Moparts

Factory mini starter

Posted By: chargers777

Factory mini starter - 06/13/23 10:00 PM

What factory mini starter fits best .1978 d150 440 with headers.
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: Factory mini starter - 06/13/23 11:18 PM

94-99 Dakota starter will work in a 440
Posted By: earlymopar

Re: Factory mini starter - 06/14/23 11:47 AM

Get a starter for a 2005-2008 Dodge Ram with a 5.7 and a MANUAL transmission, the automatic starter for this application is totally different and will not fit.

The manual transmission starter is a coaxial (planetary) gear reduction design, not offset like the Chrysler and Nippondenso gear reduction starters (the difference is shown below). That's why the motor housing is directly in line with the starter drive axis, making the whole starter more "compact".

Be sure and get a genuine starter with a Chrysler, Denso, or Nippondenso nameplate on it.

Attached picture Picture1.png
Posted By: DGS

Re: Factory mini starter - 06/14/23 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by earlymopar
Get a starter for a 2005-2008 Dodge Ram with a 5.7 and a MANUAL transmission, the automatic starter for this application is totally different and will not fit.

The manual transmission starter is a coaxial (planetary) gear reduction design, not offset like the Chrysler and Nippondenso gear reduction starters (the difference is shown below). That's why the motor housing is directly in line with the starter drive axis, making the whole starter more "compact".

Be sure and get a genuine starter with a Chrysler, Denso, or Nippondenso nameplate on it.

The 2005+ Hemi starter does NOT work on a 440! Small block yes iirc but on a BB the solenoid hits the block!
Posted By: moparx

Re: Factory mini starter - 06/14/23 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by DGS

The 2005+ Hemi starter does NOT work on a 440! Small block yes iirc but on a BB the solenoid hits the block!

well that's something to know !
i was ready to pull the plug for two of those for my projects !
so it's still the dakota starter then, with TTI 2"/2 1/8" /3 1/2" collector headers ?
beer

Re: Factory mini starter - 06/14/23 07:05 PM

The Dakota starters fit 6 cyl, 8 cylinders all.
Posted By: 375inStroke

Re: Factory mini starter - 06/14/23 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by DGS

Can confirm. When I first saw the starter, I thought too good to be true. Well, it was.

Re: Factory mini starter - 06/14/23 09:19 PM

If you can get dimensions on the factory Dak starter you'll see it's basically a mini at much lower cost
Posted By: earlymopar

Re: Factory mini starter - 06/15/23 11:29 AM

Sorry about this. In trying to provide a quick answer, I completely missed that this is a big block application.

Posted By: DGS

Re: Factory mini starter - 06/19/23 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by moparx
Originally Posted by DGS

well that's something to know !
i was ready to pull the plug for two of those for my projects !
so it's still the dakota starter then, with TTI 2"/2 1/8" /3 1/2" collector headers ?
beer

Or you can do this (some fab work involved though): https://board.moparts.org/ubbthread...e-mini-starter-question.html#Post3101507

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: SattyNoCar

Re: Factory mini starter - 06/19/23 03:22 PM

I ran a mini starter in my wagon for years that I pulled out of a '92 van. Only issue was this style had an adaptor for the wires that needed to be removed (easy). My wagon had a '77 440 with HP manifolds.

As much as I missed the gear reduction whine, it was really nice having to basically just bump the starter to get it to start.
Posted By: chargers777

Re: Factory mini starter - 06/20/23 04:14 AM

Went with a 92 Dakota starter. Worked perfectly after removing the wiring adapter.
Posted By: dvw

Re: Factory mini starter - 06/20/23 11:39 AM

Ocasionally the Dakota starter will interfere with the radius portion of the block. Double check to make sure it sets flat on the trans face. They work great. They'll start any engine. My racecar is a 15-1 580" with locked out 35 degrees of timing. Been in the car 10 years. I've Had them in other hot rods for well over 20 years. Zero failures.
Doug
© 2024 Moparts Forums