Moparts

Car dusters , California. Car still the best

Posted By: gtx6970

Car dusters , California. Car still the best - 12/11/23 04:15 PM

I think its about time I replace mine from a couple years ago.
Ive washed it but it doesnt seem to pick up like it used to

Is California Car Duster still the brand of choice , or is there a better option ?
Posted By: BloFish

Re: Car dusters , California. Car still the best - 12/11/23 05:43 PM

Not in my opinion. Also, I believe you are not suppose to wash them. I have one from 1997 and still works flawlessly.
Posted By: topside

Re: Car dusters , California. Car still the best - 12/11/23 06:11 PM

One of mine is old enough to vote - it's been demoted to dusting my white Dually laugh2
I've never washed it; I just shake it out, which may well be pointless, but IIRC that's what they advised.

A new one is on my to-do list, and it'll also be from them.
I have another brand I bought from AutoZone, though, and it works fine.
Maybe the tech is widespread now, I don't know.
Posted By: Dcuda69

Re: Car dusters , California. Car still the best - 12/11/23 09:31 PM

I had a no-name from Amazon....never really liked it. Finally bought a California duster......BIG difference..works much better.

P.S. They say you can was them but only as a last resort. https://www.calcarduster.com/faq
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: Car dusters , California. Car still the best - 12/11/23 10:21 PM

I have had one of mine since around 85'. I have washed it several times over the years. Still works great. I have several others in other cars that are over 20 -25 years old also.
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Car dusters , California. Car still the best - 12/11/23 11:06 PM

I still have a wood handled one around here somewhere.
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: Car dusters , California. Car still the best - 12/12/23 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by Pacnorthcuda
I still have a wood handled one around here somewhere.

Yes, mine are all wooden handles. Are they no longer? I haven't looked.
Posted By: poorboy

Re: Car dusters , California. Car still the best - 12/12/23 12:28 AM

Probably around 4-5 years ago they went to a plastic handle. The plastic handle ones still work great.

I bought a pair of them as a package deal, a small "dash" one and the regular large outside the car one. I spent an hour one day looking for the small one before my wife confessed she hijacked it to use in the house! In farness, she did buy me a replacement set.

Re: Car dusters , California. Car still the best - 12/12/23 12:38 AM

Thanks,
I have 2 ,One of the CA Car versions and an off brand I cant remember. Neither one works as good as it did new, Both are less than 5 years old

I live in a dustbowl state with a black car so it gets a workout multiple times a day at shows
Posted By: TJP

Re: Car dusters , California. Car still the best - 12/12/23 01:53 AM

If I remember correctly the originals ( I'm talking 80's) said to cold water wash/soak them in woolite smile beer
Posted By: wingman

Re: Car dusters , California. Car still the best - 12/12/23 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by poorboy
Probably around 4-5 years ago they went to a plastic handle. The plastic handle ones still work great.

I think you can still get the wood handles or the plastic ones. Wood ones cost more.
Posted By: SomeCarGuy

Re: Car dusters , California. Car still the best - 12/12/23 03:54 PM

They come with a paper saying washing can make them not work as well. I recall a mention of how to wash if you really had to for whatever reason.
Posted By: Sinitro

Re: Car dusters , California. Car still the best - 12/13/23 12:52 AM

Since we have been a user with Cal Cover Duster for 20 years and have the following comments....
1, For maintenance, here is direct lift from Cal Cover staff...
"You really do not want to try and clean or rinse the California Car Duster until it is a last resort.
For daily maintenance, simply shake out the car duster or clean it thoroughly with an air gun. The mop will discolor with continued use, but keep using the car duster as long as it is picking up the dust..."
2. Regarding availability
They have (2) versions (1) with a wooden handle $24.95, and (1) with a plastic handle $19.95. They also have a couple of smaller versions available as well..

