Moparts

My wife left the ignition on....

Posted By: 71pettyblue

My wife left the ignition on.... - 07/06/08 06:34 PM

...yesterday (at least 17 hours) on her '98 Durango, draining the battery, but that's not the half of it. I got the Durango to start with a jump from my Ram, but when I let go of the pedal, the engine dies. I'm assuming that the fuel pump was damaged and the Durango does not have enough fuel pressure to idle?

Any thoughts?
Posted By: DarrenS

Re: My wife left the ignition on.... - 07/06/08 06:37 PM

The battery probably is so low that the systems are not functioning correctly...

Darren
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: My wife left the ignition on.... - 07/06/08 06:39 PM

When you leave the ignition on, the computer will only power the fuel pump for a couple seconds to prime the system, then shut the pump off. Pump won't run continuously unless the computer detects the engine is running.

Modern EFI cars often don't run well with a dead battery when boosted. Throw the battery on the charger for an afternoon then put it back in and start it up. I'll bet it'll run fine.
Posted By: 71rm23

Re: My wife left the ignition on.... - 07/06/08 06:42 PM

Quote:

When you leave the ignition on, the computer will only power the fuel pump for a couple seconds to prime the system, then shut the pump off. Pump won't run continuously unless the computer detects the engine is running.

Modern EFI cars often don't run well with a dead battery when boosted. Throw the battery on the charger for an afternoon then put it back in and start it up. I'll bet it'll run fine.

Re: My wife left the ignition on.... - 07/06/08 06:42 PM

I'll charge the battery up, thanks for the tip guys.
Posted By: mopargem

Re: My wife left the ignition on.... - 07/06/08 06:57 PM

Happened to my Dakota once, it would hardly run. After disconecting battery for a few moments the computer reset itself and ran fine.
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: My wife left the ignition on.... - 07/06/08 07:29 PM

Start and keep running at high idle with a good charged battery and drive it a couple of miles and let the system reset and you will be fine. Been there done that.
Posted By: Paul_Fancsali

Re: My wife left the ignition on.... - 07/06/08 07:48 PM

If the battery totally discharged you will need to reset the idle speed motor Place your foot on the gas and hold the brake tightly.literally do a brake stand only with a very lite throttle.May take up to 2 min to set do not overheat the trans. I have had to do this a dozen times on my 318 360 FI engines when the driver killed the battery

Re: My wife left the ignition on.... - 07/08/08 04:07 AM

I put the battery on the charger for 5 hours and the Durango started and ran perfectly. Oh, my wife was trying to figure out why her Ipod wasn't working when she left the ignition on. Evidently, the key buzzer didn't come on when she opened the door.

Thanks to all who responded, I appreciate it.
Posted By: Vert

Re: My wife left the ignition on.... - 07/08/08 11:26 PM

Them dang'd 'lectrons make a run for it every time you leave the key on. The buzzer scares em back in. Fix it.
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: My wife left the ignition on.... - 07/08/08 11:36 PM

Not I the same league as yours but my wife left the key in the on position on my new riding lawnmower and it killed the battery and put 80 hours on my time meter. Mike
© 2024 Moparts Forums