Moparts

'70 a-body ps column to manual box?

Posted By: 70SWGR

'70 a-body ps column to manual box? - 09/03/09 05:03 PM

I know adapters are available but I seem to remember someone on here removing the pin then redrilling after fitting to a manual box?
Posted By: topside

Re: '70 a-body ps column to manual box? - 09/03/09 06:15 PM

Not sure on E-bodies, but B-bodies differ in column length and the gearbox splined shaft size PS/MS.
If that also applies to E-bodies, and I can't imagine it wouldn't, then IF you can swap the coupler you'll have to move the dash bracket about 1.5" and the steering wheel will be that much further away. I don't know if a PS shaft can be used in a MS column, but it would seem possible.
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: '70 a-body ps column to manual box? - 09/03/09 09:40 PM

I have seen people break the nylon pins for the collapsible column and slide the inner shaft out. You still need the adapter, and I personally would weld the inner shaft to the outer because it is pretty close to slipping out of the tube IIRC.
Posted By: superwrench

Re: '70 a-body ps column to manual box? - 09/03/09 11:27 PM

My 2 cents worth.......use the adaptor!!
Somehow that frigging with the steering shaft and stuff scares me.
I'm in the process of changing over to manual steering on my Challenger....and everyone I've talked to about it used the adaptor....pricey...but correct.
Posted By: GwaiiEagle

Re: '70 a-body ps column to manual box? - 09/04/09 12:22 AM

Keep the top half of the column intact.

Pull apart the upper and lower shafts. They are held together by plastic bolts.

Slide in manual shaft and attach box. Tack weld or reinsert new plastic bolts.

Adapters? We don't need no stinking adapters.
Posted By: 1969RR

Re: '70 a-body ps column to manual box? - 09/04/09 01:10 AM

Agree with SuperWrench! Don't mess with the steering shaft, don't weld! I switched from power to manual on my '69 Road Runner and bought the adapter from Rick Ehrenberg. I think he's a member of this board. I've bought a bunch of Mopar parts from Rick. Very nice guy, very knowledgable about chassis and steering. With his adapter everything bolted together easily and works perfect. Jeff
Posted By: 69L78Nova

Re: '70 a-body ps column to manual box? - 09/04/09 02:02 AM

Go to a junkyard and find a B-van with the adapter. Theyre not so uncommon
© 2024 Moparts Forums