Moparts

Can you turn a snorkel aid cleaner into 340 unsilenced one?

Posted By: migsBIG

Can you turn a snorkel aid cleaner into 340 unsilenced one? - 07/17/23 01:58 AM

I have a couple old air cleaners circa 1970-73 and both are 4bbl bases, single snorkel and a duel snorkel missing the vacuum pods. I was wondering how hard would it to be to covert them into 1970-71 340 un-silenced air cleaner? I’m out of those and need one for a driver project for one of the club members, but they can’t afford buying a real one. Anyone make one or are the air cleaners too diffrent to do the conversion?

Attached picture IMG_1048.jpeg
Attached picture IMG_0517.jpeg
Attached picture IMG_8331.jpeg
Posted By: TB3CUDA

Re: Can you turn a snorkel aid cleaner into 340 unsilenced one? - 07/17/23 11:26 AM

had the same idea until someone pointed out it wont have the notch in the front for the ac compresser
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Can you turn a snorkel aid cleaner into 340 unsilenced one? - 07/17/23 01:05 PM

Flip the lid over

Re: Can you turn a snorkel aid cleaner into 340 unsilenced one? - 07/17/23 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by cudaman1969
Flip the lid over

shruggy

Re: Can you turn a snorkel aid cleaner into 340 unsilenced one? - 07/17/23 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by TB3CUDA
had the same idea until someone pointed out it wont have the notch in the front for the ac compressor

Yeah, that's true. not sure if any other mopar air cleaners have that notch. The guys on a budget so he could not care if it's 100% correct.
Posted By: Neil

Re: Can you turn a snorkel aid cleaner into 340 unsilenced one? - 07/17/23 04:33 PM

Also the orange 340 four barrel pie tin has been discontinued, which is the correct color for 70-71. If you find a nice used orange one expect to pay dearly for it. They still make red ones new, but not the orange ones, which is a head scratcher.

Last decent 70-71 air cleaner I saw on Ebay a few months ago was a BIN for $700 and no pie tin was included.. shock
Posted By: Bob Stinson

Re: Can you turn a snorkel aid cleaner into 340 unsilenced one? - 07/17/23 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Neil
They still make red ones new, but not the orange ones, which is a head scratcher.

I figured they aren't making any of them now, they just made too many of the red ones to begin with so they're not sold out yet.
Posted By: Ronnman

Re: Can you turn a snorkel aid cleaner into 340 unsilenced one? - 07/17/23 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by migsBIG
I have a couple old air cleaners circa 1970-73 and both are 4bbl bases, single snorkel and a duel snorkel missing the vacuum pods. I was wondering how hard would it to be to covert them into 1970-71 340 un-silenced air cleaner? I’m out of those and need one for a driver project for one of the club members, but they can’t afford buying a real one. Anyone make one or are the air cleaners too diffrent to do the conversion?

Drill holes around the base outside the filter diameter. This allows the top cover to set flush and the use of a pie tin if needed.

I took a different route and cut a spacer from 1/4” Masonite to fit under the filter. This provides a gap around the lid and looks real close to stock. No one has asked me about it!
Ron
Posted By: BDW

Re: Can you turn a snorkel aid cleaner into 340 unsilenced one? - 07/17/23 06:04 PM

Why not just cut off the snorkel flush and clean up the opening?
Not perfect, but sounds like it would do what you want.

Re: Can you turn a snorkel aid cleaner into 340 unsilenced one? - 07/17/23 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by BDW

That's what I'm trying to figure out. I was hoping someone had experience doing it, maybe some pics they could share with everyone.
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Can you turn a snorkel aid cleaner into 340 unsilenced one? - 07/17/23 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by cudaman1969
Flip the lid over

shruggy

When flipped the filter is exposed so it becomes unsilenced.
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: Can you turn a snorkel aid cleaner into 340 unsilenced one? - 07/18/23 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by BDW

That's what I'm trying to figure out. I was hoping someone had experience doing it, maybe some pics they could share with everyone.
The base plate is different though. The unsilenced allows more air through the smaller base plate. Would look the same-ish but would not let the additional air as the unsilenced does.

