Moparts

best way to clean a aluminum 6pak intake

Posted By: demoned

best way to clean a aluminum 6pak intake - 09/17/09 12:44 AM

hello all what would be the best way to clean my 6pk intake my my 340 and what does LD6B stand for on it thks ed
Posted By: calrobb2000

Re: best way to clean a aluminum 6pak intake - 09/17/09 01:58 AM

hi
take it to your local autoparts and have it glass beeded , wash it good in warm soapy water befor you install it . it will look new !

ld = small block 6b = 6 bbl , it is a later edition not a 1970/71 .
Posted By: Nick Mineau

Re: best way to clean a aluminum 6pak intake - 09/17/09 02:25 AM

Quote:

hi
take it to your local autoparts and have it glass beeded , wash it good in warm soapy water befor you install it . it will look new !

ld = small block 6b = 6 bbl , it is a later edition not a 1970/71 .

you can polish it after that for a nice shine
Posted By: ahy

Re: best way to clean a aluminum 6pak intake - 09/17/09 02:58 AM

Higher end rebuild/reman shops glass bead and wash. Home remedies include oven cleaner, simple green and the dish washer.
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: best way to clean a aluminum 6pak intake - 09/17/09 04:26 AM

Ford PM1 or PM2 Idle control cleaner (spray or bottle) does very well on unpainted cast aluminum. Let it sit, scrub, then compress air dry.

I think it's got a lot of ammonia in it. Smells like it.
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: best way to clean a aluminum 6pak intake - 09/17/09 04:30 AM

I don't reccomend media blasting any part that comes into contact with engine oil or a fuel intake charge Intakes do both). Residual beads are nearly always hidden in cracks and crevices, behind pinch welds, baffles, etc. glass beads don't disolve in soapy water or anything else and can really cause havoc with your engines internals. The intake should be painted engine color anyway, no harm in just doing a thorough cleaning with the above solvent type cleaners and repaint it orange.

LD6B is Edlebrocks code name for the application (small block Mopar etc.)
Posted By: screamindriver

Re: best way to clean a aluminum 6pak intake - 09/17/09 01:34 PM

If, by chance the intake is still cast aluminum{no paint} there's a cleaner that does a great job...Eagle One brand rough cast{etching} aluminum wheel cleaner does the trick with intakes and trans cases...etc...It cleans without changing the texture as media blasting will do and has an active ingredient that will make the part look new...Just wear gloves and eye protection... You can buy it at any good auto parts store like Advance, Pep boys, etc...
Posted By: EWJ

Re: best way to clean a aluminum 6pak intake - 09/17/09 05:32 PM

Quote:

If, by chance the intake is still cast aluminum{no paint} there's a cleaner that does a great job...Eagle One brand rough cast{etching} aluminum wheel cleaner does the trick with intakes and trans cases...etc...It cleans without changing the texture as media blasting will do and has an active ingredient that will make the part look new...Just wear gloves and eye protection... You can buy it at any good auto parts store like Advance, Pep boys, etc...

I've done this before, but always results in a white residue showing up a week later.
Posted By: shanker

Re: best way to clean a aluminum 6pak intake - 09/17/09 09:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I've done this before, but always results in a white residue showing up a week later.

The white residue would be oxidation from the fresh metal being exposed to the environment.
Posted By: 440challenger

Re: best way to clean a aluminum 6pak intake - 09/18/09 02:05 AM

yes after etching you need to hit it with wd40 or clear coat it
© 2024 Moparts Forums