Moparts

changing exhaust manifold

Posted By: 1BAD383

changing exhaust manifold - 09/30/09 01:17 PM

The driver side exhaust manifold cracked. Got another manifold and gaskets. The front stud stayed in and removed the nut. The next 3 were bolts, which came out. The next was a stud that came out. The last one was the long special bolt that came out. Replaced the 3 old bolts with stainless steel bolts and lock washers. Replaced the stud that came out with a new steel stud and reused the long special bolt. Used ultra copper high temp RTV silicone gasket maker on the bolts and the stud that was replaced. Cleaned all the treads. I have a leak. Did I use the wrong silicone.
Posted By: johnedod

Re: changing exhaust manifold - 09/30/09 01:31 PM

Ultra copper seems to be what most recommend. May have to let it sit overnight before refilling. The only thing I can think of that might have gone wrong is the special bolt is actually a special nut on a stud which came out when you took it apart. When you put it back together the stud may have barely started in the head and then the special nut may have tightened on the stud, with the stud not being far enough in the head to seal. That's just a guess of course! Good luck!
Posted By: DJVCuda

Re: changing exhaust manifold - 09/30/09 01:39 PM

www.remflex.com

last gaskets you will buy
© 2024 Moparts Forums