Moparts

Vibration - what things to check first

Posted By: 69 Road Chicken

Vibration - what things to check first - 06/16/08 03:32 AM

440 Dart 4 spd, solid motor mount on left side. 4.10 Sure grip

No noticeable vibration at low speed (town driving). It starts to be noticable at 55 (3k rpm) with the clutch pushed in (I don't think it related to the engine - I just think the solid mount makes the whole car "humm" a bit at above 3k rpm). It starts to get bad at about 65 or 70 -I haven't pushed it any further than that. Doesn't seem to get worse or better if I disengage clutch at high speed and change the engine speed from idle to 5k rev.

I'm thinking

1) Have balance checked on tires/rims - bad balance, bent rim maybe
2) Pinion/tranny angle
3) Driveshaft balance
4) Bellhousing alignment (can I check this in the car?)
5) other ideas???

Give me your ideas, obviously looking to go from least expensive/easiest to harder/expensive.
Posted By: mopowergtx

Re: Vibration - what things to check first - 06/16/08 04:21 AM

Quote:

440 Dart 4 spd, solid motor mount on left side. 4.10 Sure grip

No noticeable vibration at low speed (town driving). It starts to be noticable at 55 (3k rpm) with the clutch pushed in (I don't think it related to the engine - I just think the solid mount makes the whole car "humm" a bit at above 3k rpm). It starts to get bad at about 65 or 70 -I haven't pushed it any further than that. Doesn't seem to get worse or better if I disengage clutch at high speed and change the engine speed from idle to 5k rev.

I'm thinking

1) Have balance checked on tires/rims - bad balance, bent rim maybe
2) Pinion/tranny angle
3) Driveshaft balance
4) Bellhousing alignment (can I check this in the car?)
5) other ideas???

Give me your ideas, obviously looking to go from least expensive/easiest to harder/expensive.

Sounds like your on the right path. I'd check the pinion angle first because maybe with the solid mounts and the combination of the tranny mount you might be throwing it outta whack. I've seen bad tranny mounts cause that. Not wore out mounts, bad ones from the get go. A guy on here last year posted about chasing down a similiar vib like yours and after all the stuff you listed he traced it back to his brand spanking new poly tranny mount. Good luck I know from experience bad vibes suck to deal with and to find.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Vibration - what things to check first - 06/16/08 05:12 AM

With the vibration showing up--in neutral?--and coasting, the bell should not be the problem.

I'd first try borrowing another pair of tires.

You should be able to tell if it's tires or driveling just by the "frequency". You might try having a friend drive to each side, and near the rear on a low--use 4 lane, with a passenger observing, looking for wheel wobble, tire "tramp" etc.

I just re-read this---solid mount? That could be the whole problem, right there.
Posted By: GaryHemi

Re: Vibration - what things to check first - 06/16/08 04:37 PM

check the u-joints.

Re: Vibration - what things to check first - 06/16/08 05:34 PM

Quote:

check the u-joints.

Probably a stupid question, but...

How do you check a u-joint? The only time I've ever known to replace them is when I get a "squeak, squeak" that goes with driveshaft rotation. Do I just take them out and "feel" how smooth the movement is?

Thanks
Posted By: RTDaddy

Re: Vibration - what things to check first - 06/16/08 08:45 PM

I have to ask, only because this got a friend of mine who did not know. Is this a steel or cast crankk 440? Do you have the right harmonic balancer? Hope you find the bug.

"IF YOU'RE UNDER CONTROL, YOU AIN'T GOING FAST ENOUGH."

Re: Vibration - what things to check first - 06/17/08 03:10 AM

I didn't build the motor (I bought the car), but my info says 68 steel crank HP motor. It has a TCI "rattler" damper on it.

If it was from the motor/damper combo, wouldn't I feel a shake from engine RPM regardless of car speed?

Thanks
Posted By: Magnum

Re: Vibration - what things to check first - 06/17/08 09:42 PM

Wheels and driveshaft are 2 good places to start.

A balanced wheel can still shake a car.
Posted By: snuggles

Re: Vibration - what things to check first - 06/17/08 09:58 PM

weight at wrong end of drive shaft?
© 2024 Moparts Forums