Re: Can you turn a snorkel aid cleaner into 340 unsilenced one? - 07/18/23 12:33 AM

There are just base plates on ebay $50 including shipping so not really cheap

https://www.ebay.com/itm/295670779456?

Attached picture s-l1600 (5).jpg

Re: Can you turn a snorkel aid cleaner into 340 unsilenced one? - 07/18/23 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by Bob Stinson
They still make red ones new, but not the orange ones, which is a head scratcher.

I figured they aren't making any of them now, they just made too many of the red ones to begin with so they're not sold out yet.

You may be right as some of the other types of repo pie tins are also not available any longer either.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Can you turn a snorkel aid cleaner into 340 unsilenced one? - 07/18/23 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by larrymopar360
Originally Posted by BDW

The base plate is different though. The unsilenced allows more air through the smaller base plate. Would look the same-ish but would not let the additional air as the unsilenced does.

you are thinking of the pre 1970 , the 70/71 doesn't have the type of base you linked in your other post , it's similar to the dual snorkel type without snorkels.
Posted By: BDW

Re: Can you turn a snorkel aid cleaner into 340 unsilenced one? - 07/18/23 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by JohnRR
Originally Posted by BDW

you are thinking of the pre 1970 , the 70/71 doesn't have the type of base you linked in your other post , it's similar to the dual snorkel type without snorkels.

Was wondering about that, I sold 1 of these about 5yrs ago for $250, I guess like everything else prices have gone up.
It was just a normal closed housing without the snorkles, nothing "open" about it.

Re: Can you turn a snorkel aid cleaner into 340 unsilenced one? - 07/18/23 03:34 PM

There's also these repros which are only $165 with shipping. Might be worth a try. O/P can probably sell the orange dual snorkel for this much.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/314630070684?

Attached picture s-l1600 (1).jpg

Re: Can you turn a snorkel aid cleaner into 340 unsilenced one? - 07/18/23 04:51 PM

There's also these repros which are only $165 with shipping. Might be worth a try. O/P can probably sell the orange dual snorkel for this much.

The last snorkel cleaners around here that were complete sold for $500, and the lid was rusty with holes. I was thinking the black air cleaner as clearance for a/c unit and I could use the vacuum pod on it to fix the orange one. I'm probably just going to give it to the guy and he can modify the piece himself.

Thanks for the info everyone. up

Re: Can you turn a snorkel aid cleaner into 340 unsilenced one? - 07/18/23 07:11 PM

Still not the air cleaner he is asking about , this is it .

https://musclecaraircleaners.com/products/1970-71-340-mopar-unsilenced-air-cleaner1

Re: Can you turn a snorkel aid cleaner into 340 unsilenced one? - 07/30/23 08:22 PM

realcrazy realcrazy realcrazy

https://www.ebay.com/itm/166239707491

Re: Can you turn a snorkel aid cleaner into 340 unsilenced one? - 07/31/23 01:35 PM

haha

At least he is taking offers laugh2

Re: Can you turn a snorkel aid cleaner into 340 unsilenced one? - 07/31/23 04:50 PM

340 parts are the new 426 HEMI parts in 2023. Such a deal.
Posted By: JDMopar

Re: Can you turn a snorkel aid cleaner into 340 unsilenced one? - 08/02/23 05:05 PM

From what I hear from major Mopar resto parts suppliers, the orange 340 pie tins are in the works to be repopped. I have an idea of how to make stock appearing 70-71 340 air cleaners, but just haven't had time to see it through. I retired a few months ago and need to get on it soon. When the orange pie tins appear, I will start. If it works like I think it will, I am going to call them 340 air cloners....but incorporate hidden differences so the scammers among us can't flip them as originals.
© 2024 Moparts Forums