2.jpg

Re: RARE 70 CUDA CONVERTIBLE ? HELP WANTED ! - 10/12/09 07:35 PM

More picsss

Attached picture 5540812-DSC00007.JPG

Re: RARE 70 CUDA CONVERTIBLE ? HELP WANTED ! - 10/12/09 07:37 PM

More even....

Attached picture 5540815-Ext5.jpg
Posted By: ph23vo

Re: RARE 70 CUDA CONVERTIBLE ? HELP WANTED ! - 10/12/09 07:37 PM

very cool car probably 1 of 1 for export but not 1 of 1 built looks like around 130 built total good luck dan

Re: RARE 70 CUDA CONVERTIBLE ? HELP WANTED ! - 10/12/09 07:50 PM

Hi there ! , thanks for that , although i read somewhere on this forum... only 36 3834bbl 335hp
automatics were ever build ?...and i believe around
140 or so in total ? ( 383's)

But i guess nobody now's how many were ( from total)
in these option / colour codes etc..

The worldfamous... mr Govier... never responds to
outside US mails.. .. So i cant get any info there..., i called, mailed, send pics.. want to "pay him just like you guys"... but no reply...
SO.. My hopes are here now ! for some more data !..
Posted By: stumpy

Re: RARE 70 CUDA CONVERTIBLE ? HELP WANTED ! - 10/12/09 08:15 PM

Even if you paid him it might take a year or more to get an answer.
Posted By: 6bblgt

Re: RARE 70 CUDA CONVERTIBLE ? HELP WANTED ! - 10/12/09 09:20 PM

Most cars will be a 1 of 1 when all of its options are considered. The leather is not original to the car, the seats have been redone. The pattern is similar to the vinyl seat pattern used in '70. Your fender tag should have the interior code "H6X9" for "Black Vinyl bucket seats".

There were 87 'Cudas convertibles (BS27_0B) built in 1970 for CANADA (Y07) & EXPORT (Y09)

I've heard a number for the Y07 cars but can't find it. Anybody have the CANADA only number?

There were 132 'Cuda convertibles built in 1970 for USA (Y05) with 383 & automatic (BS27N0B).
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: RARE 70 CUDA CONVERTIBLE ? HELP WANTED ! - 10/12/09 11:35 PM

Does the VIN on the dash begin with BS or 08 ?

Re: RARE 70 CUDA CONVERTIBLE ? HELP WANTED ! - 10/13/09 07:55 AM

THANKS SOFAR GUYS !.. would be nice to know how many went to Europa....Chrysler had , as you know, a factory in Rotterdam & Swiss ( schinznach) in the earlie 70's) but i believe this
car came straight from the states because it has no schinznach plates and all its original fender tags and dash vin etc ( a schinznach car dont have the full vin on the dash and no fendertag etc) so.. its even rarer.. because most EU cudas
and challys etc, came through Rotterdam and than went to Schinznach for end assemblie and sales etc)

SO ANY HELP IS WELCOME !...concerning build numbers in colour brakedowns, engine-trans breakdowns and export etc...

PS ITS A REAL BS27 code , no 08..

SEATS : Yeb i also think the are non original BUT ! strange thing is !.. AL THE TAGS and the seams look factory original ! and i even find the buildsheets behind the rearseat and behind the backing of the frontseats....., but the white
sides are added later , as i can tell by other thread and leather... STRANGE... but treu.
The car also has other strange options added as the mainlight siwtch on the collum ( instead of on the floor..) the mirrors ( but are added over here in Europa when imported i guess..)and than some other minor differences...
The rearbumper is ODD to.. its steal.. but it has the original yellow FY1 paint under the white repaint....

THANKS SOFAR GUYS !!!!

Fred
Posted By: satgtx

Re: RARE 70 CUDA CONVERTIBLE ? HELP WANTED ! - 10/13/09 01:35 PM

sounds like you answered most of your own questions. neat car,
Posted By: cudaized

Re: RARE 70 CUDA CONVERTIBLE ? HELP WANTED ! - 10/13/09 02:21 PM

Goedemorgen Pedalfred. Ik hoop dat u goed. Ik denk dat ik u kan helpen.