Just my $0.02... wink
Posted By: TJP

Re: Car dusters , California. Car still the best - 12/13/23 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by Sinitro
Since we have been a user with Cal Cover Duster for 20 years and have the following comments....
1, For maintenance, here is direct lift from Cal Cover staff...
"You really do not want to try and clean or rinse the California Car Duster until it is a last resort.
For daily maintenance, simply shake out the car duster or clean it thoroughly with an air gun. The mop will discolor with continued use, but keep using the car duster as long as it is picking up the dust..."
2. Regarding availability
They have (2) versions (1) with a wooden handle $24.95, and (1) with a plastic handle $19.95. They also have a couple of smaller versions available as well..

Just my $0.02... wink

The following is from California car cover whom I believe was the originator of the product. Bought my first one at a Pleasanton NSRA or Good guys event about 1985 or 6 ?
LINKY
The link is dated 2005.

The California Car Duster can go years without washing and in most cases works just as well as the first day. It is best to simply shake the duster out after use and on occasion blow the mop out with air. From most customer experience their dusters have lasted in the range of 15 years.

If you do feel the need to wash your California Car Duster, here are the steps:
1. Wash the duster by hand, leaving the mop on the handle.
2. Clean the duster in cool water mixed with a small amount of a mild detergent (i.e. Woolite)
3. Rinse clean with fresh, cool water.
4. Let the duster air dry (this may take a couple of days.

There are others making the product and that is likely where the conflicting information is coming from. I did try the Woolite treatment on one 30 or so years ago. It helped but never cleaned the same. Just wanted to clarify what I posted wink beer
Posted By: A12

Re: Car dusters , California. Car still the best - 12/13/23 03:15 AM

And here is from my CCC catalog dated Winter 23/24 on the Car Dusters. Bought enough car covers and things over the decades since the late '70's and before 1989/1998 when they were called Beverly Hills Motoring Accessories, (which is back but another story).

Attached picture 20231212_201606_resized.jpg
Attached picture 20231212_201622_resized.jpg
Attached picture 20231212_201637_resized.jpg
Posted By: Dcuda69

Re: Car dusters , California. Car still the best - 12/13/23 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by Dcuda69
I had a no-name from Amazon....never really liked it. Finally bought a California duster......BIG difference..works much better.

P.S. They say you can was them but only as a last resort. https://www.calcarduster.com/faq

Here!! I'll quote myself for all of you that don't read all the posts in a thread but feel the need to reply.

Re: Car dusters , California. Car still the best - 12/13/23 03:52 AM

P.S. They say you can wash them but only as a last resort. https://www.calcarduster.com/faq

Here!! I'll quote myself for all of you that don't read all the posts in a thread but feel the need to reply.

With the "Baked in Wax" is it really suggested that it can be washed? But I didn't read all of the posts.

Attached picture 20231212_201622_aaresized.jpg

Re: Car dusters , California. Car still the best - 12/13/23 01:27 PM

That might be my problem

I had the wife wash both mine last year and neither one works as well as I felt it did when new . Best i can think, Both of them are less than 3 or 4 years old.

I'll pick up a new one this week and see how it works
Posted By: dart4forte

Re: Car dusters , California. Car still the best - 12/13/23 02:13 PM

My original duster fell apart recently. I bought it back in the early 80s
Posted By: BloFish

Re: Car dusters , California. Car still the best - 12/13/23 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by gtx6970
That might be my problem

I had the wife wash both mine last year and neither one works as well as I felt it did when new . Best i can think, Both of them are less than 3 or 4 years old.

Just in time for Christmas 🎄

Re: Car dusters , California. Car still the best - 12/13/23 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by BloFish
That might be my problem

grin up XmasPengSanta4

Re: Car dusters , California. Car still the best - 12/13/23 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by BloFish
That might be my problem

Be nice.

But I'll need it for a show this Saturday in Phoenix/ Queen Creek AZ

So early Christmas present for the car !!!!
© 2024 Moparts Forums