Moparts

Will this AC hose crimper do the job?

Posted By: BDW

Will this AC hose crimper do the job? - 12/15/23 06:02 PM

I'm going to be hooking up my AC, not a factory install, so I'll be figuring it as I go.
Anyone have experience with these low cost crimpers?
I don't need a commercial grade tool to last a lifetime.
Would this meet the need?

REDLOONG hydraulic hose crimper ac crimping tool machine with dies Handheld Hydraulic Hose Crimping Tool Hydra-Krimp 71500 Manual A/C Hose Crimper Kit Air Conditioning Repair

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09W8HT3N...ent=4&dealEvent=1&language=en-US
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: Will this AC hose crimper do the job? - 12/15/23 11:37 PM

Yes.
Posted By: TJP

Re: Will this AC hose crimper do the job? - 12/16/23 02:07 AM

It'll do it just fine. Might do some shopping as there was a manual version that worked equally as well although best used in a bench vise. Should be some marked down units somewhere (ebay?) beer
Posted By: RJS

Re: Will this AC hose crimper do the job? - 12/16/23 02:05 PM

Search around I bought a different brand for less $$$ but looks and functions exactly the same.
They work perfectly and much better than the bench vise type when and if you ever have to work on an existing system in a car.
Ron
Posted By: Moparite

Re: Will this AC hose crimper do the job? - 12/16/23 06:25 PM

Visit a hydraulic hose shop, Get the fittings and measure how much hose you need for each and have them crimp them.

Re: Will this AC hose crimper do the job? - 12/16/23 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Moparite
Visit a hydraulic hose shop, Get the fittings and measure how much hose you need for each and have them crimp them.

if you go this route, be aware of any "curl" the hose may have. Make sure the hoses are routed the way you plan on installing them and cut to the correct length. INDEX any angled fittings to the hose as once they are crimped they don't move. up beer

Re: Will this AC hose crimper do the job? - 12/16/23 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by RJS
Search around I bought a differen beert brand for less $$$ but looks and functions exactly the same.
They work perfectly and much better than the bench vise type when and if you ever have to work on an existing system in a car.
Ron

Agreed, doesn't look like there is much difference price wise wink

Re: Will this AC hose crimper do the job? - 12/16/23 11:26 PM

Thx for the responses, I need to do a search to see if I can find a local place.
But this being a "custom" install, I'm almost certain I won't get all the lines figured out perfectly the first go.

I'll be splicing together a 2020 Gen 3 compressor, to a Vintage Air condensor, then to the factory drier and evaporator.

If this tool works for $100, it would save me the time and money of multiple trips to a shop.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Will this AC hose crimper do the job? - 12/17/23 01:20 AM

And you could probably sell it when you were done to recoup part of the cost.

Re: Will this AC hose crimper do the job? - 12/17/23 01:24 AM

Waste of time. To many variables going back and forth to a shop. Buying the tool will accomplish the job. I did a custom job when I bought my Chinese knock off hydraulic crimper and it was worth every penny.

Re: Will this AC hose crimper do the job? - 12/17/23 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by BDW
Thx for the responses, I need to do a search to see if I can find a local place.
But this being a "custom" install, I'm almost certain I won't get all the lines figured out perfectly the first go.

I'll be splicing together a 2020 Gen 3 compressor, to a Vintage Air condensor, then to the factory drier and evaporator.

If this tool works for $100, it would save me the time and money of multiple trips to a shop.

Rest assured it'll do the job. Do read the instructions and maybe do a few practice crimps. If I remember correctly one or two of the die sets are dual purpose wink
Posted By: Moparite

Re: Will this AC hose crimper do the job? - 12/17/23 01:04 PM

Waste of time. To many variables going back and forth to a shop.

Buy the fittings and the length of hose you need to make all of them. Do all the figuring and mark the hose-fitting configuration. Then take them to get crimped. I would trust the crimper more at the hydraulic shop than something you got off Amazon/ebay. If it doesn't crimp it tight enough and leaks is it a waste of time then?

Re: Will this AC hose crimper do the job? - 12/17/23 02:41 PM

Waste of time. To many variables going back and forth to a shop.

