Moparts

No Spark, had it before... now its gone.

Posted By: TKSax

No Spark, had it before... now its gone. - 07/03/08 12:25 AM

I have been working on getting my Challanger running after sitting for 5 years. When I started the first thing I checked was spark. It was there, however after the car stoped trying to turn over I checked again, and I have no spark now. I was thinking of replacing the coil and the ballast resistor as I do not know how old either is. Is that a good place to start? I checked all the connecitons already.

TIA!
Posted By: cjskotni

Re: No Spark, had it before... now its gone. - 07/03/08 12:33 AM

I had the exact same thing happen on my Charger. I thought the coil, wiring, and distributors at first but it turned out to be the ECU. Make sure the ECU has a good ground and then maybe pick up a cheap one for 15$ at a parts store if it still doesn't work.

Hope this saves you some aggrevation. BTW, my box passed all the "tests" that were in the Hayne's manual but was still bad. It's usually a good idea to have an extra ECU around anyways.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: No Spark, had it before... now its gone. - 07/03/08 03:17 AM

yes check that ECU,I just went thru (3)used ones that were good when I took them off & they went bad in storage.

Re: No Spark, had it before... now its gone. - 07/03/08 04:19 AM

OK sounds good, I think I have one that is brand new in a parts box.

Re: No Spark, had it before... now its gone. - 07/10/08 02:32 AM

Got a new ECU a "Blue" one and I know have spark and the car almost fired after I cleaned out the old gas in the carb and cleared the jets, I think I will have it running tommorow.

thanks!
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: No Spark, had it before... now its gone. - 07/10/08 04:07 AM

that's good news & in fact I have another truck I'm trying to get running that sometimes has spark & sometimes not,tomorrow I am going to r&r a known good ECU.
Posted By: UCUDANT

Re: No Spark, had it before... now its gone. - 07/10/08 04:04 PM

FYI Some of the ballast resistors had different resistance values to match the hotter than stock boxes.
When ever you have trouble with spark, even if changing the ECU box fixes the issue check the reluctor gap in the distributor (0.008-0.012 IIRC) with a brass feeler gauge. I have had intermitant spark due to a larger gap. I have also witnessed a guy who would swap between 2 coils to get the car going again when it was warm....same issue, I told him to check his reluctor gap and that fixed it

Re: No Spark, had it before... now its gone. - 07/11/08 01:42 PM

Quote:

FYI Some of the ballast resistors had different resistance values to match the hotter than stock boxes.
When ever you have trouble with spark, even if changing the ECU box fixes the issue check the reluctor gap in the distributor (0.008-0.012 IIRC) with a brass feeler gauge. I have had intermitant spark due to a larger gap. I have also witnessed a guy who would swap between 2 coils to get the car going again when it was warm....same issue, I told him to check his reluctor gap and that fixed it

Thanks I'll check that.

BTW it Lives!!!

http://www.tksax.com/whohoo.avi

Running for the first time in 5 years.

Re: No Spark, had it before... now its gone. - 07/15/08 05:53 PM

Did you fix it yet?

Re: No Spark, had it before... now its gone. - 07/18/08 02:18 AM

© 2024 Moparts Forums