Moparts

68-72 B body fuel sending unit

Posted By: MOPAULY

68-72 B body fuel sending unit - 02/27/24 09:07 PM

Does anyone know if a 68-70 fuel sending unit will work with a 72? tanks are different but visually they look similar.

I ask as I am preparing to install a Holley Sniper EFI on my 72 Charger, and Holley makes an in tank electric pump/sending unit for the 68 - if I could use that it would save me the $720 of purchasing an Aeromotive tank with the EFI components pre-installed.
Posted By: ruderunner

Re: 68-72 B body fuel sending unit - 02/28/24 12:22 AM

72 tank is m9re cube shaped than 68 to70.

I'm going with no on this.
Posted By: topside

Re: 68-72 B body fuel sending unit - 02/28/24 02:44 AM

Mounting, electrical and drop could be the same - maybe see if Rock Auto or whomever shows the same part # for the 2 years ?
Or perhaps, the OP could modify the earlier unit.

Re: 68-72 B body fuel sending unit - 02/28/24 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by topside
Mounting, electrical and drop could be the same - maybe see if Rock Auto or whomever shows the same part # for the 2 years ?
Or perhaps, the OP could modify the earlier unit.

Yeah, since I have to drop the tank anyway, I may just buy an extra sending unit for my 68 and see if it fits properly in the tank.
Posted By: 72roadrunnergtx

Re: 68-72 B body fuel sending unit - 02/29/24 05:13 AM

There is nothing in common between the ’68-70 and the ’71-72 tanks or senders. Aeromotive sells a modified Spectrum 10a ’71 and up to mid-year ’72 efi fuel tank (vent ports on the driver’s side rear). Don’t see how it would fit however, the fuel pump ports are on top, top of the tank is right up against the trunk floor.

Re: 68-72 B body fuel sending unit - 02/29/24 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by 72roadrunnergtx
There is nothing in common between the ’68-70 and the ’71-72 tanks or senders. Aeromotive sells a modified Spectrum 10a ’71 and up to mid-year ’72 efi fuel tank (vent ports on the driver’s side rear). Don’t see how it would fit however, the fuel pump ports are on top, top of the tank is right up against the trunk floor.

That tank incorporates the feed and return lines at the fuel sending unit - they moved the vent lines to the drivers side rear; I'm just trying to avoid the $720 price tag. I did some measuring in the garage yesterday and I think the Holley drop in pump just might fit.
Posted By: jbc426

Re: 68-72 B body fuel sending unit - 03/01/24 05:11 PM

I made my own pick-up/return with pump for a pretty low cost. I also use a surge tank up front. Fuel flows to and from the surge tank at high volume, but near zero pressure. The surge tank to fuel rail return loop has the high pressure with no cavitation or air from a low main tank level even while road coursing with a couple gallons in the main tank.

Note the larger sized return line I silver soldered in to reduce fuel return restriction, and the submerged fuel line is rated submersible. Regular fuel line will disintegrate rapidly.

Attached picture Sending unit mod 4.jpg
Attached picture eng5 (Large).png
Posted By: Sniper

Re: 68-72 B body fuel sending unit - 03/01/24 05:37 PM

Good to see your setup with a surge tank. Back in my Projection days I learned the hard way that just having the same in tank setup you have didn't work. It would suck air and kill the engine with a hard stop or turn at anything less than half a tank and as it got lower it happened even easier.
Posted By: ercynic

Re: 68-72 B body fuel sending unit - 03/05/24 08:34 AM

Could you please verify with Rock Auto or someone else whether the component number is the same for both years? It's possible that the mounting, electrical, and drop components are the same.
© 2024 Moparts Forums