Moparts

Turning Your Wedge Into a Hemi

Posted By: 7DRRunner

Turning Your Wedge Into a Hemi - 07/19/09 10:52 AM

anyone here tried this ?

from Stage V

"Since 1986, people the world over have enjoyed affordable Hemi power thanks to the Stage V wedge-to-Hemi Conversion heads. Based on inexpensive yet extremely rugged 440 wedge block, the Stage V Hemi Conversion motor offers more power than the original 426 Hemi while costing thousands less. A few simple block modifications using common hand tools are all it takes to bolt these high flowing Hemi heads to any wedge block.
Stage V Conversion heads start out as foundry fresh castings which incorporate numerous revisions allowing them to be used on any B or RB wedge block. The stock outward appearance has been preserved for those with an interest in getting the impressive good looks of an actual Hemi. But inside, our Conversion heads feature improved ports which will out flow any similarly prepared 426 Hemi head. It's the best of all worlds original looks, low cost and better performance.

The intake port openings on all Conversion heads are 10% large than stock for enhanced breathing and stock Hemi manifolds bolt right on. The increased intake port dimensions allow the engine builder to enlarge the intake manifold runners to match if maximum output is desired.

All Stage V Conversion heads accept 2.25" intake valves and 1.900" exhaust valves. The smaller exhaust valves are proven to flow more air than the stock 1.94" unit. Also chances of valve-to-valve contact during overlap with radical cams is greatly reduced. Although the head appears to be able to accept dual spark plugs, the repositioned exhaust rocker shaft specific to Conversion heads prevents the use of dual plugs. Besides, unless you are running blown fuel, dual plugs do little more than add to expense and complexity.

Specific Stage V Hemi Conversion rocker arms and stands are required, along with some necessary support items.

SPECIFICATIONS:
Intake Seats: 2.25", Exhaust Seats: 1.900",
Chamber Volume: 168 cc
OPTIONS:
10 bolt intake manifold pattern or stock 16 bolt configuration. Stock low exhaust port or raised port. Stock or aftermarket exhaust manifold/header bolt patterns available.

Stage V Engineering, Corp.
P.O. Box 827, Walnut, CA 91788-0827,U.S.A. phone: (909)594-8383, Email: info@stagev.com

http://www.stagev.com/pages/hcheads.html
Posted By: BigTerry

Re: Turning Your Wedge Into a Hemi - 07/19/09 02:58 PM

I alway want to build me a hemi with their kit to put in my superbee but I have sold the bee and never could get the cash for it anyway....
Posted By: 440fied

Re: Turning Your Wedge Into a Hemi - 07/19/09 03:58 PM

Check out these articles from Hot rod magazine, writer Steve Magnante did it a few years back and shoehorned the motor into his 67 Dart.

Wedge to Hemi Conversion

67 Hemi Dart
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Turning Your Wedge Into a Hemi - 07/19/09 04:50 PM

I thought these conversion heads had basically been shelved by stage v. The way I heard it was there wasn't a huge market for these because of the cost and they were busy enough doing heads for real hemis so these were put on the backburner.

For the extra cost of these heads and their application specific rocker setup would you be any further ahead from buying a repop hemi block?
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Turning Your Wedge Into a Hemi - 07/19/09 05:14 PM

If I didn't have all the stuff laying around for a hemi that I do, I would build one. My engine builder has built a couple of them, and they were just awesome. Not cheap, but just as fun as a real hemi.
Posted By: cogen80

Re: Turning Your Wedge Into a Hemi - 07/19/09 05:49 PM

just don't see the point these days. with all the aftermarket hemi stuff out there now just build a real one.
Posted By: Triggerfish

Re: Turning Your Wedge Into a Hemi - 07/19/09 06:39 PM

Heard Stage V also has the conversion for the low deck blocks. A 400 block's larger bore, lighter weight & strength would make for a great "Hemi".

Re: Turning Your Wedge Into a Hemi - 07/19/09 06:54 PM

Quote:

Heard Stage V also has the conversion for the low deck blocks. A 400 block's larger bore, lighter weight & strength would make for a great "Hemi".

Do they make an intake to fit also? Cause a standard wedge intake won't.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Turning Your Wedge Into a Hemi - 07/19/09 07:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Do they make an intake to fit also? Cause a standard wedge intake won't.

This is about the only advantage left, making a B motor, if you were trully dedicated to the cause,...the Stage V conversions were great back in the day when we thought Hemi parts, nevermind Crate motors would never be available,.......for the aggrevation of modding the block, turning pistons, getting the valvetrain geomertry squared away, plus IIRC Stage V never addressed the issuse of an intake for the B motor, not that it can't be done, a good sheetmetal fabricator with intake manifold design knowledge could do the job,......but with all that's available today to screw a "true" Hemi together,.....I don't see the point?
Posted By: terzmo

Re: Turning Your Wedge Into a Hemi - 07/19/09 07:31 PM

Quote:

just don't see the point these days. with all the aftermarket hemi stuff out there now just build a real one.