My name is Ola Nilsson.
I run the 1970-71 E-Body Convertible Registry.
I currently have 3 Y09 BS27N0B cars in the Registry, along with 68 Y05, and 1 Y07.
I may be able to answer some of your questions.
I have researched some information on the export cars and how the European orders came to fruition.

I will e-mail you personally.

Ola Nilsson
Posted By: cudaized

Re: RARE 70 CUDA CONVERTIBLE ? HELP WANTED ! - 10/13/09 02:27 PM

Quote:

Does the VIN on the dash begin with BS or 08 ?

Barry,

In my research, I have only seen the hardtop cars with the 08xxxxxx on the V.I.N.
It appears that the convertible cars were all finish-built at Hamtramck, then sent out.

Ola

PS: Did you finish the data DVD
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: RARE 70 CUDA CONVERTIBLE ? HELP WANTED ! - 10/13/09 02:40 PM

Hi OLA,

Did you recieve my e-mail?
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: RARE 70 CUDA CONVERTIBLE ? HELP WANTED ! - 10/13/09 04:01 PM

Interesting that it's coded as FY1 yet under the dash was painted white...

Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: RARE 70 CUDA CONVERTIBLE ? HELP WANTED ! - 10/13/09 04:11 PM

What's it with the European dudes with Mopars that are so insistant calling their cars 1 of 1???

The dude with the yellow 383 Challenger R/T vert from Sweden was the same way.
Posted By: migsBIG

Re: RARE 70 CUDA CONVERTIBLE ? HELP WANTED ! - 10/13/09 05:55 PM

Quote:

What's it with the European dudes with Mopars that are so insistant calling their cars 1 of 1???

The dude with the yellow 383 Challenger R/T vert from Sweden was the same way.

Maybe it's the only one they have ever seen in their village and asum it's 1 of 1 because of that. He's trying to get info, but I'm kinda wondering about the white paint on the floorboard and no overspray on the parts...........
Posted By: gomangoRTSE

Re: RARE 70 CUDA CONVERTIBLE ? HELP WANTED ! - 10/13/09 06:26 PM

I for one enjoy hearing from our European counterparts. Their stories and how they came about finding their particular Mopar.

Thanks for your input gentlemen.
Posted By: Pyper70

Re: RARE 70 CUDA CONVERTIBLE ? HELP WANTED ! - 10/13/09 06:37 PM

I have to chime in.

AutoxCuda....1of1 here is rare just it is in the States, except here, its rare to find a car over 5 liters. My buddy has a super rare car, while not 1 of 1, his Challenger will be mine one day Within the next 5 years possibly....I think 11 of his were built but how many are really in existence today hmm??

Don't rain on his parade or the Nordic one.

the OP....Sweet car indeed.
Posted By: Scott Carl

Re: RARE 70 CUDA CONVERTIBLE ? HELP WANTED ! - 10/13/09 06:40 PM

Quote:

.....but I'm kinda wondering about the white paint on the floorboard and no overspray on the parts...........

If the re-paint was done as part of a complete re-build, (interior removed) it would explain the lack of over-spray. Just a thought
Posted By: denfireguy

Re: RARE 70 CUDA CONVERTIBLE ? HELP WANTED ! - 10/13/09 06:46 PM

I am thinking with the handful of Mopars exported to Europe, there were not a lot of duplications. My local dealer would not order ten cars of the same color and model and I bet he sold more cars than all the importers in Europe did. So if it is not one of one, it probably is one of at most 10 which would still be pretty rare in my book. After all these years, it very well could be survivor one of one.
Makes me wonder, though, how many Mopars got there being brought over by GIs and other expats as opposed to Europeans ordering one from an importer.
With Mother Mopar's lack of record keeping, at least records that have survived, we may never know. That is why the registries are so valuable. At least the survivors can be documented.
Craig
Posted By: Pyper70

