Moparts

Mech. roller cam in small block questions

Posted By: 76Beeper

Mech. roller cam in small block questions - 06/14/09 11:02 PM

Guys: I'm thinking about running a Comp cams solid roller cam in my 360 motor. It's the Magnum 288R cam. My question is...what has to be done to the block to run a roller cam in a non-roller motor? (my block was cast in 76)
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Mech. roller cam in small block questions - 06/15/09 11:32 AM

Contact member OU812, he sells some that are supposed to be drop in. Most others require grinding to clear the connector bars.
Posted By: patrick

Re: Mech. roller cam in small block questions - 06/15/09 11:46 AM

Talk to board member OU812 (Brian at IMM) IIRC he has some comp drop in lifters that really don't require anything to run a cam with up to ~.450" lobe lift
Posted By: moper

Re: Mech. roller cam in small block questions - 06/15/09 11:49 AM

Some method of oil control should be done. I will not run a solid roller without running lifter bore buishings. You could also have the block tubed and get some of the protection from pressure issues. Clearancing the block for the lifters on most production blocks in not a big deal. I think Brian's dont need any work at all but I'm not sure. You'll also need the right valve springs and the right oil pump drive.
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Mech. roller cam in small block questions - 06/15/09 12:17 PM

Check out August "Mopar Muscle". They have a pretty good article on the subject.

Re: Mech. roller cam in small block questions - 06/16/09 12:54 AM

Thanks for the replies guys.
The cam in question is a .550 lift.

I'll have to look out for the August issue.
I don't think it's out in my neck of the woods yet(southern Ontario, Canada)

I was wondering if the block did need some mod's done to it.
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: Mech. roller cam in small block questions - 06/16/09 02:07 AM

the ones ou812 has...has a longer skirt to fix the oiling problem of the lifter uncovering the oil gally and loosing pressure with high lift cams IIRC

they have pressure oiling to the roller needle bearings also IIRC

and the link bar is to the cam side and not to the block side IIRC

maybe he will chime in and give a skoolin on them

on a non roller block...IIRC

the block will have to be clearaced in line with the lifter for the link bars to clear the block on other roller type lifters and should be bushed with high lifts so the oil passage is not uncoved
IIRC

lot easier and cheapr to start with a roller block IMO

unless ya just gotta keep that engine block for some reason

Posted By: Brian Hafliger

Re: Mech. roller cam in small block questions - 06/16/09 02:31 PM

Yes these just drop right in. Sometimes I have the base circle reduced to help lower the lifter in the bore some if the block has issues.
Brian

Attached picture 5296025-solidrollerlifters005.jpg

Re: Mech. roller cam in small block questions - 06/16/09 04:16 PM

Thanks for the info Brian.

I did finally pick-up the Aug. edition of Mopar Muscle and in that article it says to have the oiling passages to the lifters restricted.
If I use your lifters Brian, will I still have to modify the block?
Posted By: Brian Hafliger

Re: Mech. roller cam in small block questions - 06/16/09 06:40 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the info Brian.

I did finally pick-up the Aug. edition of Mopar Muscle and in that article it says to have the oiling passages to the lifters restricted.
If I use your lifters Brian, will I still have to modify the block?

If it's a stock block, no mods are neccessary. And these pushrod oil if you wanted to use that function.
Brian
© 2024 Moparts Forums