Moparts

NE1 tried this aftermarket power window kit 4 E Body?

Posted By: domingo

NE1 tried this aftermarket power window kit 4 E Body? - 06/01/09 11:02 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayIS...#ht_4059wt_1005

Wondering if it works....

Would put on the correct switches on the door panels for sure, but I was wondering how good would it work...or should I forget about it and just try to find and original setup??

Im am ttired of rolling all 4 manual windows up and down each time I rise or lower the top on the cuda vert.

Thanks!
Posted By: cataclysm80

Re: NE1 tried this aftermarket power window kit 4 E Body? - 06/01/09 11:11 PM

Hi Domingo, I'd recomend the XV kit. Here's a thread where I converted the kit to look original.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...&PHPSESSID=

Tav
Posted By: RokketRide

Re: NE1 tried this aftermarket power window kit 4 E Body? - 06/01/09 11:22 PM

take a look at these guys

http://www.nu-relics.com/mopar.html

Re: NE1 tried this aftermarket power window kit 4 E Body? - 06/01/09 11:32 PM

THANKS!

Yes, I think I would go for the XV kit...gives me more peace of mind to hear that somebody used it with success...

I want to do the installation just like you did...so it looks original once installed.

Are the windows fast the way you installed em without the need to add all those relays recommended on the other thread???
Posted By: BDW

Re: NE1 tried this aftermarket power window kit 4 E Body? - 06/02/09 12:38 AM

Quote:

I heard this is the kit XV sells.

Whatever you do, stay away from A1 Electric. It's a total piece of crap. Luckily I tried it out before cutting the panels for the switches. Sent that POS back ASAP!
Posted By: Quicksilver440

Re: NE1 tried this aftermarket power window kit 4 E Body? - 06/02/09 02:07 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I heard this is the kit XV sells.

Whatever you do, stay away from A1 Electric. It's a total piece of crap. Luckily I tried it out before cutting the panels for the switches. Sent that POS back ASAP!

I don't see an Ebody version....??

Re: NE1 tried this aftermarket power window kit 4 E Body? - 06/02/09 02:14 AM

http://www.nu-relics.com/pricingkits.html

They had it on the main page before. I wonder if XV asked them to remove it.

You can see the price at the bottom, much less than what XV charges.

Re: NE1 tried this aftermarket power window kit 4 E Body? - 06/02/09 02:50 AM

ILL GIVE EM A CALL...

DOMINGO
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: NE1 tried this aftermarket power window kit 4 E Body? - 06/02/09 06:54 AM

Quote:

Would put on the correct switches on the door panels for sure, but I was wondering how good would it work...or should I forget about it and just try to find and original setup??

Im am ttired of rolling all 4 manual windows up and down each time I rise or lower the top on the cuda vert.

Thanks!

The ones I run are made by spal, but are basically the same thing. I've installed these things on two vehicles and they work beautifully. They are quick and easy to install and I find they are able to put more torq onto that window than my arm could by hand. The ONLY downside to them is you have to put a cap on your door panel to hide where the splined shaft for your window cranks comes through. Not a big deal to me but to some it's an issue. I will be buying more of those things in the future, that I can guarantee you.
Posted By: jbc426

Re: NE1 tried this aftermarket power window kit 4 E Body? - 06/02/09 11:51 AM

The ones I run are made by spal, but are basically the same thing. I've installed these things on two vehicles and they work beautifully. They are quick and easy to install and I find they are able to put more torq onto that window than my arm could by hand. The ONLY downside to them is you have to put a cap on your door panel to hide where the splined shaft for your window cranks comes through. Not a big deal to me but to some it's an issue. I will be buying more of those things in the future, that I can guarantee you.

Do you have the link for the source of the Spal ones?
Posted By: DennisH

Re: NE1 tried this aftermarket power window kit 4 E Body? - 06/02/09 12:02 PM

Electric-life in the Coronet. Never a problem. 5 years. Nice.

Re: NE1 tried this aftermarket power window kit 4 E Body? - 06/02/09 12:47 PM

last I heard, electric life didn't have rear regulators available for E body, only fronts.

Tav

Re: NE1 tried this aftermarket power window kit 4 E Body? - 06/02/09 12:51 PM

On a barracuda, the power window switches are located in the same spot as the window crank shaft, so Domingo won't have any holes to plug. He can just enlarge the holes he has and keep the same door panels.

Tav

Re: NE1 tried this aftermarket power window kit 4 E Body? - 06/02/09 01:05 PM

Quote:

Are the windows fast the way you installed em without the need to add all those relays recommended on the other thread???

I've installed them for the test fit so far, regulators & tracks without glass. They are fast enough that I was nervous about holding the button down. Without the glass & bump stops installed, the regulators can slide off the tracks going too far up or down (OE setup does the same thing). I'm thinking that once the glass is installed, the extra resistance will slow it down a little, but it should operate at basically the same speed as any modern car with power windows. Note that this is at least a little dependent on the quality of switches you end up with. I didn't have any problems with mine, but if you get a bad switch with worn contacts

Tav
Posted By: miketyler

Re: NE1 tried this aftermarket power window kit 4 E Body? - 06/02/09 01:31 PM

That kit you have posted looks like a universal style that retains OEM regulators. It mounts on the crank handle shaft. Personally, I never liked those. I have installed the Electric Life units with OEM switches and both work great now for a couple of years or so. They did take some adjusting to get the up and down speed to equalize.

