Moparts

Chrysler Marine V-8s

Posted By: maundmotorworks

Chrysler Marine V-8s - 04/29/09 01:46 AM

I picked up a Chrysler Marine 383/260HP engine today from the local wrecking yard. It's complete with carb, mounts, gearbox, water cooled exhaust, timing cover w/ tach drive (yes, that's correct). Anybody else on here have a Marine big block? Just curious...
Posted By: OzHemi

Re: Chrysler Marine V-8s - 04/29/09 01:51 AM

I had a marine 440 a while ago...still have the cast iron timing cover (no water pump provision) and cast aluminum oil pan with swinging pick up.
It was a reverse rotation...so tossed the crank out and just used the block basically for a fresh build
Posted By: crowbait

Re: Chrysler Marine V-8s - 04/29/09 01:57 AM

i got a 440,it has some neat parts inside.
steel crank
3 bolt purple cam
double roller set
oil pump drive holder downer thing

Re: Chrysler Marine V-8s - 04/29/09 01:57 AM

Oz,
According to the tag, my engine is right hand rotation. I had been watching for this engine to come available for about 8 or 9 years now, and finally got it. I may be interested in your pan and cover for spares. I'm sure that there aren't too many of these engines floating around anymore, so I figured I'd grab it anyway and basically mothball it in the shop for a future project. The boat it was in was badly rotten, so they cut the engine out with a chainsaw. It's still bolted to pieces of the stringers of the boat. I got the complete engine with gearbox and prop shaft for $450, so I figured if nothing else, it's got to be worth that for parts especially since both exhaust manifolds are intact.

Re: Chrysler Marine V-8s - 04/29/09 01:58 AM

Just holler if you are interested....they are not light though, that's for sure!

(and sounds cool about cutting it out with a chainsaw! )

Attached picture 5194396-5101296-carbidetippedboatcutterupperwithOSAapprovedFreddiefaceshield.gif

Re: Chrysler Marine V-8s - 04/29/09 02:00 AM

Just to show what it looks like..

Attached picture 5194407-marine.jpg

Re: Chrysler Marine V-8s - 04/29/09 02:02 AM

Believe it or not, that's not the first engine I've removed with a chainsaw. I bought another engine from a rotten houseboat a few years back and did the same thing. A cut through the stringers and floor in front and rear of the engine and a cut down the length of each stringer, and whoa-la...out the engine comes cradle and all. Makes it easy to strap down and haul away too since the engine's still bolted to something...

Re: Chrysler Marine V-8s - 04/29/09 02:03 AM

Don't worry...I am good about cutting up boats with a saw too...

You probably missed my post a month ago about sawzalling a boat to fit into a container to send to Oz.

Re: Chrysler Marine V-8s - 04/29/09 02:04 AM

Quote:

Out of curiousity, how much for that stuff?

Re: Chrysler Marine V-8s - 04/29/09 02:05 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Out of curiousity, how much for that stuff?

Swap you for a handfull of magic beans ?

I'll shoot you a PM

Re: Chrysler Marine V-8s - 04/29/09 02:10 AM

Ok, sounds good...
Posted By: dynamite

Re: Chrysler Marine V-8s - 04/29/09 02:33 AM

I have a marine block in my '56 ..it was right rotation ..but I put my original crank in and everything else from the 1968 440...just used the block...had very low time on the motor and the bores were perfect ...still got the heads and intake and AFB .ecu..and some other stuff ...steel crank ..but have to have the rear maim nearling ground off.. Oh ..and the Marina cut it out with a chain saw..Paid $100.00 for it..

Attached picture 5194516-larrys56small.jpg
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Chrysler Marine V-8s - 04/29/09 02:46 AM

Quote:

Believe it or not, that's not the first engine I've removed with a chainsaw. ...

Long time ago I was helping junk out an ugly old barge only thing worthwhile was the Chrysler flathead marine. I was roaring along cutting up the boat into sections with my saw, and throwing the junk on a trailer.

Went screeching along the bilge, a little water in the bottom and kerfreekin bloowie!!!! We, me it, the saw, the whole darn world stopped rotating. I can still see the stars in my eyes sometimes. I'd hit a nice big brass drain [Edited by Moparts - Keep it clean], right in the bottom of the bilge. Big 'ol McCullock never did run quite "straight" after that!!!
Posted By: 500ciDuster

Re: Chrysler Marine V-8s - 04/29/09 03:10 AM

I have a 383/260HP too, I could have got the velvetdrive too but I didn't.

Mitch
Posted By: High Impact

Re: Chrysler Marine V-8s - 04/29/09 10:01 AM

I worked on inboard motors like that 383 for 10 years at a wood boat shop here in town. Only thing is that if it was used in salt water and didnt get flushed out it could be very rusty in the cooling jackets. Of course if it was a closed cooling system or used in fresh water then your fine.

I still have a 69 440 from a house boat with all its boat stuff still attached, someday I'll find something to put it in

Coolest motor I got out of a boat was a 409 dual 4 barrel motor that turned out to be from a 62 Impala! IT was 100% complete and running for $1000.00 I sold off the boat crap and had it ready to put in my 65 biscayne wagon when someone found out I had it and made me an offer I couldnt refuse!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: StandOnIt

Re: Chrysler Marine V-8s - 04/29/09 11:08 AM

I had a 392 Hemi from a boat years ago. It was the counter motor. It had 3 little 2bbl carbs on it. I hung on to it for years and one day I opened my outside storage shed and it was gone, every piece of it too. I had disassembled it when I got it to see what all was differant from the regular motor. Nobody in my family ever owned up to taking it.
Posted By: hemibeep

Re: Chrysler Marine V-8s - 04/29/09 11:10 AM

I am almost sure a friend of mine has a pair of old marine hemis (354s?). Is there a market for these? He is near tampa FL.
Posted By: mccannix

Re: Chrysler Marine V-8s - 04/29/09 12:44 PM

How about a marine 440-6 pak air cleaner, same as shown in the 1971 brochure...

