Moparts

Maserati Quattroporte w/ Chrysler V8?

Posted By: FM3_1970

Maserati Quattroporte w/ Chrysler V8? - 08/22/09 05:49 PM

Just saw listing in local trader for a 1984 Maserati Quattroporte with Chrysler V8. Anybody ever heard of something like this? The TC by Maserati was in '87 and had the 2.2, IIRC, so I'm presuming that the V8 in a RWD would be a transplant. Was there a kit, or would this be a homebrew? Seller's asking almost $4k and it's a "was running before parked" car (which might've been right before they swapped the engine ).
Posted By: Rug_Trucker

Re: Maserati Quattroporte w/ Chrysler V8? - 08/22/09 08:30 PM

Maybe a V-6 Mitsubishi?
Posted By: Lefty

Re: Maserati Quattroporte w/ Chrysler V8? - 08/22/09 08:31 PM

Definitely a swap. You couldn't get that car registered in some states, so buyer beware...

http://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHMQ...ti+Quattroporte
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Maserati Quattroporte w/ Chrysler V8? - 08/22/09 10:17 PM

I have a Lamborghini book that list some Espada's with 727 Torqueflite transmission.
Posted By: FM3_1970

Re: Maserati Quattroporte w/ Chrysler V8? - 08/22/09 10:38 PM

Quote:

I have a Lamborghini book that list some Espada's with 727 Torqueflite transmission.

I Googled the Quatroporte before I posted my original question. Apparently the '84 came with a 4.9 Maserati V8 and a 727 TorqueFlite, so I suppose the swap is feasible. I was just wondering if this swap was something relatively "common," like the Volvo/Chev 350, or was just an example of inspired backyard engineering.
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Maserati Quattroporte w/ Chrysler V8? - 08/22/09 10:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I Googled the Quatroporte before I posted my original question. Apparently the '84 came with a 4.9 Maserati V8 and a 727 TorqueFlite, so I suppose the swap is feasible. I was just wondering if this swap was something relatively "common," like the Volvo/Chev 350, or was just an example of inspired backyard engineering.

I don't think the Volvo with a Chevy 350 is that common.

But the most common 70's/80's swap was a Jaguar XJ with Chevy 350. There were a number of shops around here in L.A. that did lots of them.

My dads mechanic from the early 60's to early 80's. As a kit I remember he had Jag V12's scattered all over his shop. Some piled on top of others. The 6's he'd dump.
Posted By: Faust

Re: Maserati Quattroporte w/ Chrysler V8? - 08/22/09 11:45 PM

My local boneyard had one of those a few years ago. I looked under the hood (tough to do with the rust) and I seem to remember that it was a V-8. Definitely not a Mopar V-8.

Oh yeah, a piece of the hood came loose in my hand. Check that car for rust.
Posted By: Faust

Re: Maserati Quattroporte w/ Chrysler V8? - 08/22/09 11:47 PM

The "Quatroporte" (Italian for "four doors") has nothing to do with the Maserati TC, it is a pretty big four door sedan.
Posted By: pishta

Re: Maserati Quattroporte w/ Chrysler V8? - 08/23/09 04:36 AM

I thought the Quattroporte was a 4 valve per cylinder? Those were big ugly cars, looked like LEGO designed the body lines. Just saw a beater in a bad part of town....My ex- bro in law had a Mas Bi-turbo, was smaller and probably a lot faster.
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: Maserati Quattroporte w/ Chrysler V8? - 08/23/09 01:54 PM

Quote:

I thought the Quattroporte was a 4 valve per cylinder? Those were big ugly cars, looked like LEGO designed the body lines. Just saw a beater in a bad part of town....My ex- bro in law had a Mas Bi-turbo, was smaller and probably a lot faster.

Not all!

Attached picture 5434979-800px-Maserati_Quattroporte_-_1.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums