Moparts

Smoking out of only one side of dual exhaust.

Posted By: twister360

Smoking out of only one side of dual exhaust. - 08/25/09 03:29 PM

I have a 74 Duster with a mild 360, headers, and dual exhaust. I do not have an h or x pipe in the system, just straight from engine to rear tips. I drove the car yesterday and noticed it blows smoke from the driver side exhaust. It smells like gas, but I am not sure. Is it possible for the car to be rich only on one side? I have about 1500 miles on the build and it does not use oil.

Thanks
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: Smoking out of only one side of dual exhaust. - 08/25/09 03:51 PM

I don't think it's possible to be rich on just "one side" because I think just about every intake, when at WOT, will feed 2 cylinders on each side from 1 circuit of the carb...for example, the front primaries would feed 1, 4, 6, 7. and the secondaries would feed 2, 3, 5, 8. or something similar to that--with most dual planes anyway....single planes would be more like front primaries on carb feed front 4 cylinders, and the secondaries feed the back 4 cylinders...

but, I don't know for sure, if the carb is gummed up or something it could be possible that one venturi is running rich, making 1 or 2 cylinders richer than the rest...

what color is the smoke? Blue/Grey? Black? White?
Posted By: patrick

Re: Smoking out of only one side of dual exhaust. - 08/25/09 03:55 PM

what color smoke? white=water, blue=oil, black=rich

if it's a dual plane manifold, typically one side of the carb feeds 1/2 the cylinders. on an eddie RPM or air gap, the DS of the carb feeds 1,7,4,6 and the pass side feeds 3,5,2,8 (looking at the pics on summit)
Posted By: ph23vo

Re: Smoking out of only one side of dual exhaust. - 08/25/09 04:06 PM

intake gasket or surface... dan
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: Smoking out of only one side of dual exhaust. - 08/25/09 04:57 PM

Quote:

intake gasket or surface... dan

could be sucking oil on one bank.

Re: Smoking out of only one side of dual exhaust. - 08/25/09 05:36 PM

Quote:

if it's a dual plane manifold, typically one side of the carb feeds 1/2 the cylinders. on an eddie RPM or air gap, the DS of the carb feeds 1,7,4,6 and the pass side feeds 3,5,2,8 (looking at the pics on summit)

I have a dual plane air gap. The smoke is blackish and smells somewhat of gas. Any test to check out the problem? Thanks
Posted By: Nick Mineau

Re: Smoking out of only one side of dual exhaust. - 08/25/09 07:39 PM

pull th plugs and note the diffrence inleft and right . if it is a fuel problem on side the plugs on that side will be black/charcol looking. they should be a gray/brown
Posted By: patrick

Re: Smoking out of only one side of dual exhaust. - 08/26/09 01:39 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I have a dual plane air gap. The smoke is blackish and smells somewhat of gas. Any test to check out the problem? Thanks

hmm...only thing I can think of would be an intake manifold gasket not sealing, causing a vaccuum leak on one side, leaning out that bank of cyls?

Re: Smoking out of only one side of dual exhaust. - 08/26/09 06:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

hmm...only thing I can think of would be an intake manifold gasket not sealing, causing a vaccuum leak on one side, leaning out that bank of cyls?

Could I spray starting fluid along the manifold gasket and see if it effects the running of the engine?
© 2024 Moparts Forums