Re: NE1 tried this aftermarket power window kit 4 E Body? - 06/02/09 06:30 PM

By the way, if you DO get a bad switch, you might want to check out this thread...

Tav

Re: NE1 tried this aftermarket power window kit 4 E Body? - 06/02/09 09:42 PM

Read through this, once people are pressed they admit the A1 stuff isn't the greatest.

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=45919.0

When I tried them, they went down so fast it broke the rubber bump stop. and it struggled to raise. It was not an adjustment issue, as I did all the testing without the door panels on and the door open. Luckily I didn't cut my panels before trying them.

Re: NE1 tried this aftermarket power window kit 4 E Body? - 06/03/09 01:29 AM

I read that thread. Just FYI for the rest of you that also read it... The XV regulators DO come with helper springs similar to OE helper springs.

Pic looking down through top of door where glass would go.

Tav

Attached picture 5269033-DSC01660.JPG

Re: NE1 tried this aftermarket power window kit 4 E Body? - 06/03/09 11:01 AM

Thx for the pic!

That looks like it will take care of the fast-down, slow-up problem. Funny it took almost 40yrs to copy the factory design.

The problem with A1 Electric is they don't have a helper spring. Even the factory manual regulators have them. Simple concept, same as your garage door.
Spring winds up on the way down, slowing the decent, unwinds on the way up, helping it raise.

I spoke to the Electric Life tech support, they finally admitted this was a problem, and suggested I could add a helper spring as some of their other customers were doing.

No thanks, bad design in my mind.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: NE1 tried this aftermarket power window kit 4 E Body? - 06/03/09 08:54 PM

Quote:

Do you have the link for the source of the Spal ones?

These are the ones I used the first time worked great in my 87 daytona, and that car had windows that were harder to roll up/down than any other car I've owned and those motors powered it nicely. The second kit I installed was a cheaper one from one of the other sellers on ebarf, the kit looked like it used the same motors as the spal ones with different drive hardware. Installation and function is the same, they work great and are easy to install. I never had any problems with these things and I would not hesitate to use them again.
Posted By: Challenged

Re: NE1 tried this aftermarket power window kit 4 E Body? - 06/06/09 11:01 AM

Domingo, Nu-Relics also sells window crank switches. They are a switch that uses your window crank handle. Only thing is I didn't see model specific for mopar. Give them a call they might just work.
Posted By: KEISLER

Re: NE1 tried this aftermarket power window kit 4 E Body? - 07/13/09 06:59 AM

Quote:

Thanks!

Domingo,

I normally don't comment on non-competitor vendor product. With that said, we purchased this product through XV Motorsports for the Maximum Overdrive Kuda.

It has been a disaster and an utter disappointment. We are now on our 3rd set with the manufacturer. More than 100 man hours have been spent installing, adjusting, debugging, etc to no avail. Empire Mopars in NY that built the Kuda couldn't get it working, neither could their glass company, nor could Alloway Customs (premier street rod builder), nor could we. The manufacturer appears unable to service the kit. XV has given up on them to help.

None of the 4 regulator/drive assemblies work correctly. The rears bare roll up. The left front comes up about 1/2 way if you open the door, otherwise it won't come up at all. The right front gave up the ghost at the worse possible time - during the 3 hour photoshoot with Hot Rod Magazine on last month. The window stuck in a 1/2 down position. I worked in the parking garage until 2am that night to remove the motor, and rig up a foam block to keep the glass from breaking.

The glass moves freely in the track. I believe the problem to be in the electrical design of the harness. They use the switch to carry motor power, and I don't believe these switches are designed for that load (I have the black illuminated switch; not the GM universal ones that my mom's station wagon had). I took the switch apart and found the contact to be fatigued in the open position. The contacts look to be 3amp max. These motors likely need 10amps to drive the correct glass against new weatherstrip, cat whiskers, etc.

I am considering other options. If anyone knows how to make these work in an ebody, please let me know. You will be my best friend!!

What a pain in the a$$ to not have working windows.
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: NE1 tried this aftermarket power window kit 4 E Body? - 07/13/09 07:25 AM

Quote:

I am considering other options. If anyone knows how to make these work in an ebody, please let me know. You will be my best friend!!

What a pain in the a$$ to not have working windows.

I'd suggest the same fix as I suggest for OE Mopar power windows... Add relays.. Use the exsisting wiring as the trigger circut & run 12 gauge wires as the feeds to each window.. Add body grounds at each window & you've eliminated most of the potential issues... https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...&PHPSESSID=

Re: NE1 tried this aftermarket power window kit 4 E Body? - 07/13/09 01:28 PM

try that first. You might also need new switches if you fried yours.

If that doesn't work out, try the power window kit XV makes (different kit). It uses real regulators and really wasn't that difficult to install.

Tav
© 2024 Moparts Forums