Moparts

are kickdown linkages engine specific?

Posted By: b body dreams

are kickdown linkages engine specific? - 06/11/09 01:10 AM

I picked up a kickdown linkage for my 68 sport satellitte yesterday from a friend. Linkage came off a 400 with a 727. I installed it tonight on my car and test drove and it will only hit drive at about if you get it up to about 50 mph. And as soon as you let off the gas the trans downshifts back into second. I looked at the adjustment and it looks to me like the kickdown rod is to short on the transmission end. I still have alot of travel on the kickdown lever on the trans with the throttle wide open on the carb.
Posted By: In_The_Pink

Re: are kickdown linkages engine specific? - 06/11/09 01:13 AM

Not only are they engine specific, but bodystyle specific, too.
Posted By: FJ5_Fish

Re: are kickdown linkages engine specific? - 06/11/09 01:17 AM

Totally different - They went one piece kickdown around '71. With the kick-down lever on the trans pulled all the way towards the front of the car the slotted lever (pulled all the way forward) should just be touching the carb throttle stud at idle.

Re: are kickdown linkages engine specific? - 06/11/09 01:22 AM

I know the one piece kickdown isnt right for my car but was trying to come up with something that will allow me to drive the car until I can aquire the correct one. The car and myself are supposed to be in my best friends wedding the 27th of this month.....Time and money are both running short....lol
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: are kickdown linkages engine specific? - 06/11/09 01:33 AM

Quote:

Totally different - They went one piece kickdown around '71. With the kick-down lever on the trans pulled all the way towards the front of the car the slotted lever (pulled all the way forward) should just be touching the carb throttle stud at idle.

That is what that small spring is for. To hold the rear of teh KD slot forward on the throtle pins for constant progress ive throttle pressure. Number 13 in the illustration.

Re: are kickdown linkages engine specific? - 06/11/09 01:43 AM

See if it will adjust the way I described - If it does it might work ok.
Posted By: SomeCarGuy

Re: are kickdown linkages engine specific? - 06/11/09 02:21 AM

I'm kinda surprised it fit an earlier car.

Re: are kickdown linkages engine specific? - 06/11/09 02:23 AM

Me three
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: are kickdown linkages engine specific? - 06/11/09 02:29 AM

Can you fabricate it so the slotted rod starts moving when the throttle does and the lever at the trans is pretty much all the way back when someone is flooring the gas pedal.
Posted By: donbarnes

Re: are kickdown linkages engine specific? - 06/11/09 05:48 PM

This isn't what you asked, but the cable kit from Lokar is the best route, put mine on 3 years ago and haven't touched it since, well worth the money

Re: are kickdown linkages engine specific? - 06/11/09 09:28 PM

I have looked at them on summits website but was really just trying to come up with something so that I can drive it without hurting the tranny till I can get a proper kickdown.....lokar or factory.....
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: are kickdown linkages engine specific? - 06/11/09 10:39 PM

Someone had posted in that case to wire it halfway back & leave it there for now but I would check with Kunkel to confirm
© 2024 Moparts Forums