Moparts

Small block aftermarket AC

Posted By: Gabmando

Small block aftermarket AC - 02/11/24 01:05 AM

1973 Charger 340 CID no factory AC. I would like to add aftermarket AC using the Sanden compressor.
There are a couple of brackets on the market to mount that compressor. No problem running 2 belts on big blocks, but only one belt on small blocks.

Question: Anyone figure out a way to mount a Sanden compressor on a small block and run two belts.(I do have correct pulleys and alternator that would normally come on AC cars as well).
It appears that the compressor crashes with the thermostat housing using any of the brackets available on the market.
I'll fabricate my own brackets to move the compressor toward driver side if I have to but I insist on running two belts.
Posted By: BDW

Re: Small block aftermarket AC - 02/11/24 01:11 AM

I used VA bracket

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Small block aftermarket AC - 02/11/24 07:51 AM

if you want to do it all yourself, why isn't it done? confused devil stirthepot haha whistling
Posted By: Twostick

Re: Small block aftermarket AC - 02/11/24 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by BDW
I used VA bracket

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

They get their brackets from Bouchillion, at least the ones for my poly do.

Kevin

Re: Small block aftermarket AC - 02/11/24 03:32 PM

BDW and Twostick thank you for your helpful responses. This will save me hours of fabrication.
Posted By: jbc426

Re: Small block aftermarket AC - 02/11/24 03:55 PM

I used a Bouchillon pulley set-up for my 440-6 with Shaker hood to mount my Sanden compressor under my alternator, although I ended up using a different belt routing to allow for more belt-wrap around some of the pulleys.

https://www.bouchillonperformance.com/products-aircon-compressor-brackets
Posted By: 69Cuda340S

Re: Small block aftermarket AC - 02/11/24 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Twostick
[quote=BDW]I used VA bracket

Kevin

Classic Auto Air gets their brackets from Bouchillion and some work has to be done to run two belts:

https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/threads/classic-auto-air-belt-alignment-fix.553777/
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Small block aftermarket AC - 02/11/24 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by 69Cuda340S
Originally Posted by Twostick
[quote=BDW]I used VA bracket

Kevin

Classic Auto Air gets their brackets from Bouchillion and some work has to be done to run two belts:

https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/threads/classic-auto-air-belt-alignment-fix.553777/

Well, it one ran the 79 and up 4bbl intake instead you wouldn't have that compressor to water outlet issue. You know why? Because when Chrysler switched from the R2 to the Sanden the same thing happened, so Chrysler moved the outlet.

Easier fix than the hoops jumped thru in the linked fix, not that the "fix" helped much, no one has any idea what pulleys were used.

The Performer and Torker II intake can accommodate the 79 and up style outlet set up. Not sure about other brands though,
Posted By: 69Cuda340S

Re: Small block aftermarket AC - 02/11/24 04:31 PM

If you look on their web site they show pictures that their kit runs a single belt. People on the A Body forum are reporting belt squeals, one belt won't work, and Bouchillon just shrugs off the complaints and does nothing to help:

https://www.bouchillonperformance.com/inc/sdetail/467/572

Re: Small block aftermarket AC - 02/11/24 09:10 PM

Not sure if it matters, but that motor had the Performer 2 intake.
I've moved on since then.................

[Linked Image]
Posted By: poorboy

Re: Small block aftermarket AC - 02/12/24 12:57 AM

The 80ish Mopar cast intakes have the off set thermostat location on the intake. Those intakes have the EGR port, but blocking it off doesn't have that much effect on performance. Then you can just use the Mopar pulleys from the same time frame. All the 80s Mopar squad cars used that intake.

If you need to have an aftermarket intake, start building the brackets.

Re: Small block aftermarket AC - 02/12/24 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by poorboy
The 80ish Mopar cast intakes have the off set thermostat location on the intake. Those intakes have the EGR port, but blocking it off doesn't have that much effect on performance. Then you can just use the Mopar pulleys from the same time frame. All the 80s Mopar squad cars used that intake.

If you need to have an aftermarket intake, start building the brackets.

As I said, 79 and up stock intakes as well as both the Edelbrock Performer and Torker II have that offset thermostat.
Posted By: TJP

Re: Small block aftermarket AC - 02/12/24 02:58 AM

We've installed a butt load of vintage air systems with one V belt driving the compressor and never had an issue shruggy
Posted By: Jerry

Re: Small block aftermarket AC - 02/12/24 03:43 PM

or modernize it???

Attached picture small block ac.jpg
Posted By: jbc426

Re: Small block aftermarket AC - 02/12/24 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by 69Cuda340S
If you look on their web site they show pictures that their kit runs a single belt. People on the A Body forum are reporting belt squeals, one belt won't work, and Bouchillon just shrugs off the complaints and does nothing to help:

https://www.bouchillonperformance.com/inc/sdetail/467/572

I had to alter the mounting spacing and reroute the belt to get more belt wrap around the pulley, but once I did that, there was no more belt slip.
Posted By: TJP

Re: Small block aftermarket AC - 02/13/24 03:38 AM

Nice, but too wide for my 38 Ford frown It gets pretty narrow up front, A top mount compressor wont work with the 6 pack frown

Re: Small block aftermarket AC - 02/14/24 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Jerry
or modernize it???

That's a nice shot of the later style thermostat location.

Re: Small block aftermarket AC - 02/14/24 02:02 PM

I seem to remember some concerns on the water neck with my install.
Maybe this pic helps?

[Linked Image]

Re: Small block aftermarket AC - 02/14/24 08:38 PM

Thank you all for the responses.
It looks like there will be interference between the Sanden Compressor and the thermostat housing on the standard 340 intake manifold using the aftermarket brackets.
One solution would be to replace the intake manifold with one that places the thermostat housing closer towards the driver side.
The other solution is to fabricate my own brackets which is do-able.
Thanx again for all the responses.
© 2024 Moparts Forums