Moparts

In-expensive compression gauge, yes/no?

Posted By: cudabitten

In-expensive compression gauge, yes/no? - 06/15/09 01:14 AM

Hi,

I going to need a compression gauge next to check on the condition of my engine before I go any further with my restore. Any suggestions for an in-expensive gauge.
Thanks,
Chris.
Posted By: Andrewh

Re: In-expensive compression gauge, yes/no? - 06/15/09 03:19 AM

why not rent on?
Autozone, oreily both do the rent a tool thing.
Posted By: dave571

Re: In-expensive compression gauge, yes/no? - 06/15/09 04:59 AM

I would think any local discount parts store would have a working cheapy for you to buy. The ones you have to hold in the hole are pretty much useless though. Better to be a thread in for sure.

Keep in mind, the number you read isn't as important at the variance between the cylinders
Posted By: duster340

Re: In-expensive compression gauge, yes/no? - 06/15/09 04:59 AM

so does advance auto parts, you pay for the tool in full, then when you bring it back you get refunded.
Posted By: Gusteve

Re: In-expensive compression gauge, yes/no? - 06/15/09 02:59 PM

Seems to me its the kind of tool you'd want to own, rather than rent. Its not like you are only going to use it one time and never need one again.

And yes, get the threaded kind, and one that "remembers" the compression reading until you hit the button to release the pressure. As said above, the one you hold into the plug holes are pretty useless.
Posted By: CHRYCOFAN

Re: In-expensive compression gauge, yes/no? - 06/15/09 03:15 PM

Mine is an old Sears unit that screw in & has the end fitting for both size plugs. The hose also has a standard disconnect in the middle so that my air hose would plug on & you can pump cylinders. Also nice to just screw the hose in & listen for compression when checking for TDC.

Sears might still have something like that?

Mine's over 20 years old now.

Edit.....here's what sears has now, the Actron is what my old one is like.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/search_10153_12605?keyword=compression+tester&x=0&y=0

Butch
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: In-expensive compression gauge, yes/no? - 06/15/09 03:32 PM

in-expensive? the threaded ones that remember the pressure reading until you re-set them, are only like $15-20 at the local parts store...how cheap are you looking to get?
Posted By: cudabitten

Re: In-expensive compression gauge, yes/no? - 06/15/09 11:54 PM

Hey CHRYCOFAN,

Thanks for the effort. That looks fine to me. 30 bucks is nothing compared to what I've been spending on this project. What's the purpose of putting air in the disconnected hose?
Posted By: RodStRace

Re: In-expensive compression gauge, yes/no? - 06/16/09 12:35 AM

Quote:

Hey CHRYCOFAN,

Thanks for the effort. That looks fine to me. 30 bucks is nothing compared to what I've been spending on this project. What's the purpose of putting air in the disconnected hose?

If you want to do an audible leakdown, you can carefully bring the engine up to TDC on that cylinder, and pressureize it. If it's a few degrees off one way or the other, it will move!!!
If you hear air out the carb, the intake valve is leaking. If you hear air out the exhaust, the exhaust valve is leaking. If you hear air in the radiator, uh-oh. If you hear a lot of air (some is normal) coming out of the breather, the rings are leaking.

You can also do the valve spring removing trick if you dare. Remove the rocker arms, use a socket to pop the keepers (they get jammed on), then pressurize the cylinder and use a tool to compress the spring and retainer and remove the keepers. This can also be done with a section of rope, inserting with the piston down, then rotating the engine so the piston holds the rope up against the valve.
Using air is cleaner and easier, but if a valve drops, you have to pull the head.
Posted By: CHRYCOFAN

Re: In-expensive compression gauge, yes/no? - 06/16/09 03:47 PM

I just looked at Sears but like he said check the local parts houses too, might find something just as good & cheaper.

All of what ROD said plus it's nice to thread the hose in when timing an engine for the first time to make sure you're on the compression stroke of #1, beats sticking your finger in the plug hole.

Butch
© 2024 Moparts Forums