Moparts

Weird A/C Issue

Posted By: Crosshairs

Weird A/C Issue - 09/02/23 03:42 PM

1989 Dodge Dakota 3.9 2WD. The A/C blows nice and cold (48) on all fan speeds except HIGH (the clutch turns off). Once I lower the fan speed, the clutch kicks back on and everything is cool again!
Posted By: 1969RR

Re: Weird A/C Issue - 09/02/23 03:53 PM

Blower resistor

Re: Weird A/C Issue - 09/02/23 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by 1969RR
Blower resistor

I thought a bad resistor only allowed the fan to blow at one speed.
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Weird A/C Issue - 09/02/23 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Crosshairs
Blower resistor

Correct and that speed is

wait for it

High

And it doesn't effect the clutch, unless the AC line pressure gets too high, but that would the the pressure switch kicking in.

Re: Weird A/C Issue - 09/02/23 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Sniper
Blower resistor

wait for it

High

And it doesn't effect the clutch, unless the AC line pressure gets too high, but that would the the pressure switch kicking in.

Still don't understand what the blower speed has to do with the clutch! What am I missing?
Posted By: TJP

Re: Weird A/C Issue - 09/03/23 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by Sniper
Blower resistor

wait for it

High

Still don't understand what the blower speed has to do with the clutch! What am I missing?

I'm thinking the line pressure shruggy

Re: Weird A/C Issue - 09/03/23 03:05 AM

So the high blower speed causes increased line pressure that activates the clutch cutoff?? Do I have that right? I mean a resistor is dirt cheap, I just want to understand it too!
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Weird A/C Issue - 09/03/23 02:00 PM

Lack of the fan working might be causing the line pressure to rise triggering the high pressure shut off, but it would not be instantaneous.

You probably have a short dropping power to the clutch circuit when you switch to high fan speed. Unplug the fan and see what happens when you put it in high.

Re: Weird A/C Issue - 09/11/23 06:05 PM

1989 Dodge Dakota 3.9 2WD. The A/C blows nice and cold (48) on all fan speeds except HIGH (the clutch turns off). Once I lower the fan speed, the clutch kicks back on and everything is cool again!

**************It seems it was the blower resistor************************* Thanks
Posted By: TJP

Re: Weird A/C Issue - 09/11/23 06:10 PM

**************It seems it was the blower resistor************************* Thanks

up
Posted By: moparx

Re: Weird A/C Issue - 09/13/23 05:15 PM

glad it was a simple fix !
beer
© 2024 Moparts Forums