Moparts

Wiring..Painless Alternative

Posted By: j.mcconnell

Wiring..Painless Alternative - 10/06/09 01:14 AM

What are the other options out there? Painless kits seems to be ridiculous at $400+. I've seen this http://www.rebel-wire.com/wirekits.shtml but don't know anyone that has used it. What else is out there?

I will be using it in a 73 Duster Strip/Street car.

Thanks
Posted By: landon1

Re: Wiring..Painless Alternative - 10/06/09 03:25 AM

i am currently installing a rebel wire harness. i was planning on using the basic 8 circuit kit, but they ended up sending me a 9+3 harness, which is the most popular i believe. basically, it is the same as the 8 circuit kit, but with ability to add-on, which is not my plan.

here's some pics of my install. harness seems to be pretty good quality - wires are nice. i've heard that if you lay a painless harness out, it's virtually identical, at much less cost. i'm working out hooking up wipers. i've done a custom dash, and am not utilizing stock climate controls. only using a switch that will run 12V to blower motor and a separate heater valve. so, i don't have that to mess with. i am using stock headlight switch and wiper switch. the headlight switch was easy to figure out. the wipers i am still working on, but basically just ran out of time during the weekend. i made a template and cut-out a panel for the new harness. this covers the large square hole for the bulkhead connectors using its mounting points and allowed me to cut the 1.25" hole for the harness and another .75" hole for my mechanical gauge tubes.

i still need to terminate the headlight and taillight wires as well as figure out the ignition, since i am not using the stock keyed switch.
Posted By: kick_the_reverb

Re: Wiring..Painless Alternative - 10/06/09 05:25 PM

This style of fuse block isn't the best idea for use as your main fuse block. They are the cheapest you can find, and I'd have a hard time trusting them. Of course, it might work for you with no problems.
Ran
Posted By: landon1

Re: Wiring..Painless Alternative - 10/07/09 12:14 AM

that doesn't sound very accurate considering it's the same set-up that painless uses and the same thing that GM used - i hear a lot of crap about GMs cars, but never electrical. if they work for hot rods and customs, why not in a muscle car? beyond that, everyone's concerned about out-sourcing. "made in the usa" - what other parts can you buy now that can say that, which are actually made here?
Posted By: slowpoke

Re: Wiring..Painless Alternative - 10/07/09 02:02 AM

Just because I've considered upgrading my harness as well and am also an electrical mental midget, I'm curious as to why you say this would not be the best main fuse block? What would be a better choice?
(Again, just curious!)
Posted By: j.mcconnell

Re: Wiring..Painless Alternative - 10/07/09 02:55 AM

ok after some more reading, i think i'll go with the rebelwire 8 circuit kit for lights and stuff then run a ARC panel for heavier stuff, start/fuel/fans/water etc.

saw a youtube vid on the ARC panel and I really like it.

hopefully i can wire the key in with push button start on the ARC as a theft deterrant and some how have the factory switch operate all the lights while a button on the ARC just does the taillights for the strip.

still end up with 400$ in it but i think ill like it
Posted By: Triggerfish

Re: Wiring..Painless Alternative - 10/07/09 03:50 AM

Josh, I sent you a PM & I have a brand new Painless 18 circuit non-GM keyed kit I'll let go for a great price.

Attached picture 5529850-PAINLESSBOXw.jpg
Posted By: kick_the_reverb

Re: Wiring..Painless Alternative - 10/07/09 06:21 AM

Quote:

that doesn't sound very accurate considering it's the same set-up that painless uses and the same thing that GM used - i hear a lot of crap about GMs cars, but never electrical. if they work for hot rods and customs, why not in a muscle car? beyond that, everyone's concerned about out-sourcing. "made in the usa" - what other parts can you buy now that can say that, which are actually made here?

What are you talking about?
Have you even looked at an OEM or Painless fuse block? What you showed here is a bunch of cheap auxilary fuse blocks snapped together.
OEM and Painless uses a differnt style of fuse block. They are not easy to get becasue I think Painless bought up most of the supply at one time.

Ran
Posted By: plumebody

Re: Wiring..Painless Alternative - 10/07/09 09:23 AM

Have had my painless 18 circuit installed for 8 years and never a problem. Like the bladed fuses and getting rid of 30 year old wire and fuses
Posted By: GTXKen

Re: Wiring..Painless Alternative - 10/07/09 01:32 PM

Check out Quikwire, made is Wisconsin, nice kit, good price, top quality wire. I wired my GTX with one of their kits
Posted By: Devil

Re: Wiring..Painless Alternative - 10/07/09 02:56 PM

I personally like the painless. It is setup for Mopars, all labeled, and is customizable. Worked real well in the Challenger.

Ryan
Posted By: 440challenger

Re: Wiring..Painless Alternative - 10/08/09 02:42 AM

I think the painless is a waste if your going to use it in a non race car . you still need oem harness's to cut off all the light sockets/ dash connectors etc. I had a painless half way installed in my 68 roadrunner and took it back out.For a non race car theres no need IMO
© 2024 Moparts Forums