Buy the fittings and the length of hose you need to make all of them. Do all the figuring and mark the hose-fitting configuration. Then take them to get crimped. I would trust the crimper more at the hydraulic shop than something you got off Amazon/ebay. If it doesn't crimp it tight enough and leaks is it a waste of time then?

That tool will do the job as well as any hydraulic shops tools. Having the tool allows you to be able to make necessary fitment of the line. To many times I have had lines done and then installing you wish they were just a little longer a little shorter or turned a few degrees left or right. I put the fitting on one end then fit the hose. Cut it, slide the end on and recheck fitment. Then do the final crimp. My tool has been paid for 3 times over with tips and beer helping other friends.

Re: Will this AC hose crimper do the job? - 12/17/23 04:21 PM

Owning the tool for $100, (I think mine was $85) is well worth the freedom to do what you want when you want and these tools make perfect crimps or I wouldn't recommend it here to another user.
Having to deal with going to a shop is timely and costly period.
Ron
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Will this AC hose crimper do the job? - 12/17/23 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by RJS
Owning the tool for $100, (I think mine was $85) is well worth the freedom to do what you want when you want and these tools make perfect crimps or I wouldn't recommend it here to another user.
Having to deal with going to a shop is timely and costly period.
Ron

I wonder how much having all those crimps done at a shop, even of perfect the first time out, will cost? Will it get close enough to the cost of the tool, not even taking your time into account, to make it worthwhile to just buy the tool, even of only for one job?

I mean we are talking at least 6 crimps? More if you run rear AC too.

Re: Will this AC hose crimper do the job? - 12/18/23 01:13 AM

I spent 8hrs today struggling to get done what I expected to only take 2hrs.
And all I did was put in the condenser, not a single hose, nothing else, just mounted a condenser.
This definitely made up my mind to get the crimper.
I have absolutely no doubt there will be several hiccups along the way.

With work, I don't have the opportunity to make multiple trips to a shop to fix all my mistakes.
I'll be able to do it myself when time permits.

Down to these 2 and can't see a difference, same manufacturer, 1 blue and the other is black.
Why the $25 price difference?

IBOSAD Hydraulic AC Hose Crimper Hydra-Krimp 71500 Manual A/C Hose Crimper Kit Air Conditioning Repaire Handheld Hydraulic Hose Crimping Tool for BH Air Conditioner Hose & Beadlock A/C Fittings https://a.co/d/eKbvQOj

IBOSAD Hydraulic Hose Crimper Hydra-Krimp 71500 Manual A/C Hose Crimper Kit Air Conditioning Repaire Handheld Hydraulic Hose Crimping Tool https://a.co/d/0Wck2Ql

Re: Will this AC hose crimper do the job? - 12/18/23 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by BDW
I spent 8hrs today struggling to get done what I expected to only take 2hrs.
And all I did was put in the condenser, not a single hose, nothing else, just mounted a condenser.
This definitely made up my mind to get the crimper.
I have absolutely no doubt there will be several hiccups along the way.

With work, I don't have the opportunity to make multiple trips to a shop to fix all my mistakes.
I'll be able to do it myself when time permits.

Down to these 2 and can't see a difference, same manufacturer, 1 blue and the other is black.
Why the $25 price difference?

IBOSAD Hydraulic AC Hose Crimper Hydra-Krimp 71500 Manual A/C Hose Crimper Kit Air Conditioning Repaire Handheld Hydraulic Hose Crimping Tool for BH Air Conditioner Hose & Beadlock A/C Fittings https://a.co/d/eKbvQOj

IBOSAD Hydraulic Hose Crimper Hydra-Krimp 71500 Manual A/C Hose Crimper Kit Air Conditioning Repaire Handheld Hydraulic Hose Crimping Tool https://a.co/d/0Wck2Ql
maybe the cheaper one was pre current uhh confused bitem whistling🤣🤣🍻
Posted By: Jim_Lusk

Re: Will this AC hose crimper do the job? - 12/18/23 03:36 AM

I've got a different one (but also Amazon Chinese made) and it didn't work well with the hose and fittings that came from Classic Auto Air. I will probably take the car to a local AC shop to get the hoses made up. Although, the problem may be the fittings or the hoses. The crimp is only supposed to hold the fitting to the hose, not create the seal. Does anybody use a sealant on the hose?

