Moparts

Need some help cooling down this 440

Posted By: mcoderoadrunner

Need some help cooling down this 440 - 10/09/09 04:13 PM

I got the car running after the groups help. It only shoots fire initally and after heating up it stops, but noe the car runs hot enough to cook breakfast on top the manifold covers??? I am thinking to move to a 160 thermostat.... Is this a good idea or is there something else I need to consider?? Thanks Mopart friends.
Posted By: Dodgem

Re: Need some help cooling down this 440 - 10/09/09 04:16 PM

Lean?? list all your info 1000's of members one small brain!
Posted By: mcoderoadrunner

Re: Need some help cooling down this 440 - 10/09/09 04:27 PM

Please tell me how to rich the mixture. Can I do this from the air fuel adjustments on the side of the center carb?? Tom
Posted By: GTXKen

Re: Need some help cooling down this 440 - 10/09/09 04:33 PM

The stat is not the issue. Overheating is most often do to fuel mixture or timing issues, get those right first. There are lots of got references for setting a/f mixtures, learn to use the search function on this site and refer to the tech archive, these are your friends.
Posted By: fox

Re: Need some help cooling down this 440 - 10/09/09 04:48 PM

Take the spark plugs out and take a close up picture of them, post it here and we can tell you if it is lean.
If so you need to see what jets are in it and go 2-3 steps richer and try it.
I had a car doing the same, didn't think it was lean because it ran so well, smooth transitions and all. It would over heat at 55 mph!! richer jets cured it. Power went up and so did mpg.
© 2024 Moparts Forums