Moparts

LED light conversion

Posted By: cdp

LED light conversion - 10/13/23 09:43 PM

Need some help solving my turnsignals/flasher situation on my 71 GTX.

Fully rebuilt instrument cluster, new LED bulbs in dash that are dimmable & RPM limiter(almost every one of them, save for heater switch and A/G switch). New LED turnsignal, side marker, and taillights. All come on and work properly...except turn signals and flashers.

Fully rebuilt steering column with new turn signal switch, etc.

Also added LED compatible flasher (round one beside ashtray) today.

Am missing another flasher, or is it just the one on this system?

Indicator turn signal lights come on in dash, turn signal lights come on outside front and back, but no flashing.

Flashers, when turned on light up on dash...then will blink only when turn signal switch is activated, but nothing happens outside.

Posted By: roadrunninMark

Re: LED light conversion - 10/13/23 09:55 PM

I thought there were 2 flashers, one for the hazzards and one for turn signals. Also, LEDs have a polarity so you have to make sure the bulbs are wired correctly (neg to neg, pos to pos) unleass you get the one with the polarity reversing adapter. Otherwise they wont light up either.
Posted By: Sniper

Re: LED light conversion - 10/13/23 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by roadrunninMark
I thought there were 2 flashers, one for the hazzards and one for turn signals.

There are two flashers. Not a B body guy so I don't know where they are, but on my A bodies the easy one to get to is the hazard flasher, lol.

Re: LED light conversion - 10/13/23 10:12 PM

Yep, found the other flasher thats about above the steering column, which I'm going back to the parts store to get another one.

On the polarity, I ~thought~ I bought the ones that it doesn't matter on polarity, as I do think they make them....but I'm not an expert. I'm assuming this would only effect the sidemarker lights though.

I checked what I ordered on Amazon and they are all non-polarity versions. And dash were all dimmable.

Re: LED light conversion - 10/13/23 11:04 PM

Well, installed another LED flasher, but that didn't help. So I do have one for each, the turn signal and flasher.
Posted By: poorboy

Re: LED light conversion - 10/14/23 12:28 AM

If you have LED lighting in the actual turn and tail lights, they may not create enough heat to activate the flashers (I have some concerns about the LED flashers as well, nothing is as good as it was 3 years ago). There are resisters you can add to the LED turn and tail light wiring to assist the LEDs with the flasher applications. Should show up in an online search.

I have all LED lighting in my 49 Dodge pickup. I'm on my 2nd pair (turn and hazard) of LED flashers, they are only lasting about a year. The start out well, but slow down to nothing pretty quickly, even noticeable sitting at traffic lights. I'm probably going to end up adding the LED turn assist resisters to my truck.

Those turn signal flashers are bimetal switches. The contacts close when the turn switch is activated, the bimetal heats up and pulls the contact points apart until the bimetal cools and makes contact again. I believe this is done electronically these days, but how that is done is way over my head.
Posted By: EW1BH27

Re: LED light conversion - 10/14/23 12:59 AM

Ebodies have 2 flashers also. One on the ashtray housing and one on the steering column bracket.

Re: LED light conversion - 10/14/23 01:06 AM

Yes, so everything I'm reading is load resistance, which is why I bought the load resistance flasher. Now I have 2, still not working. My understanding is that I didn't need resisters at the lights. I did read on a YouTube video of converting an 80s chevy truck with both LED and standard bulbs to a Linova552, which seemed to work. The comment section, however, showed others tried with no success. One comment back was to use a load resistance flasher with a ground to solve the issue of having all LED's bulbs.

I'll look into the resisters for the bulbs, but was hoping to avoid that and not cut or add new wires to my nice originals.
Posted By: Car Nut

Re: LED light conversion - 10/14/23 05:45 AM

This is the LED flasher I used, with a ground wire, I had to switch the polarities on my plug that plugs into the flasher. The LED flasher is reverse to our Mopar wiring. Mine works fine.

Attached picture IMG_6064.jpeg
Posted By: MI_Custumz

Re: LED light conversion - 10/14/23 10:15 AM

May not be the same, but should be close. I have a 70 Monte Carlo that I had issues with. The flasher I used was like the one above with the ground wire. I also bought from Superbrightleds instead of Amazon. Not sure if that made a difference.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: LED light conversion - 10/14/23 12:46 PM

The flashers do not need that ground wire. The polarity of them is specific - a quick and dirty bench check will show this.
Posted By: Moparite

Re: LED light conversion - 10/14/23 03:37 PM

Not sure what "led flasher" you are using but get a HD flasher(used when towing a trailer) it has a timer circuit/relay and doesn't use resistance/amp load to flash the lights.
Posted By: MI_Custumz

Re: LED light conversion - 10/15/23 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Stanton
The flashers do not need that ground wire. The polarity of them is specific - a quick and dirty bench check will show this.

May not need it, but it's what I was looking for. The one that worked the best didn't make the clicking noise. I didn't want to be driving around with blinkers on and not know it. The one I have make 2 click noises after I turn it off, but I can live with that.

Re: LED light conversion - 10/19/23 09:45 PM

So, found the solutions, which was stated above.

Polarity of the plug does not match the no load LED flasher. Swapped the plug and re-installed. Blinders/turn signals all now work.
© 2024 Moparts Forums