Moparts

Header leak issue....

Posted By: moparguy1967

Header leak issue.... - 07/23/09 09:08 PM

My car has a header leak. Im getting some popping from the exhaust when I let my foot off the gas at speed. I have a magnum 360 in my 71 valiant. I used my out LA style header, but I have a leak on the #1 header tube. Im using LA style gaskets. Do you think using a magnum header gasket would help seal it better, and is thier any kind of a high temp sealent the could help. Any ideas?
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: Header leak issue.... - 07/23/09 09:15 PM

I used a set of napa ultra seal header gasket and the high temp copper rtv

on both sides of gasket and letting it hang on a wire for 15 mins to cure some

instaled the gasket and header bolts just snuged up some,let sit over night,torqued the bolts down tight by hand

no leaks for about 3 yrs till I pulled the engine

this was a used set of headers and pitted on the flange and warped some

I used a flat file and smoothed the flange flat around the port

68 Dart 318 A body 73 k-frame...

I know what ya mean on tight fit and header leaks

I also removed the studs in the heads for ease of installation

good luck
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Header leak issue.... - 07/23/09 11:08 PM

Get a set of Remflex header gaskets.
Posted By: DJVCuda

Re: Header leak issue.... - 07/23/09 11:49 PM

Quote:

Posted By: moparguy1967

Re: Header leak issue.... - 07/23/09 11:56 PM

Since Im running a Magnum head with LA headers which gasket would you use? Is it better to match the head or the header?

LA

Magnum
Posted By: CoreyWilson

Re: Header leak issue.... - 07/23/09 11:57 PM

I've had decent luck with Percy's ultra seal header gaskets on 2 big blocks and a small block. Not sure if they are the same as the Napa Ultra seals or not. These gaskets are made of several layers of a soft aluminum material and, according to the package, reusable, but I've never had the headers back off on any of my trucks. They're around $25 a set, but worth it in my opinion. I've also used the paper ones that come with most headers but coated them with permatex ultra copper on both sides like previously suggested.
Posted By: GO_Fish

Re: Header leak issue.... - 07/24/09 12:57 AM

Quote:

Since Im running a Magnum head with LA headers which gasket would you use? Is it better to match the head or the header?

LA

Magnum

I'd go with the Magnum gasket because it has more "meat" at the bottom of the port where you will tend to have trouble. But the Remflex is good enough that probably either style will seal you up. I had a stubborn leak between my magnum head and 340 HP manifold, and the Remflex cured it.
Posted By: Magnum

Re: Header leak issue.... - 07/24/09 02:35 AM

Most header leaks are fault of the headers.

Remove the header and inspect the gasket. Find the leak and study the sealing surface of the header.

5/16" flanges also make this a losing battle.
Posted By: Blakcharger440

Re: Header leak issue.... - 07/24/09 04:09 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I purchased a set of the Remflex header gaskets before installing my set of headers and I am sure glad I did. It is a great product and gives me a piece of mind that I will not have any leaks there....it is a fairly thick gasket with great crush!
Posted By: Junky

Re: Header leak issue.... - 07/24/09 04:48 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Posted By: Noblewk

Re: Header leak issue.... - 07/24/09 04:59 AM

Quote:

Most header leaks are fault of the headers.

Remove the header and inspect the gasket. Find the leak and study the sealing surface of the header.

5/16" flanges also make this a losing battle.

Tig a bead around the ports on the flange and then mill them, leaving a lip for the flange to seal into the gasket. You can mill them with a Belt Sander......
Posted By: Robbins

Re: Header leak issue.... - 07/24/09 05:25 AM

Quote:

Quote:

....though I just runt a set before I even had a chance to use run the motor. Had leaks around some bolts that I tried to helicoil after I broke two studs off on my 440. So if you by chance break a stud off....pressurized the system to see if you have any leaks before you put these high dollar gaskets on. I've learned my lesson with that.
Posted By: 1fastrunner

Re: Header leak issue.... - 07/24/09 10:59 AM

I wouldn't call them high dollar, but high quality. You can get them on Amazon.com for under $30 and usually with free shipping.
Jim
Posted By: lokalik

Re: Header leak issue.... - 07/24/09 01:44 PM

i had a set of hookers that leaked.it was suggested to cut the flange between the ports so that the header would bolt up flat to each port. this was on a bb, it did stop the leak. on another set of hookers there was no tube extending pass the flange, basically there was lip to push against the head. we used a mig welder to build up the lip so that it would push the gasket against the head, this worked also. if you do this you will probably have to lightly grind (i used a flat file) the weld to get it flat. use a straight edge, lay it across the weld and you can see what you have to do to get the lip even and flat to each other.
© 2024 Moparts Forums