Moparts

440 4-speed, severe grinding in and out of every gear

Posted By: Moparmaniacc

440 4-speed, severe grinding in and out of every gear - 08/20/23 12:35 AM

I don't know how to describe what is going on with my 4-speed, basically it sounds like I'm trying to push it into gear without the clutch, but then again it sounds like that even when I am OUT of gear. This is a 23-sline A-833 in a 70' Challenger.
I can still get it to shift, all 4 gears and reverse, with difficulty but even then the grinding noise is there, it's not as bad when you are at the optimum speed for that gear. Is it a linkage adjustment gone wrong? or did my 1-2 and 3-4 synchros die at the same time?
Sorry if this doesn't make sense.
thanks
J
Posted By: TJP

Re: 440 4-speed, severe grinding in and out of every gear - 08/20/23 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by Moparmaniacc
I don't know how to describe what is going on with my 4-speed, basically it sounds like I'm trying to push it into gear without the clutch, but then again it sounds like that even when I am OUT of gear. This is a 23-sline A-833 in a 70' Challenger.
I can still get it to shift, all 4 gears and reverse, with difficulty but even then the grinding noise is there, it's not as bad when you are at the optimum speed for that gear. Is it a linkage adjustment gone wrong? or did my 1-2 and 3-4 synchros die at the same time?
Sorry if this doesn't make sense.
thanks
J

So are you saying it grinds sitting still? In all gears? what does it do in neutral with the clutch in and out?? confused
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: 440 4-speed, severe grinding in and out of every gear - 08/20/23 01:47 AM

Sounds like the input shaft isn't slowing down. Either your input shaft is bound up in the end of the crank with a stuck pilot bushing or the clutch is not disengaging. Severe mis-alignment could also do that .
Dis it happen all of a sudden or did you change something?

Gus beer
Posted By: PhillyRag

Re: 440 4-speed, severe grinding in and out of every gear - 08/20/23 02:12 AM

Just drain out some fluid and see what it looks like.
Any metal like residue would point towards bearings bad, or other item.
let us know what it looks like.
Posted By: topside

Re: 440 4-speed, severe grinding in and out of every gear - 08/20/23 04:17 AM

Had a deal in 2019 that sounds similar to that problem - a couple of the snap rings had been improperly installed in a previous rebuild, and the internals were moving fore & aft.
Basically, the trans was eating itself; went from "what the hell is that" to a horrible grinding racket very quickly.
Had to replace countershaft, synchro rings, bearings, and snap rings.
Brewer's had everything for about $200 and shipped quickly.
Posted By: fastmark

Re: 440 4-speed, severe grinding in and out of every gear - 08/20/23 09:27 AM

First, don’t drive it. You’re eating up your gears. I put synthetic gear oil in mine once and it was so slick, the synchros would not stop the gears and it would grind. Sounds like your input or clutch is not disengaging. Time to start pulling the transmission to check everything.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: 440 4-speed, severe grinding in and out of every gear - 08/20/23 04:59 PM

How much clutch travel do you have before it starts to get harder to push down?
If more than one inch I adjust it so the pedal has minimum travel (less than one ich travel up scope wrench) before it starts pushing on the pressure plate, I buy the A body A motor clutch rods to use in all my 4 speed cars, the stock B and E bodies are a lot shorter than the A body rods are scope up
Posted By: A12

Re: 440 4-speed, severe grinding in and out of every gear - 08/20/23 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by fastmark
First, don’t drive it. You’re eating up your gears. I put synthetic gear oil in mine once and it was so slick, the synchros would not stop the gears and it would grind. Sounds like your input or clutch is not disengaging. Time to start pulling the transmission to check everything.

^This is my guess too. Wrong trans fluid.
Posted By: topside

Re: 440 4-speed, severe grinding in and out of every gear - 08/20/23 07:04 PM

At different times, I've run gear oil, ATF & synthetic in an A833, and never heard any roughness or grinding.

Re: 440 4-speed, severe grinding in and out of every gear - 08/21/23 01:51 AM

If it's grinding AFTER your in gear & driving it, it's metal-on-metal contact.
If that's true: has nothing to do about linkage/shifter adj, clutch petal travel, etc.
Posted By: Ramman

Re: 440 4-speed, severe grinding in and out of every gear - 08/21/23 03:41 PM

Wrong gear lube.
GL-4 only!
Not GL-5
Not GL 4/5
GL-4 only!
Posted By: TJP

Re: 440 4-speed, severe grinding in and out of every gear - 08/21/23 04:13 PM

OP registered in 2004, has 744 posts work

1.5 days 10 responses from all but the OP whistling maybe he put an auto in it whistling
Posted By: SomeCarGuy

Re: 440 4-speed, severe grinding in and out of every gear - 08/21/23 07:13 PM

I out the passion gear oil in one and it went from smooth shifting to grinding. Drained it immediately. Old lube hadn’t been changed by me and came out with some moisture even. So I thought I’d done good until first drive. I put 85w-140 in and it was back to being business as usual. I mentioned this before on here and somebody said that meant the trans was worn out if it wouldn’t shift right with the passion juice. That might’ve been, but I wasn’t doing a tear down of a good working trans so I could run a certain type of gear oil.

Re: 440 4-speed, severe grinding in and out of every gear - 08/21/23 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by SomeCarGuy
I out the passion gear oil in one and it went from smooth shifting to grinding. Drained it immediately. Old lube hadn’t been changed by me and came out with some moisture even. So I thought I’d done good until first drive. I put 85w-140 in and it was back to being business as usual. I mentioned this before on here and somebody said that meant the trans was worn out if it wouldn’t shift right with the passion juice. That might’ve been, but I wasn’t doing a tear down of a good working trans so I could run a certain type of gear oil.

Guess what's good-for-the-goose, may not be good-for-the-gander. (i.e. Passion vs A833)
Baffles me why many don't use the "normal" gear oil in an a833.
It thins out enough soon after driving as to not be a problem, except in colder weather.
And really, how many Really drive them in cold weather?
© 2024 Moparts Forums