Moparts

Light weight advance springs for Dist

Posted By: express

Light weight advance springs for Dist - 06/23/09 11:36 PM

I have a 79 Lil Red Express 360 stock. I have some Mopar dist springs I bought 25 years ago. Both of the new springs are lighter than the lightest one in the dist now.

These seem awful light to me, will these work better that stock or not.?

Stock has one light & one heavy spring.
thanks, Doug
Posted By: ohiodemon

Re: Light weight advance springs for Dist - 06/23/09 11:41 PM

probably the best thing you can do is put them in and try it out.
set your initial timing where you currently have it.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Light weight advance springs for Dist - 06/24/09 12:27 AM

Quote:

Stock has one light & one heavy spring.
thanks, Doug

I'd keep the light one, toss the heavy one & add one of your MP light springs

Attached picture 5311203-dirstspringcurves.jpg
Posted By: cogen80

Re: Light weight advance springs for Dist - 06/24/09 12:32 AM

keep the lighter spring thats in the dist now. and replace the heavy spring with one of the ones you bought 25 years ago. should bring total timing in about 2200 +/- rpm.
Posted By: quickd100

Re: Light weight advance springs for Dist - 06/24/09 10:27 AM

Just remove the one heavy stock spring and leave that slot blank. With one factory lite spring your total advance should be all in around 21-2200rpm. Those real lite aftermarket springs will be all in around 1100rpm. Dave
Posted By: express

Re: Light weight advance springs for Dist - 06/24/09 01:44 PM

Thanks guys, that's what I will try.
Thanks Robert for the chart too! Man when does the stock springs go to full advance Must be 2800 with size of that spring!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Light weight advance springs for Dist - 06/24/09 03:53 PM

I use the real light Mr. Gasket springs part # 925B.

Full advance is in by 1200 or so.

Works great on the street.
Posted By: captaindodge

Re: Light weight advance springs for Dist - 06/24/09 04:25 PM

I run no springs in my '69 440 r/t for over a year now with no problem and the timing light is steady.

Re: Light weight advance springs for Dist - 06/24/09 07:01 PM

Quote:

Thanks guys, that's what I will try.
Thanks Robert for the chart too! Man when does the stock springs go to full advance Must be 2800 with size of that spring!

The other springs listed are in a Crane kit that is no longer available but I'm sure nowadays there are other springs available(MSD??). yes the stock setup w the light spring and the heavy one w the long loop it'd be lucky to be all in by 2800
Posted By: 70Duster440

Re: Light weight advance springs for Dist - 06/24/09 09:51 PM

I don't mean to hijack this thread but it raises questions. Everyone's always talking about having their total timing all in by 2500 rpm or thereabouts. When Don at FBO set up my distributor, mechanical doesn't start until about 2200 and is all in by 3400. (Of course, with the vacuum advance, it does start advancing at lower rpms).

Question is, why pick one rpm level as your target total over another? What advantage would I have with my total (34*) in by 2500 vs. 3400?

Re: Light weight advance springs for Dist - 06/25/09 01:41 AM

Quote:

I don't mean to hijack this thread When Don at FBO set up my distributor, mechanical doesn't start until about 2200 and is all in by 3400. (Of course, with the vacuum advance, it does start advancing at lower rpms).
Question is, why pick one rpm level as your target total over another? What advantage would I have with my total (34*) in by 2500 vs. 3400?

Not a hijack at all, that is a legitimate Q. You want as much advance as it will take wo pinging at any rpm/load/temp and engines can have full adv wo pinging in the 2500 range(or sooner). Those #'s(2200-3400) dont sound right

Re: Light weight advance springs for Dist - 06/25/09 04:47 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I don't mean to hijack this thread When Don at FBO set up my distributor, mechanical doesn't start until about 2200 and is all in by 3400. (Of course, with the vacuum advance, it does start advancing at lower rpms).

Not a hijack at all, that is a legitimate Q. You want as much advance as it will take wo pinging at any rpm/load/temp and engines can have full adv wo pinging in the 2500 range(or sooner). Those #'s(2200-3400) dont sound right

The dizzy was tagged with the specs and I have verified them (total timing @ rpm). Just don't know why he chose them. (And if you've ever tried to talk to Don, well, you know it's a challenge). Maybe I need to experiment. If it will make for snappier response on the street, I'm for it. Thanks.

Re: Light weight advance springs for Dist - 06/25/09 12:05 PM

You have no mechanical adv until 2200 rpm? just off of idle as the rpms climb you would need the spark to start advancing & I had an eng I was playing with & I used one of those I believe lean burn dizzys w no adv & it got way hot fast from the retarded timing in the driveway just from goosing the throttle. I had a ph conversation w Don @ FBO & it went real well and I even get along w Dave Hughes

Re: Light weight advance springs for Dist - 06/25/09 04:41 PM

Don's a better talker than a listener - at least in my experience. Yes, mechanical starts pretty late. Vacuum, a few hundred off idle (don't recall the exact rpm).
Posted By: 383man

Re: Light weight advance springs for Dist - 06/25/09 10:39 PM

Quote:

I use the real light Mr. Gasket springs part # 925B.