"A real one" WOW.. what makes a hemi a hemi is the heads not the block I would assume. So all 50's hemi's and 5.7 and 6.1 are NOT hemi's because they are not with a 426 block? Rubbish. If the 440 is girdled,The setup is just as strong,if not stronger than a 426

Re: Turning Your Wedge Into a Hemi - 07/19/09 07:39 PM

Posted By: terzmo

Re: Turning Your Wedge Into a Hemi - 07/19/09 11:05 PM

Posted By: rabid scott

Re: Turning Your Wedge Into a Hemi - 07/20/09 12:54 AM

Ladies, take a chill pill....

The Stage V website hasn't changed in years, do they even still offer this stuff?
Posted By: Triggerfish

Re: Turning Your Wedge Into a Hemi - 07/20/09 01:17 AM

You're right & totally forgot about the intake issue for a B block. I know the 400 is a stronger block than the 440 & weighs less, but w/ all the fabrication & hassle needed to bring it to life, I could probably build an all aluminum Hemi for not a whole lot more. Still would like to see how a low deck hemi would perform.

Re: Turning Your Wedge Into a Hemi - 07/20/09 01:45 AM

FWIW you know darn well all he meant by a "real" hemi block was a block designed from the ground up to run the hemi heads, not one that takes modding and pricey conversion heads that are no longer on the market. He never said anything about the earlier/later Hemis, I don't know where you're getting that stuff from, and since they were Hemis from the factory designed to run hemi heads, they are also "real" Hemis FWIW.

Re: Turning Your Wedge Into a Hemi - 07/20/09 11:36 AM

Knock it off!

Re: Turning Your Wedge Into a Hemi - 07/20/09 05:18 PM

Stage V makes a low deck dual 4 intake to match their heads, if you want a 383/472 or 400/499 or bigger, stroker hemi motor. Here is a pic right from their website.

Re: Turning Your Wedge Into a Hemi - 07/20/09 05:28 PM

You could also modify a fuel injection setup from Hilborn to fit the low deck blocks.

hilborn injection
Posted By: RemCharger

Re: Turning Your Wedge Into a Hemi - 07/20/09 06:47 PM

The 383 Hemis were the best ones in prostock.."back in the day".
Posted By: 74Scamp

Re: Turning Your Wedge Into a Hemi - 07/20/09 07:46 PM

Quote:

Quote:

"A real one" WOW.. what makes a hemi a hemi is the heads not the block I would assume. So all 50's hemi's and 5.7 and 6.1 are NOT hemi's because they are not with a 426 block? Rubbish. If the 440 is girdled,The setup is just as strong,if not stronger than a 426

The new 5.7 and 6.1 Hemis are not true hemi head engines - close, but not quite the true, hemispherical head that we all know and love.

Re: Turning Your Wedge Into a Hemi - 07/21/09 02:07 AM

Quote:

The 383 Hemis were the best ones in prostock.."back in the day".

Yep, now we can all have those 383 Hemis and 440 Hemis that everyone had in their car/truck/station wagon/go-cart "back in the day".
Posted By: PC-CHARGER

Re: Turning Your Wedge Into a Hemi - 07/21/09 02:34 AM

How's this??

Attached picture 5365511-HPIM273.jpg

Re: Turning Your Wedge Into a Hemi - 07/21/09 02:39 AM

Quote:

How's this??

Awesome!
Posted By: FASTBACK66

Re: Turning Your Wedge Into a Hemi - 07/21/09 03:03 AM

Quote:

anyone here tried this ?

Yep. I helped build one maybe 5 years ago or so. Used a 440 block and had to heavily modify (grind down) the push rod area to get the angle correct. Also drill a big hole in the back bell housing area for oil drain back from the heads. Never got to hear it fire though. Guy sold the car to somebody on the west coast. Went into a 1970 Roadrunner. Hemi orange with white interior. Bench seat 4-gear.4.10 Dana. Gary (the owner) said the heads alone were 6 grand. Without any extras like Valve covers or internals I think.Sure looked wicked though.

Vinny

Attached picture 5365577-stagevhemi.jpg
Posted By: Dusted_Ya

Re: Turning Your Wedge Into a Hemi - 07/21/09 03:30 AM

My acura had awesome double overhead cam hemi heads!

Posted By: Dodgem

Re: Turning Your Wedge Into a Hemi - 07/21/09 10:40 AM

Quote:

How's this??

Those 383 hemi powered stickers were sold at Canadian tire in the sixties and real early seventies.
Posted By: PC-CHARGER

Re: Turning Your Wedge Into a Hemi - 07/21/09 12:40 PM

Thanks. I wondered where they came from.
© 2024 Moparts Forums