Moparts

Opinions on aftermarket shifters

Posted By: 440mopar

Opinions on aftermarket shifters - 07/21/23 01:07 PM

I am trying to decide on an aftermarket automatic shifter for my car. I've narrowed my choices down to a Hurst Promatic, B&M Quicksilver and TA Cheetah. I'm not interested in any other shifters other than these three. I know the Cheetah is highly recommended for race applications but my car is only driven on the street. I do like the looks of the Cheetah best but my main concern is ease of use as my wife will drive the car occasionally as well. I've never had an aftermarket shifter in any of my cars so I'm not really sure what is easier to use, a ratchet or a gate shifter.
Posted By: topside

Re: Opinions on aftermarket shifters - 07/21/23 02:17 PM

The Cheetah, being gated, is easiest - basically one motion to change gears, and intuitive; I don't have to look at it when using them.
I've even had a buddy with a ratchet in his car get the hang of the Cheetah immediately, and he liked it.
Ideally, you could compare them all yourself, as you'll get different opinions, but I've used them on track and on the street with no issues.
Posted By: GY3

Re: Opinions on aftermarket shifters - 07/21/23 02:48 PM

It's all about personal preference.

I like the Hurst Quarter stick with the pistol grip. Never had a problem with this other than a burned cable recently (which was my fault).
Posted By: SNK-EYZ

Re: Opinions on aftermarket shifters - 07/21/23 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by topside
The Cheetah, being gated, is easiest - basically one motion to change gears, and intuitive; I don't have to look at it when using them.
I've even had a buddy with a ratchet in his car get the hang of the Cheetah immediately, and he liked it.
Ideally, you could compare them all yourself, as you'll get different opinions, but I've used them on track and on the street with no issues.

iagree
I put a turbo action Cheetah in the 69 Dart and love it.
You clearly know what gear you’re in without having to look at it.

It was replacing a ratchet shifter that you could never tell what gear you were in visually.

The Cheetah came from A&A transmissions and was a rear cable to the trans setup. That way the cable doesn’t go anywhere near the headers so it doesn’t get melted like all the front cable ones usually do.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Opinions on aftermarket shifters - 07/21/23 05:35 PM

I've had and used in my old race cars a lot of the popular 3 speed aftermarket (Hurst, B M, T.A, Fairbanks and Winters) shifters for Mopar 727 and two of the better Powerglide shifters in my last S/P car. I will buy and use the Turbo Action shifters for all my cars being converted to floor shifters up scope thumbs
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Opinions on aftermarket shifters - 07/21/23 08:09 PM

What ever cable shifter you use be sure you have a good engine ground. The shifter cable can act as a ground which melts tthem real fast. BTDT
Posted By: markz528

Re: Opinions on aftermarket shifters - 07/21/23 09:19 PM

Biggest issue for me is is the cable front or rear entry. I don’t ever want to use a shifter with a front entry entry. Rear entry only.
Posted By: GomangoCuda

Re: Opinions on aftermarket shifters - 07/21/23 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by markz528
Biggest issue for me is is the cable front or rear entry. I don’t ever want to use a shifter with a front entry entry. Rear entry only.

I agree.
Besides the Turboaction what other shifters are there for a 727 with a rear cable?

I have an old TurboAction shifter with front cable. Can it be changed to rear cable? Can you just turn the detent plate around and mount the shifter backwards. Is there a spring inside that would push the lever to the wrong side of the detent? I'll have to dig it out and look at it. It would also need a different cable bracket at the trans end. Available from TA?
Posted By: TJP

Re: Opinions on aftermarket shifters - 07/22/23 02:04 AM

myself I loved the Hurst Dual gate shifters as they were simple with no pull this, push that, scratch your but etc. Just put it in whatever gear you want and go. Manual shift, no problem. I have never understood the need for the ratsh-t shifters. If one is so excited they can't shift to the next gear without overshooting it maybe they shouldn't be in the car to begin with shruggy twocents
Posted By: Moparite

Re: Opinions on aftermarket shifters - 07/22/23 12:46 PM

I used a B&M star shifter and i liked it. For everyday use it acts like a normal shifter but on the occasion when you want to "get on it" you drop it down into "ratcheting mode" and just hit the shifter to go into the next gear. You don't have to look at the shifter to see what gear it's in.
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Opinions on aftermarket shifters - 07/22/23 03:24 PM

I have a Promatic 2 and a Cheetah. I know this isn't a popular opinion, but the Cheetah sucks.