Full advance is in by 1200 or so.

Works great on the street.

Same here as the Mr Gasket springs work great on my combo. I like a quick advance as long as it don't ping. Helps the low end. Ron

Re: Light weight advance springs for Dist - 06/25/09 11:41 PM

I ordered the #925B kit - which is supposed to be rated at 2000 - 2800 rpms. It will be here tomorrow.

Not sure if I should throw them in or mix and match with what I have. Right now there's a black and a silver and they're bringing mechanical in late.

Attached picture 5315154-DizzySprings.jpg

Re: Light weight advance springs for Dist - 06/25/09 11:55 PM

The black one looks heavier, I would R&R it w (1) of the mr gasket ones & see what you get.
Posted By: bigslant6fan

Re: Light weight advance springs for Dist - 06/26/09 01:22 AM

Just remember every one,The MP distributors built in the last 5-10 years have a Mallory style advance mechanism (like 70 duster,s).The correct kit is MP#P5153446.Springs intended for the older OEM distributors may work but the calibration chart may be off-I,ve never tried it,but I,m just mentioning it. I sell a spring kit for the older dists.with four different rates for $25.
Posted By: Jeff_383

Re: Light weight advance springs for Dist - 06/26/09 11:06 AM

A little off the post, sorry, but the MP Mallory unit says it's max advance is 28 degrees. What do you have to do to get 35-36 out of it (mechanical)? Sorry if this is a easy answer, but I'm not that versed in distributors.

Re: Light weight advance springs for Dist - 06/26/09 11:55 AM

Quote:

the MP Mallory unit says it's max advance is 28 degrees. What do you have to do to get 35-36 out of it (mechanical)?

35-36 is a total amount(initial + mechanical) checked with the vac adv unhooked/plugged.

Re: Light weight advance springs for Dist - 06/26/09 02:35 PM

Yeah, I should have done some more reading before asking. So is the 28 max intial or the amount that comes in with whatever the initial is?

Re: Light weight advance springs for Dist - 06/26/09 02:59 PM

Hey bro ask away, this is just like school, the only dumb question is the one that is NOT asked! I learn more info here every day. 28 in the amount that is available in the dist curve and the initial is extra because you can set your initial where it is best for your eng & the curve will stay the same unless you change it(& you should)to get the correct total
Posted By: cogen80

Re: Light weight advance springs for Dist - 06/26/09 03:02 PM

Quote:

So is the 28 max intial or the amount that comes in with whatever the initial is?

28* is the total of the curve. say you set the initial at 10* your total would then be 38*. its the total span the dist will allow between the initial and the total timing. that make sense?
Posted By: 70Klassick

Re: DIZZTRIBUTOR BLUES...Ohh Yahhhhh..... - 06/26/09 03:51 PM

Hey Mofreaks,
Whats the story on diz P3690432. Mallory based? I'm trying to replace P4120942. Just got a P3690432 from jegs and what a piece of S#!T ,it is!!!!!
The rivets on the pick-up coil are loose and coil hits reluctor...nice.
The crap&rotor are lame. They are not the black MP4120886 like catalog said should come with it. No ribbing in cap.
The advance weights look nice but are a pain to get to.
I very much want to rebuild my (now beautiful)but very old diz P4120942.
The pick-up coil reads 280 ohms. No good?? Where are the parts?? Thanks for any help!! Kurt

Attached picture 5316322-FremontRacewayChallengertirewarmup.jpg

Re: DIZZTRIBUTOR BLUES...Ohh Yahhhhh..... - 06/26/09 05:39 PM

Thanks for the help, really straightens me out.

Re: Light weight advance springs for Dist - 06/26/09 08:32 PM

I replaced the black spring with a Mr. G. Now, mechanical starts at around 1200 and is all in by 2100-2200. I set my total timing at 36* and it runs great - seems more responsive and no ping. My son and I measured max vaccuum under load (drove around with vacuum hose coming out of the scoop and into the car) so I can check and tweak the vacuum advance as needed for absolute total advance.

Thanks for the input and suggestions Robert!

Re: DIZZTRIBUTOR BLUES...Ohh Yahhhhh..... - 06/27/09 02:02 AM

Quote:

The pick-up coil reads 280 ohms. No good?? Thanks for any help!! Kurt

The archives state 375-425 ohms and that if any different from these specs(within reason) it will still fire just not run as well as it originally did.
© 2024 Moparts Forums