Moparts

AN Fittings/Hose - Quick Question

Posted By: VITC_GTX

AN Fittings/Hose - Quick Question - 02/05/24 01:04 AM

I've never used AN fittings before (don't care for the look). I'm doing some oiling mods to an AMC engine and need to use AN.

Question is: Can you interchange different brands of fittings and hoses as long as they are all the same size (e.g. -6)?
Posted By: topside

Re: AN Fittings/Hose - Quick Question - 02/05/24 01:18 AM

I prefer to use the same brand. Years ago I had a Russel-to-Earl's connection and they were slightly different enough male/female threads that I could tell.

That may have been an anomaly.
Surely others will reply.
Posted By: BloFish

Re: AN Fittings/Hose - Quick Question - 02/05/24 01:38 AM

You can, but I don’t.
Posted By: moparjim79

Re: AN Fittings/Hose - Quick Question - 02/05/24 01:56 AM

If you want to keep it simple and cheap, and have quick, highly availible parts, go to a hydraulic shop and get jic fittings

Re: AN Fittings/Hose - Quick Question - 02/05/24 02:26 AM

Thanks guys.

Van
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: AN Fittings/Hose - Quick Question - 02/05/24 06:10 AM

Make sure and use the same brand for the hose and fittings, I use the Teflon line hoses for all oil and fuel lines, it will hold a lot more pressure and with stand a lot more heat than the other non-Teflon line type AN hoses will up scope wrench It is smaller in diameter and lighter also up Not as flexible though shruggy work
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: AN Fittings/Hose - Quick Question - 02/05/24 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by VITC_GTX
I've never used AN fittings before (don't care for the look). I'm doing some oiling mods to an AMC engine and need to use AN.

Question is: Can you interchange different brands of fittings and hoses as long as they are all the same size (e.g. -6)?

Answer: Yes. The dimensions of AN fittings are determined by specifications that all vendors adhere to.

Edit: This applies to the fitting end only. I cannot speak to the interchangeability of the hose end between brands.
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: AN Fittings/Hose - Quick Question - 02/05/24 02:57 PM

Try to keep all the brands the same for hoses and fittings. Some are interchangeable but not all. I believe it is Aeroquip that dimensionally others fittings will not fit on their hose. I prefer Fragola as they do have alot of custom adapter fittings, XRP is probably a tie for the top 2 for what I use.
Even though more towards the racing side of things with AN hose & fittings, I still wanted a OEM type of look.

Attached picture rsz_20160414_201144.jpg
Attached picture rsz_20160414_201129.jpg
Attached picture IMG_8666.jpg
Attached picture IMG_8664.jpg
Posted By: jb500

Re: AN Fittings/Hose - Quick Question - 02/08/24 02:27 AM

It depends on what you are mixing here. If you are trying to mix hose and hose ends from different mfg, then you may have issues as individual hose mfg may have different O.D. and that what the hose coupling/fitting is designed for. Think old school and Granimals clothes. Keep them matched and not mixed. Also, this "AN" hose you see listed is different in I.D. from industrial hose. The AN stuff is usually spec'd to be similar to tubing I.D. and not true I.D. as the size would indicate. Look up Fragola FRA-842006 on Summit's site and look at the I.D. It's less than 0.375" (0.344") and the O.D. is 0.560". Now compare that to Earl's Vapor Guard EAR-752066ERL and you'll see the I.D. is 0.375" and the O.D. is 0.625. These are critical dims in choosing the correct hose ends if you are going with resuables (screw together) hose ends.

Now when it comes to connectors/fittings, then the as long as the flare is 37deg you can mix and match parts, brands, material all day long between JIC and AN. Those are based on the thread size of the fitting.

And just an FYI...AN/JIC sizes are based on 1/16th's. 4=.25", 6=.375", 8=.50".....etc

Re: AN Fittings/Hose - Quick Question - 02/08/24 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by jb500
It depends on what you are mixing here. If you are trying to mix hose and hose ends from different mfg, then you may have issues as individual hose mfg may have different O.D. and that what the hose coupling/fitting is designed for. Think old school and Granimals clothes. Keep them matched and not mixed. Also, this "AN" hose you see listed is different in I.D. from industrial hose. The AN stuff is usually spec'd to be similar to tubing I.D. and not true I.D. as the size would indicate. Look up Fragola FRA-842006 on Summit's site and look at the I.D. It's less than 0.375" (0.344") and the O.D. is 0.560". Now compare that to Earl's Vapor Guard EAR-752066ERL and you'll see the I.D. is 0.375" and the O.D. is 0.625. These are critical dims in choosing the correct hose ends if you are going with resuables (screw together) hose ends.

Now when it comes to connectors/fittings, then the as long as the flare is 37deg you can mix and match parts, brands, material all day long between JIC and AN. Those are based on the thread size of the fitting.

And just an FYI...AN/JIC sizes are based on 1/16th's. 4=.25", 6=.375", 8=.50".....etc

Good to know. Thanks!
Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: AN Fittings/Hose - Quick Question - 02/08/24 12:31 PM

Go to the Aircraft Spruce web site for hose and AN fittings. They are the real stuff, not china made stuff like some suppliers sell. For installing the ends ATS sells the different size tools for that.
Posted By: topside

Re: AN Fittings/Hose - Quick Question - 02/08/24 05:20 PM

I've also seen differences in the ID of fittings from different manufacturers.
And FWIW, braided stainless hose is pretty effective at marring paint if allowed to scrape/abrade against it.
© 2024 Moparts Forums