Moparts

Dakota Defrost Fan Not Working

Posted By: old340dog

Dakota Defrost Fan Not Working - 07/10/08 01:43 AM

I've got a 2004 Dakota Quad cab,V-8, 4x4. All the sudden my defrost fan switch for heat/AC isn't working.Any idea where to look to find the problem? Seems like I've seen posts with this problem a while back. It's a pain not having AC.Any suggestions? I hate to take it to a dealer, if I can fix it myself.
Posted By: furious

Re: Dakota Defrost Fan Not Working - 07/10/08 01:47 AM

Quote:

I've got a 2004 Dakota Quad cab,V-8, 4x4. All the sudden my defrost fan switch for heat/AC isn't working.Any idea where to look to find the problem? Seems like I've seen posts with this problem a while back. It's a pain not having AC.Any suggestions? I hate to take it to a dealer, if I can fix it myself.

If it is like my 90, there is a wirewound resistor network that controls the blower speed, very crudely. Should be easily removeable on firewall side with two sheet metall screws.
I do have a spare if you need it.
Posted By: noplanb

Re: Dakota Defrost Fan Not Working - 07/10/08 02:18 AM

Your blower resistor pack is fried. I have the same truck and just had the same problem.

The replacement costs $11.85 from Ma (part # 5174618AA), look for a connector between two 8mm screws under the glovebox, unscrew, take out the old pack, plug in the new one. Super easy fix the dealer would charge you $200 to do.
Posted By: old340dog

Re: Dakota Defrost Fan Not Working - 07/11/08 01:55 AM

Thanks for the info guys. Stopped by Mopar Dealer today after work and picked the part up. got home home installed it 15 minutes later my fan was working.
© 2024 Moparts Forums