Re: Will this AC hose crimper do the job? - 12/18/23 03:27 PM

There is no difference in the two you posted except color, I used that brand when I initially borrowed a friends tool.
I since bought my own but was mistaken on the price, here is the deal I had gotten at the time:

VEVOR 71500 Hydraulic Hose Ferrule Crimper 5/16"-5/8" A/C Hose Crimping Tools
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐✅ 8 Ton Pump✅7 Jaws ✅1-1/4" Hose Cutter✅
ganfeii1_4
ganfeii1_4

(46618)

99% positiveSeller's other itemsSeller's other itemsContact seller

US $96.39

Jim Lusk I know of no sealer used on these hoses to make the crimp.

Ron
Posted By: moparx

Re: Will this AC hose crimper do the job? - 12/19/23 03:54 PM

over the years, i have bought tools such as this for one time job use, and have been quite impressed with the function of them, as well as being in house hose routing and fitting selection.
just my personal experience.
your mileage will vary.
beer
Posted By: Twostick

Re: Will this AC hose crimper do the job? - 12/19/23 07:37 PM

I had zero luck with the crimped fittings. After the 3rd one started to leak, I switched to Aeroquip EZ Clip system. The hose is almost half the OD and it's a a simple squeeze of a plier type tool to lock the clamps. You can assemble everything, adjust all the fitting clockings and then click all the clamps, done. Fittings are reusable.

https://youtu.be/a3k1zDGNujI?si=8U_cJ-956br3VTpT

Kevin

Re: Will this AC hose crimper do the job? - 12/19/23 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Twostick
I had zero luck with the crimped fittings. After the 3rd one started to leak, I switched to Aeroquip EZ Clip system. The hose is almost half the OD and it's a a simple squeeze of a plier type tool to lock the clamps. You can assemble everything, adjust all the fitting clockings and then click all the clamps, done. Fittings are reusable.

https://youtu.be/a3k1zDGNujI?si=8U_cJ-956br3VTpT

Kevin

Common problem is the hose and fittings need to match. If you are using the correct hose and fittings they will not leak. I will bet I have done close to 100 with zero failures.
Posted By: Twostick

Re: Will this AC hose crimper do the job? - 12/20/23 03:08 AM

You would think, but I used the VintageAir hose kit and borrowed the correct tool for that system and used it per the instructions which IIRC was to tighten until it bottomed out. It's been quite a few years now but I think it was Gates hose and fittings. I then recrimped them with a different tool that allowed you to squeeze them tighter and still no good. I'm aware that if I somehow messed up the first time, recrimping might not fix the problem.

Once I discovered the Aeroquip EZ, it was so long crimp fittings. I've used it on my big truck too. As quick as you can squeeze the pliers, you're done. Literally click click.

Kevin

Re: Will this AC hose crimper do the job? - 12/20/23 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Twostick
You would think, but I used the VintageAir hose kit and borrowed the correct tool for that system and used it per the instructions which IIRC was to tighten until it bottomed out. It's been quite a few years now but I think it was Gates hose and fittings. I then recrimped them with a different tool that allowed you to squeeze them tighter and still no good. I'm aware that if I somehow messed up the first time, recrimping might not fix the problem.

Once I discovered the Aeroquip EZ, it was so long crimp fittings. I've used it on my big truck too. As quick as you can squeeze the pliers, you're done. Literally click click.

Kevin

If it was the manual screw down version my original Mastercool unit had two red lines scribed 1/8" above to completely closed position. The instructions at the time said to stop at the red lines. I just checked their website and the instructions are the same. I am not sure how one is supposed to determine what step 8 means shruggy confused

Also had a Vintage air install where the lines leaked a small amount (Lost charge over winter). When I called their tech line the said they had some issues with fittings and to over crimp the leakers. leaks gone shruggy beer

Attached picture 1.png

Re: Will this AC hose crimper do the job? - 12/21/23 02:40 AM

Anyone following, please re-read my previous post as I forgot the pic and there was an error in thinking Master Cool had changed their instructions.
I was in a hurry frown spank
© 2024 Moparts Forums