Moparts

Challenger Seat differences

Posted By: Russ_B_10

Challenger Seat differences - 07/18/09 03:19 AM

I bought a pair of replacement seats for my 71 Challenger. The look similar but after I removed the seat backs I saw that they are different. My orginal seats are hollow in the back and I can see the springs. The replacement seats have that cavity filled with molded seat foam. Any idea what the replacement seats are out of and will they work with 71 replacement seat foam and covers?
Posted By: Scott Carl

Re: Challenger Seat differences - 07/18/09 03:43 AM

Sounds like your "replacements" are a later model. Did they have vinyl back covers or hard plastic shells? Not sure when the change was, but my '74 has vinyl backs and while I haven't taken them apart yet, I'm pretty sure there's foam padding underneath. Hope this helps.
Scott C.
Posted By: burdar

Re: Challenger Seat differences - 07/18/09 11:21 AM

I think 70-72 used an open back seat cover and a plastic seat back panel. 73-74 used a closed back seat cover which did away with the plastic seat back. You probably got newer seats that someone put the plastic back on just like Scott said above.

Re: Challenger Seat differences - 07/19/09 04:38 AM

Both of these seats have a screw on plastic cover on the back which wrap around and cover the hinges. Its the upper seat foam that is different. I just want to make sure the replacement seats will work before I get rid of the orginal set.

Attached picture 5361401-Picture046.jpg

Re: Challenger Seat differences - 07/19/09 04:39 AM

Here is the replacement seat.

Attached picture 5361404-Picture047.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums