Moparts

Axle Bearing Grease

Posted By: 6PakBee

Axle Bearing Grease - 11/06/23 03:57 PM

I am in a conundrum about rear axle bearings. The "Green" bearings are an attractive option but there seems to be no consensus on if they are a good choice or a bad choice. I also note that there is no like/dislike with the Green bearings, mostly love/hate. So, back to the tapered Timkens. What grease would you all recommend for those bearings. The recommendation in the FSM is decades old and technology marches on.

Cost is NO object, I only want to do this once in the few shopping days I have left on this earth. I've looked for recommendations on the internet but it seems that whereas everybody is recommending synthetics, there is the Royal Purple camp, the Amszoil camp, the Lucas camp, on and on.

So what are your thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Axle Bearing Grease - 11/06/23 05:27 PM

I use regular old Hi temp wheel bearing grease in a grease gun tube , use an injector tip to fill it after putting it on the axle. I use a bearing heater to install them so I do it after it cools.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Axle Bearing Grease - 11/06/23 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by JohnRR
I use regular old Hi temp wheel bearing grease in a grease gun tube , use an injector tip to fill it after putting it on the axle. I use a bearing heater to install them so I do it after it cools.

as above. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ iagree
beer
Posted By: TJP

Re: Axle Bearing Grease - 11/06/23 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by moparx

beer

X 3 wink I do use a bearing packer on the bearings. I cover them with Saran wrap while pressing them on. I cover them again with saran wrap until they are being installed in the housing.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Axle Bearing Grease - 11/06/23 09:40 PM

beer

Me three wrench up I use one of my old hand pump grease guns with a needle tip on it to inject the black high temp moly base bearing grease into the slots between the big end of roller bearings until it comes out the small ends wrench scope up
I hadn't thought about using my old manual mechanical wheel bearing grease packer, I will now wrench bow up
Posted By: GarageDodge

Re: Axle Bearing Grease - 11/06/23 10:34 PM

As above
Posted By: PhillyRag

Re: Axle Bearing Grease - 11/07/23 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge

beer

Me three wrench up I use one of my old hand pump grease guns with a needle tip on it to inject the black high temp moly base bearing grease into the slots between the big end of roller bearings until it comes out the small ends wrench scope up
I hadn't thought about using my old manual mechanical wheel bearing grease packer, I will now wrench bow up

Exactly what I've always done.
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: Axle Bearing Grease - 11/07/23 02:27 PM

I'd be lying if I didn't say I was surprised with the responses. But I thank everyone who did. up
Posted By: moparx

Re: Axle Bearing Grease - 11/07/23 05:41 PM

you are very welcome sir. up
beer
Posted By: jlatessa

Re: Axle Bearing Grease - 11/08/23 02:18 PM

I guess I should get one of those new-fangled packers,
but I still put a glob of grease on my palm and with the bearing in the other hand,
smack it into the edge of the grease until I see it coming out of the other side....

Joe
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Axle Bearing Grease - 11/08/23 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by jlatessa
but I still put a glob of grease on my palm and with the bearing in the other hand,
smack it into the edge of the grease until I see it coming out of the other side....

Joe

I do have one that uses a grease gun that sandwiches the bearing in between 2 plastic angled discs but I rarely use it and just pack them like you describe.
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: Axle Bearing Grease - 11/08/23 08:12 PM

Joe

I do have one that uses a grease gun that sandwiches the bearing in between 2 plastic angled discs but I rarely use it and just pack them like you describe.
That plastic thing is almost as messy as using your hand to pack them.
Posted By: RoadRunnerLuva

Re: Axle Bearing Grease - 11/08/23 09:59 PM

Joe

This ^^^
© 2024 Moparts Forums