That said, Quarterstick all day long.
Posted By: Diplomat360

Re: Opinions on aftermarket shifters - 07/22/23 10:28 PM

I like my B&M QuickSilver...but having melted the 5ft cable (the one supplied with the shifter) I am now going through the pains of installing the replacement, that being a 'Race' cable, but a 4ft one. Needless to say, for my ride it would appear that literally 4.5ft is the PERFECT length!!! lol

Anyways, to those who say: aim for the rear trans cable hookup - YUP - completely agree, I wish there was an easy way to convert the B&M stuff to that.
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Opinions on aftermarket shifters - 07/22/23 11:17 PM

The sloppiness of the Cheetah would make it an easy street car shifter….. and it’s an aged has been of a race shifter. Personally I really liked the Promatic 2 back in my street days. Just make sure to route the cable carefully and cover with firesleave.
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: Opinions on aftermarket shifters - 07/23/23 12:15 AM

I have A PPP in one of my cars with rear exit cable helps with header clearance issues.
Posted By: 2boltmain

Re: Opinions on aftermarket shifters - 07/23/23 01:42 PM

I wish I could have the machined billet aluminum pistol grip handle from the Hurst Quarter stick- but on a full ratchet shifter like the B&M Pro Ratchet.
Posted By: 1970GTX

Re: Opinions on aftermarket shifters - 07/23/23 05:21 PM

I personally love the looks of the quicksilver. Not sure about the ease of use because I've never personally used one.
Posted By: 340SIX

Re: Opinions on aftermarket shifters - 07/23/23 10:53 PM

I had great results with my Quick Silver for many years. But went Hurst because i needed reversed pattern and liked the billet pistol grip plus has a button for the line lock or NOS
Works great so far.
Posted By: Kiddart

Re: Opinions on aftermarket shifters - 07/24/23 05:06 PM

does anyone use the pistol grip handle on a older quarter stick? does the release lever go high enough.

a picture would be great. I want to change the hurst ball and go to the pistol grip for looks just wanting to know.
Posted By: 340SIX

Re: Opinions on aftermarket shifters - 07/24/23 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Kiddart
does anyone use the pistol grip handle on a older quarter stick? does the release lever go high enough.

a picture would be great. I want to change the hurst ball and go to the pistol grip for looks just wanting to know.

Attached picture DSCN0051.jpg
Posted By: DusterKid

Re: Opinions on aftermarket shifters - 07/24/23 06:59 PM

Used the Hurst Promatic for years in 2 of my race cars. They worked well and I liked them. After melting the cable in each of the cars I switched them to a Cheetah shifter. The promatic has a front entry to the trans and the reason the cable melted was due to breaking in a camshaft in a new motor and didn't think to have a fan blow air under the car to help keep the cable cool. Both cars had under chassis headers at the time, but the one car previously had fenderwell headers and never had an issue before. I personally prefer the rachet shifter vs the gate, but the rear entry of the Cheetah along with knowing which gear you're in, makes it a easy choice IMO. Wish more shifters were rear entry, but there's few and far between for a Mopar. Always wanted to try a PPP shifter, but that's out of my budget.
Posted By: 2boltmain

Re: Opinions on aftermarket shifters - 07/26/23 02:36 PM

For a street car either the B&M Quicksilver or Hurst Promatic. Actually of those two- The unit that weighs more would be my choice. IMO the heavier unit would denote thicker metal- at least in some components and thus higher quality.

Re: Opinions on aftermarket shifters - 07/26/23 09:45 PM

I figured I would throw a picture of mine in here.

Attached picture IMG_54301.jpg
Attached picture IMG_8673.jpg
Posted By: GY3

Re: Opinions on aftermarket shifters - 07/27/23 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by 6PKRTSE
I figured I would throw a picture of mine in here.

Every time I look at getting one, they are on intergalactic backorder!

I finally gave up hopes of getting one.

Re: Opinions on aftermarket shifters - 07/28/23 06:49 PM

Mmm, odd. He built mine and shipped it to me in a week. However, that was before the Covid/Biden administration debacle we live now.
© 2024 Moparts Forums