Moparts

exactly how thick spacer for 383 intake on 440??

Posted By: toplescuda

exactly how thick spacer for 383 intake on 440?? - 10/04/09 01:59 AM

i know thay used to sell spacers to fit a 383-400 intake on a 440 motor a buddy at work has to make something for one of his classes so thought this would be something simple and he want to try to mill some so need to know exactly how thick thay were(please no guiessing replys)
anyone??
Posted By: stumpy

Re: exactly how thick spacer for 383 intake on 440?? - 10/04/09 02:14 AM

It would be easier just to buy a 440 intake. They aren't that expensive.

Re: exactly how thick spacer for 383 intake on 440?? - 10/04/09 02:18 AM

he has to make (mill) something on the mill at work for his class project
so scence the spacers are pretty stright foward and he can also use them later if he wants
thats what its gonna be lol
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: exactly how thick spacer for 383 intake on 440?? - 10/04/09 02:20 AM

He should makethe distributor spacer as his Lathe project...
Posted By: MoparJoe

Re: exactly how thick spacer for 383 intake on 440?? - 10/04/09 03:01 AM

1" per side, it needs spacers on the end seals but I'm not sure on those, one bad part is you have to run 2 bellypans which are expensive anymore.

One of my friends built spacers for his car so he could run the same intake/carb on his 2 motors- a 470 low deck and 496RB.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: exactly how thick spacer for 383 intake on 440?? - 10/04/09 03:28 AM

Just one pan and a set of paper gaskets.
Posted By: mr_340

Re: exactly how thick spacer for 383 intake on 440?? - 10/04/09 03:29 AM

I bought two of these from Mancini and their Chrysler Engineering Sale. The ones I have measure .850" (actually measured .851" with the calipers). I seem to remember the .850" dimension from an article in the old Mopar Performance News magazine from many years ago. These have a .030" deep step along the bottom to allow the bathtub valley pan to be trimmed and stuffed under the plates. I don't know if you are supposed to use a gasket on both sides, or just RTV one side to the head?

Re: exactly how thick spacer for 383 intake on 440?? - 10/04/09 04:32 AM

thanks guys
Posted By: DirectSubjection

Re: exactly how thick spacer for 383 intake on 440?? - 10/04/09 04:36 AM

can't get more precise info than that - Moparts yet again rules!
Posted By: CH3NO2

Re: exactly how thick spacer for 383 intake on 440?? - 10/04/09 05:19 AM

383 intakes are a inch shorter than the 440 in width. The ports and the intake manifold bolt holes won't line up no matter how far you raise it.

Re: exactly how thick spacer for 383 intake on 440?? - 10/04/09 05:24 AM

Quote:

383 intakes are a inch shorter than the 440 in width. The ports and the intake manifold bolt holes won't line up no matter how far you raise it.

Really??? Better explain that to all the folks that have done it for so many years...
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: exactly how thick spacer for 383 intake on 440?? - 10/04/09 02:07 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Really??? Better explain that to all the folks that have done it for so many years...

I'd like to know why ? many lowdeck intakes don't flow as well an RB intake , why put a crappy flowing intake on another motor when there are better intakes available ?

And I agree , the bolt holes will line up with the right spacer , the stage 6 heads require a spacer to install them with the RB intake on an RB block .

Re: exactly how thick spacer for 383 intake on 440?? - 10/04/09 02:27 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I'd like to know why ? many lowdeck intakes don't flow as well an RB intake , why put a crappy flowing intake on another motor when there are better intakes available ?

And I agree , the bolt holes will line up with the right spacer , the stage 6 heads require a spacer to install them with the RB intake on an RB block .

I don't have a good reason why other than the stage 6 heads

Re: exactly how thick spacer for 383 intake on 440?? - 10/04/09 02:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I don't have a good reason why other than the stage 6 heads

The stage 6 heads allow the use of an RB intake on a B block , spacers required on an RB block or use the M1 intake made especially for that application .

and my question was retorical
Posted By: dodgeboy11

Re: exactly how thick spacer for 383 intake on 440?? - 10/04/09 03:10 PM

Get some long bolts for the four corners and run them through the intake into the heads. This'll line everything up and then you can measure exactly how thick the spacers need to be. I'd suggest making them out of a phenolic material to keep the heat out of the intake and the carb.
Posted By: RemCharger

Re: exactly how thick spacer for 383 intake on 440?? - 10/05/09 04:30 AM

I recall .850 as well. I thought they did a shootout where a m1 B w/ spacers was better (more hp) than a 440 m1? Can't remember who" they "were, but I'm thinking a mid to late 90s mopar mag...
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: exactly how thick spacer for 383 intake on 440?? - 10/05/09 12:48 PM

what? Never heard of such an animal and i won't even try one if it was available. i mean you can get a used intake for $50-100.
Posted By: Ron_M

Re: exactly how thick spacer for 383 intake on 440?? - 10/05/09 01:55 PM

For a project, I would make a Torsion bar remover tool patterned after the miller tool. Or any tools for that matter. The distributor spacer mentioned before is a cool project too.
Posted By: Fury Fan

Re: exactly how thick spacer for 383 intake on 440?? - 10/05/09 02:20 PM

I measured my set of Stage6 plates a while back and they were 13/16" == .81".

If your buddy really wants to make a more-useful project -- if drilling at a suitable angle, the spacerplate is just about thick enough to drill for a fuel injector.

If we re-read the OP we can reasonably assume that simply installing a cheap used RB intake on an RB engine will get him an F on this machining class project.

Re: exactly how thick spacer for 383 intake on 440?? - 10/05/09 04:19 PM

Quote:

If we re-read the OP we can reasonably assume that simply installing a cheap used RB intake on an RB engine will get him an F on this machining class project.

WE ??? is there a mouse in your pocket ?

Sounds to ME like someone is taking a machining class and needs a project to make and the OP has a use for this useless project ?

Re: exactly how thick spacer for 383 intake on 440?? - 10/05/09 06:04 PM

ding ding ding we have a winer give that boy a prize
© 2024 Moparts Forums