Moparts

Overheating Question

Posted By: WS68SSC

Overheating Question - 06/02/23 10:32 AM

While driving my car down the road, the water temperature rises between 220-235. However when I stop it lowers to 200.....
I have an aluminum radiator with 50/50 mix and an electric fan located between the radiator and the motor (pull fan). 185 thermostat

Where should I start?
Posted By: Andrewh

Re: Overheating Question - 06/02/23 11:19 AM

it sounds like your fan isn't pulling enough air at speed and becomes a block.
you can test this by turning off the fan while at speed, and see if the temp stays low.
if it still goes up then it is a flow restriction, which you would need to investigate, stuff like a collapsing hose at speed. you could stuff it into neutral at highway speed and see if it goes down or put a go pro into the engine compartment and watch the lower rad hose.
fan solution would be to get a better fan, or cut vent slats into any kind of shroud you have, flaps really that only open at speed,.
Posted By: tboomer

Re: Overheating Question - 06/02/23 12:23 PM

Are you running a relay for the fan? And as mentioned how about the shroud? work
Posted By: dragon slayer

Re: Overheating Question - 06/02/23 01:06 PM

More info on the motor and water pump and pulley ratio.
Posted By: TJP

Re: Overheating Question - 06/02/23 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by dragon slayer
More info on the motor and water pump and pulley ratio.

As well as,
is this a new occurrence
New motor,
new radiator,
new car (to you)
initial and total timing

There are many things that can cause your condition so a bit more overall information is needed to help beer
Posted By: bonefish

Re: Overheating Question - 06/02/23 03:49 PM

a pic of your setup would help
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Overheating Question - 06/02/23 04:04 PM

Basic information
What car?
What engine?
What fan?
What's stock or not?

Geez, pulling teeth is easier.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Overheating Question - 06/02/23 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by WS68SSC
While driving my car down the road, the water temperature rises between 220-235. However when I stop it lowers to 200.....
I have an aluminum radiator with 50/50 mix and an electric fan located between the radiator and the motor (pull fan). 185 thermostat

Where should I start?

You have an electric fan between the rad and the engine mounted fan ???

WHY ????
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Overheating Question - 06/02/23 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by JohnRR

Where should I start?

WHY ????

Good catch there, missed that myself

Re: Overheating Question - 06/03/23 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by Sniper

Where should I start?

WHY ????

Good catch there, missed that myself

me as well, Answer: to cause overheating issues whistling twocents

Re: Overheating Question - 06/03/23 07:05 AM

no manual fan. just an electric one

Re: Overheating Question - 06/03/23 09:34 AM

Well, I think this was the issue with the overheating....glad I caught it early

Attached picture 20230602_162753.jpg

Re: Overheating Question - 06/03/23 09:45 AM

Where should I start?

WHY ????

It doesn't have a manual fan. Just an electric one

Attached picture Screenshot_20230603_044429_Gallery.jpg
Posted By: Moparite

Re: Overheating Question - 06/03/23 12:26 PM

I see a lot of the radiator that doesn't have a shroud, Fan only pulls air threw a part of the radiator and not the whole thing!
Posted By: GomangoCuda

Re: Overheating Question - 06/03/23 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Moparite
I see a lot of the radiator that doesn't have a shroud, Fan only pulls air threw a part of the radiator and not the whole thing!

His temp goes up going down the road and comes back down at idle. A shroud likely won't help that. I would however like to see a better picture of the fan. It may be restricting air flow at speed. Also radiator construction details would help. 4 rows of 1/2 or 5/8" tubes doesn't work as well as 2 rows of 1 or 1 1/4” tubes. Fin density is also relevant.
Posted By: GomangoCuda

Re: Overheating Question - 06/03/23 02:47 PM

Good catch on the rocker arm. Replace them all with better stuff.
But I doubt that caused the overheating problem.

I just looked at that rocker pic again. Did you clean it up or is it really as dry as it looks? Sure looks like no oil.

Re: Overheating Question - 06/03/23 06:37 PM

Where should I start?

WHY ????

It doesn't have a manual fan. Just an electric one

Once you get it running again, if the temp problem remains, try sealing ALL the openings around the radiator including the hood to radiator support.

We can then go back to questions on the combination previously asked to try and help. beer
Posted By: moparx

Re: Overheating Question - 06/03/23 06:48 PM

a good hood to core support seal is a must to force all air, whether moving or not, through the radiator.
beer
© 2024 Moparts Forums