Attached picture 5195028-marine2.jpg
Posted By: mccannix

Re: Chrysler Marine V-8s - 04/29/09 12:46 PM

or...anyone need a smallblock marine bellhousing

Attached picture 5195033-marine5.jpg
Posted By: Kirby

Re: Chrysler Marine V-8s - 04/29/09 02:24 PM

Quote:

I worked on inboard motors like that 383 for 10 years at a wood boat shop here in town. Only thing is that if it was used in salt water and didnt get flushed out it could be very rusty in the cooling jackets. Of course if it was a closed cooling system or used in fresh water then your fine.

I still have a 69 440 from a house boat with all its boat stuff still attached, someday I'll find something to put it in

Coolest motor I got out of a boat was a 409 dual 4 barrel motor that turned out to be from a 62 Impala! IT was 100% complete and running for $1000.00 I sold off the boat crap and had it ready to put in my 65 biscayne wagon when someone found out I had it and made me an offer I couldnt refuse!!!!!!!!!

I know where 2 marine 440's are. Probably R&L matched pair. I have a 58 Century Resorter with a Cadillac Crusader, twin 4's, 300 hp. Haven't fired it yet- but should really fly!
Posted By: billyfury

Re: Chrysler Marine V-8s - 04/30/09 12:09 AM

I have a 330 horse 440 in my 1972 Century Resorter 19 foot inboard. I am in MN so it sits in the warehouse for 9 months a year. During that time I start to say to myself "I really dont use the boat that much, maybe I should sell it" Then in the spring I drop it in the lake. There is absolutely nothing like the sound of that 440 with those dual exhausts straight out the back with the water jackets only to quiet it. It simply sounds amazing. After that first ride of the summer I say to myself, "I'll never sell this boat"

billyfury 70-71 fury collector
www.sportfurygt.com

Re: Chrysler Marine V-8s - 04/30/09 01:25 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I know where 2 marine 440's are. Probably R&L matched pair. I have a 58 Century Resorter with a Cadillac Crusader, twin 4's, 300 hp. Haven't fired it yet- but should really fly!

What size Resorter? 19 or 21ft. Those are the kind of boats I worked on for years!!!!!!!! IT was a really fun time but my old boss basically has ruined the business from what it was. I did all the finish work and Re-upholestry of those boats, I even know the ladys who have all the ORIGINAL CENTURY BOAT patterns for the upholestry and the die-electric machine that made all the lines in the vynal

One thing I know about those caddy motors is that they dont have that great of an oiling system so dont go running it wide open for to long!

Re: Chrysler Marine V-8s - 04/30/09 01:26 AM

Quote:

Ok, sounds good...

You see it?

Re: Chrysler Marine V-8s - 04/30/09 01:33 AM

Quote:

I have a 330 horse 440 in my 1972 Century Resorter 19 foot inboard. I am in MN so it sits in the warehouse for 9 months a year. During that time I start to say to myself "I really dont use the boat that much, maybe I should sell it" Then in the spring I drop it in the lake. There is absolutely nothing like the sound of that 440 with those dual exhausts straight out the back with the water jackets only to quiet it. It simply sounds amazing. After that first ride of the summer I say to myself, "I'll never sell this boat"

billyfury 70-71 fury collector
www.sportfurygt.com

Man, I love that era Arabians, sweet looks and your right, they sould INCREDIBLE wide open running across a lake, EVERYONE KNOWS its a V8. That was one of the best things about working on customer boats during the summer...................Sir, we should probably take a test run with it first to "make sure'" everything is trouble free for you...........then spend an hour or two crusing Manistee lake and the River channel. Although the old wood boats got you alittle more attention
Posted By: StandOnIt

Re: Chrysler Marine V-8s - 04/30/09 10:53 AM

This belmont flattie had a 1970 COPO 454 that was stamped on the front of the block for a 70" SS Chevelle with the cars vin #. This thig was a hoot. I played with it for a number of years and someone came along and wanted it more than I did.

Attached picture 5196973-Boat6.JPG
Posted By: dart4forte

Re: Chrysler Marine V-8s - 04/30/09 06:13 PM

How about a Chrysler Marine 273. AZMOP has one. Has the 1 11/16 bores the same as the D-Dart manifold.
Posted By: Kirby

Re: Chrysler Marine V-8s - 05/05/09 05:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

What size Resorter? 19 or 21ft. Those are the kind of boats I worked on for years!!!!!!!! IT was a really fun time but my old boss basically has ruined the business from what it was. I did all the finish work and Re-upholestry of those boats, I even know the ladys who have all the ORIGINAL CENTURY BOAT patterns for the upholestry and the die-electric machine that made all the lines in the vynal

One thing I know about those caddy motors is that they dont have that great of an oiling system so dont go running it wide open for to long!

19 footer. I need upholstery, and a few parts. PM me- I'd like to chat with you.
© 2024 Moparts Forums