Moparts

Removing paint by blasting with baking soda

Posted By: Hooligan

Removing paint by blasting with baking soda - 07/10/08 04:55 PM

Anyone ever blast the paint off their car with baking soda and then have trouble getting the new paint to adhere even though the surface was washed several times?

'69 Hemi Super Bee
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Removing paint by blasting with baking soda - 07/10/08 05:00 PM

Legendary Motorcars does a couple things after sodablasting.
a) they do NOT touch the car with bare hands - all work between blasting and priming is done wearing surgical gloves
b) theyscuff the entire surface with scuffpads on disk grinders
c) the whole car is wiped with grease and wax remover and metalprep c) the car is primed
Posted By: klunick

Re: Removing paint by blasting with baking soda - 07/10/08 05:42 PM

I considered soda blasting the Barracuda. It was actually cheaper and faster to do it but there are issues with blasting that left me a little leary. Here is some info from my local blaster on what to do, use after the fact.

http://www.chesapeakesodaclean.com/pages/2c5/After-Soda-Blasting.html
Posted By: Hooligan

Re: Removing paint by blasting with baking soda - 07/10/08 07:35 PM

Thanx alot...both replys were very helpful.
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: Removing paint by blasting with baking soda - 07/10/08 07:42 PM

Quote:

Anyone ever blast the paint off their car with baking soda and then have trouble getting the new paint to adhere even though the surface was washed several times?

'69 Hemi Super Bee

Nothing to fear. Just prep the surface properly. No more work or steps needed if it was chemicaly striped or sand blasted. Just common sense.
Posted By: 71rm23

Re: Removing paint by blasting with baking soda - 07/10/08 07:44 PM

Quote:

'69 Hemi Super Bee

Not trying to rob your post. I was wondering the same thing (almost). Which is better: soda blasting or media blasting?
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: Removing paint by blasting with baking soda - 07/10/08 08:06 PM

Quote:

Quote:

'69 Hemi Super Bee

Not trying to rob your post. I was wondering the same thing (almost). Which is better: soda blasting or media blasting?

Soda is by far the best for paint. Less chance of metal warpage ect. where more agressive media creates heat and can do damage. The after prep is just common sense. The problem as I see it with soda the panel looks brand spankin new once blasted and someone may want to just wipe and prime. Thats where the problem comes. It just needs to be properly prepped for primer etching.
Posted By: klunick

Re: Removing paint by blasting with baking soda - 07/10/08 08:06 PM

My investigation led me to the conclusion that it depends on what condition the vehicle is. If it is a paint strip, Soda blasting is fine. If there is rust, media works better. One of the problems with soda is that I have read it can do funny things in the future. Soda is a basic, so I would have to think what I read refered to the fact that you must, and I repeat must, get all the soda out of the car after blasting. Soda can hold moisture and therefore lead to rust in the future. There were also major questions with how to clean the soda out, how many washes to do, any additives, etc. I believe I could have had the Barracuda blasted for about $800 but issues led me to choose media. My neighbor is a bodyman and he told me they had an Austin-Healey come and the guy came down with a portable plaster and did the work on site. I thought the Healey might be aluminum and he told me no it was regular metal and a lot of wood, and the job came out fine. For media, I plan on using glass bead. Not cheap, but it is non-porrous, tends to heat the metal much less than slag, and can get the rust as well as the paint. Hope my plans don't blow up in my face. I will be doing this in about 2 weeks.
Posted By: minivan

Re: Removing paint by blasting with baking soda - 07/10/08 08:54 PM

Quote:

My neighbor is a bodyman and he told me they had an Austin-Healey come and the guy came down with a portable plaster and did the work on site. I thought the Healey might be aluminum and he told me no it was regular metal and a lot of wood, and the job came out fine.

I remember my dads 54 Austin Healey 100-4, being steel on top and the sides were aluminum.. Or maybe it was the other way around.. The magnetic strip on the flashlight would not stick is how he found out..
© 2024 Moparts Forums