Moparts

Popping coming from my 8-3/4"

Posted By: StealthWedge67

Popping coming from my 8-3/4" - 07/07/08 01:27 AM

My 8-3/4" was rebuilt a year ago with all new bearings, seals, and a new clutch style sure-grip unit. It gives me a pretty heavy popping sound that you can feel when coming out of a slow speed tight corner. It never does it on a straightaway. At first I assumed it was the tight new sure grip unit struggling a little to slip around the corner. It also will turn over the inside tire a little bit on tight turns. But, its been a year or so now (approx. 2500 mi.) and its still making this noise. Could something be wrong in there? or is this normal? It was set up by a pro and I'd take it back to him, but it was a used gear-set and he said he wouldn't warranty it because of that. I may still end up taking it to him to check out, but what do you guys think of this....
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Popping coming from my 8-3/4" - 07/07/08 01:29 AM

are you using the GM hypoid additive?
Posted By: Lefty

Re: Popping coming from my 8-3/4" - 07/07/08 01:53 AM

Quote:

and a new clutch style sure-grip unit

I'm pretty sure the sound is the clutches sticking instead of slipping. I think it will grind itself to death without the correct sure-grip additive.

Re: Popping coming from my 8-3/4" - 07/07/08 02:32 AM

I'm using the Ford limited slip additive. Should I drain it & refill with fresh gear-oil & additive?

Re: Popping coming from my 8-3/4" - 07/07/08 03:46 AM

fords additive plain sucks. damage is already done IMO. time to tear it apart.
Posted By: CJK440

Re: Popping coming from my 8-3/4" - 07/08/08 03:30 PM

I use Posi-X fluid from the major parts chain.

I had this problem before and all I did was jack up the pass side of the axle only. open the fill plug and dump another tube of additive in it.

All good now.
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Popping coming from my 8-3/4" - 07/08/08 03:33 PM

Quote:

Actually Ford's additive is highly regarded. Its been a good choice for MANY years!
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: Popping coming from my 8-3/4" - 07/08/08 03:38 PM

Quote:

I use Posi-X fluid from the major parts chain.

I had better results with that stuff than the Ford additive.
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: Popping coming from my 8-3/4" - 07/08/08 04:32 PM

might have you broke a ring or pinion gear??? That's the sound mine made when I broke/chipped a few teeth. Especially on hard left hand turns
Posted By: DoctorDiff

Re: Popping coming from my 8-3/4" - 07/08/08 04:34 PM

That is a common problem. New, off-the-shelf clutch sure-grips are rarely assembled correctly. If a fresh change of gear lube and friction modifier doesn't do the trick, I would disassemble the unit, clean everyting then de-burr the casting around the clutch ears if needed. Be sure to pre-lube the clutch plates with straight friction modifier on assembly.

I prefer Ford friction modifier because it is actually rebranded OEM Spicer stuff.

Re: Popping coming from my 8-3/4" - 07/08/08 04:41 PM

Quote:

That is a common problem. New, off-the-shelf clutch sure-grips are rarely assembled correctly. If a fresh change of gear lube and friction modifier doesn't do the trick, I would disassemble the unit, clean everyting then de-burr the casting around the clutch ears if needed. Be sure to pre-lube the clutch plates with straight friction modifier on assembly.

I prefer Ford friction modifier because it is actually rebranded OEM Spicer stuff.

how about the GM syntho stuff (w/ modifier)? That's what I just put in my unit.
Posted By: DoctorDiff

Re: Popping coming from my 8-3/4" - 07/08/08 05:23 PM

That should also work. It may make the unit a little lazy, however.

Re: Popping coming from my 8-3/4" - 07/09/08 01:44 AM

Well, I'll try draining as much as I can out of it, then refilling it and adding another bottle of friction modifier. I'll report back when I get this done.

Thanks guys (except the guy who wants me to rebuild it already. For gods sake, man.... I'm glad you don't have my credit card!)

Re: Popping coming from my 8-3/4" - 07/09/08 02:01 AM

Quote:

Well, I'll try draining as much as I can out of it, then refilling it and adding another bottle of friction modifier. I'll report back when I get this done.

Thanks guys (except the guy who wants me to rebuild it already. For gods sake, man.... I'm glad you don't have my credit card!)

yah 2500miles still making noises, and you think a fluid change is the cure.
Posted By: 68Bullit

Re: Popping coming from my 8-3/4" - 07/09/08 02:13 AM

What ratio is it? Aren't a lot of gears that are steeper than 4.10 prone to popping around tight turns anyway?

Re: Popping coming from my 8-3/4" - 07/09/08 02:29 AM

It's a 3.91:1.
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Popping coming from my 8-3/4" - 07/09/08 07:10 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I would follow DoctorDiffs advice any day.
Posted By: CHRGR69

Re: Popping coming from my 8-3/4" - 07/09/08 07:41 PM

Quote:

This site is full of guys that just want to tear down and rebuild anything and everything!
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: Popping coming from my 8-3/4" - 07/09/08 08:14 PM

gets us off the puter and in the shop working on mopars

Re: Popping coming from my 8-3/4" - 07/09/08 10:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I would follow DoctorDiffs advice any day.

good for you

Re: Popping coming from my 8-3/4"****update****** - 10/22/08 01:43 AM

Just donned on me the other day that I never hear that popping sound anymore. draining and refilling with Napa friction modifier (as opposed to ford motorsport the first time) was all I did. It didn't stop immediately, but some months later now, & I can't remember the last time I heard it.
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Popping coming from my 8-3/4"****update****** - 10/22/08 03:08 AM

Sounds like you'd better pull it out & rebuild it....

Re: Popping coming from my 8-3/4" - 10/22/08 12:52 PM

You have a broken tooth or teeth on the ring gear
Posted By: 69Cuda340S

Re: Popping coming from my 8-3/4" - 10/22/08 04:32 PM

If the clutches weren't soaked in friction modifier prior to assembly it could take a while for the modifier to get in there.
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Popping coming from my 8-3/4" - 10/22/08 05:04 PM

Quote:

You have a broken tooth or teeth on the ring gear

Zing! Reading is a lost art...
Posted By: HealthServices

Re: Popping coming from my 8-3/4" - 10/22/08 05:08 PM

Long time ago when mine got noisy I did slow figure 8s (to work the lude into the clutches) in the parking lot after I put the additive in. Worked for me.

This was on a One ton chevy with a Dana.

Re: Popping coming from my 8-3/4" - 10/22/08 09:36 PM

I have an 8 3/4 rear right like yours but with 410 gears. Mine did the same exact thing yours is doing. I put a bottle of the mopar snake oil additive in it and it totally stopped doing it.I would try it before tearing it apart.

Thanks Moparts
© 2024 Moparts Forums