Moparts

Brake Upgrade

Posted By: dart4forte

Brake Upgrade - 09/22/23 07:02 PM

Looking to do a brake upgrade on my 52 Dodge B3B. I’m running a front clip off a 1988 Dodge Dakota with the stock Dakota disk brakes. The motor is a Desoto 330 Hemi. I’ve looked at some of the aftermarket brake kits like Powerstop and they don’t offer anything for the Dodge Dakota. Maybe thinking there’s a larger brake setup off a larger vehicle that’s compatible.
Posted By: Neil

Re: Brake Upgrade - 09/23/23 12:16 AM

People put Viper brakes on 2nd Gen Dakota pickups. Not sure anyone makes anything for an 88 model? Maybe some of the 2nd Gen parts can be installed on your front end?

BTW the Viper parts require large diameter rims as the rotors are bigger. Depending on what size wheels you have the Viper parts may not fit behind them.
Posted By: ruderunner

Re: Brake Upgrade - 09/23/23 12:00 PM

What are you running for rear brakes?
Posted By: jcc

Re: Brake Upgrade - 09/23/23 01:02 PM

What is your reasoning for considering a brake upgrade?

Re: Brake Upgrade - 09/24/23 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by ruderunner
What are you running for rear brakes?

10” drums, E body rear

Re: Brake Upgrade - 09/24/23 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by jcc

53 B3B with a 330 Desoto Hemi on a 88 Dakota clip. Truck is real nose heavy. Braking from hwy speeds is challanging. Getting a lot of brake fade. One of the mods I’ll do is go to a early Ram MC, more capacity.
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Brake Upgrade - 09/24/23 10:31 PM

I was going to suggest better pad material as an option, but looking around it does not appear to be an option.
Posted By: a12rag

Re: Brake Upgrade - 09/25/23 01:48 PM

Maybe check in with Cass (Dr. Diff) . . . he might have good suggestion for you. . . .

Re: Brake Upgrade - 09/25/23 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by dart4forte
Originally Posted by jcc

53 B3B with a 330 Desoto Hemi on a 88 Dakota clip. Truck is real nose heavy. Braking from hwy speeds is challanging. Getting a lot of brake fade. One of the mods I’ll do is go to a early Ram MC, more capacity.

Yeah, not a lot of options
Posted By: Andyvh1959

Re: Brake Upgrade - 01/18/24 05:32 PM

One thing for certain, the front disc brakes on the 97 to 2002 Dakota, in a word, suck. Crap really, poor feel, dragging/stuck calipers, pad wear/rotor heat/ warpping. I have read the front disc brakes from the 2003 Durango are much improved in all aspects and the parts can be directly mounted to the 97 to 2002 Dakota. So when I prep my 2001 Dakota chassis to go under my 56 Dodge pickup I'll replace the brake system on the front with the 2003 Durango parts. Anyone out there have done this brake upgrade? Anyone have a complete part list needed?

I've read the parts needed are: 2003 Durango rotors-hubs/spindles/calipers/brake pads. Anything else to plan for when I do the upgrade?
Posted By: A990

Re: Brake Upgrade - 01/18/24 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Andyvh1959
One thing for certain, the front disc brakes on the 97 to 2002 Dakota, in a word, suck. Crap really, poor feel, dragging/stuck calipers, pad wear/rotor heat/ warpping. I have read the front disc brakes from the 2003 Durango are much improved in all aspects and the parts can be directly mounted to the 97 to 2002 Dakota. So when I prep my 2001 Dakota chassis to go under my 56 Dodge pickup I'll replace the brake system on the front with the 2003 Durango parts. Anyone out there have done this brake upgrade? Anyone have a complete part list needed?

I've read the parts needed are: 2003 Durango rotors-hubs/spindles/calipers/brake pads. Anything else to plan for when I do the upgrade?

I did this swap on my 99. All you need from the donor is the spindles. If the donor parts are good go with those.
03 Dakota use the same setup.
The 03 tie rod ends are slightly different, so if you use the 97-02 parts the toe will be off, but it's easily fixed at alignment time.
It definitely improves braking. BTW the 03 rotors are 11.75" dia.
I just remembered the 03 setup ditches the screw in slider pins. Horrible idea.
© 2024 Moparts Forums