Re: RARE 70 CUDA CONVERTIBLE ? HELP WANTED ! - 10/13/09 06:58 PM

My buddies 71 Challenger was brought over in the mid 80s by a GI who brought it in salvaged condition to avoid paying the taxes on it. It arrived as a shell with the engine and trans out of the hull. Sat in the Federal scrap yard while the paperwork was done and then it went home with the soldier. A few years later the guy wants to sell the car but the original 4speed is out of the car and the 727 is hooked up to the 383 (original). My buddies dad bought the car for the equivalent for 2500USD back in 1988 AND a bottle of tequila. Been in his family ever since. Restoration beginning this winter as I loaded up a crate full of parts for his engine, suspension, and interior/body so we can bring her back to original. Original Red, Black interior, Black rag top. He wanted to paint it Plum Crazy but I talked him out of it.

To this day he pays the road tax of 50 bucks on his car because in 1988 the biggest engine registered from Chrysler of France (dunno why it was named from France) was 1800 cc's.

Re: RARE 70 CUDA CONVERTIBLE ? HELP WANTED ! - 10/14/09 10:33 AM

Hi There GUYS !

Yeb correct the car was completly repainted ( not restored ) in 1980-82 by its first owner ( im third)but as i rubbed away some paint under the hood the original colour was still there !
( see pick ).

Il explain the whole story on the car later , but is was imported by the official 70's AUSTRIA importer / dealer in that period. Althoughh you would expect the car beeing shipped to Rotterdam ( Holland) were Chrysler in these years had a factory-districhannel, and than shipped through to Schinznach SWISS , were MOST cars would get final assemblie and some EU changes needed were made for each individual country etc.. This car is however a real Export car, because it has all its tags, vincodes, and buildsgheet, were other MOST EU cars didnt have that because the were end assembled overhere and that meant NO fendertags NO US-Vincode ( but just part of the number) and NO buildsheet ( the worked on another platform ).
The car is even rarer because it had some changes
made for the Austria market as stated in the first
post...Question is.. did the do that in the states... or in Austria....

So that alone states a rare care..

MY 1 of 1 thought is not so crazy, not only! ( although also important) in options ( alot..) and colourcode, but mostly by maybe ? the only 383 4bbl convertible autotrans, export for europa car wich came out the factory in those days...
BUT, its not that i think thats most important !, but just very fun to now !..

We over here have less info on some detailed info of the chrylser plants, and the varies options and numbers build..
Posted By: Diego (not Ted)

Re: RARE 70 CUDA CONVERTIBLE ? HELP WANTED ! - 10/14/09 03:34 PM

You need to get over the 1 of 1 fetish - do they have Mopar Collector's Guide there? When I lived in Amsterdam, I don't recall MCG there but who knows?

I think you should be more than giddy about the fact that you have a rare American car originally imported to Europe. And, most certainly, we need people like you to keep the flame alive, so don't water down or puff up what you own because it can stand on its own merits. Plus, with Ola, you're in good hands.

Re: RARE 70 CUDA CONVERTIBLE ? HELP WANTED ! - 10/15/09 06:20 PM

Its not a fetis Diego... ...

Bu t it's just nice to now how rare the car is, i rather have a 1-1 car than 1-100000000 camaro's etc. any day !. And ofcourse i dont mean 1:1 because it has an empty ashtray or other doorknobs than standard...

Also, for me, its not like i dont like the car anymore if it's 1 of 100 or more etc , bijt its more to find out more about the car in general.

We have a live Moparscene in Europa ( Netherlands and Germany, Danmark / sweden particulary.. and
offcourse we have some less knowledge of details
than you guys...

Yeb.,. i hope to find out more from Ola and other
cuda conv owners about THEIR cars and options to !

COME GUYS : INPUT INPUT !!!...
© 2024 Moparts Forums