Moparts

MP Distributor Pickup gap

Posted By: 68Fastback

MP Distributor Pickup gap - 04/21/09 06:27 PM

What is the gap for the pickup on the MP electronic distributor. Never set one before anything to look out for.
Posted By: OzHemi

Re: MP Distributor Pickup gap - 04/21/09 06:30 PM

.008 with a non metallic feeler gauge
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: MP Distributor Pickup gap - 04/21/09 07:03 PM

Quote:

anything to look out for.

with a vac pump pull the vac can thru its travel & check the clearances & I'd set it at .004-.006 at the tightest spot(& different reluctor teeth are farther out) but just to get it going as he said .006"-.008 & you're set.

Re: MP Distributor Pickup gap - 04/21/09 07:07 PM

Thanks, I am hunting trying to find a miss and gonna check that then move over to the carb.
Posted By: 6T6Cuda

Re: MP Distributor Pickup gap - 04/21/09 07:33 PM

0.008 happens to be the thickness of a beer can folded in 1/2 (2x the sheet thickness)

and it is non magnetic...
Posted By: Crizila

Re: MP Distributor Pickup gap - 04/21/09 07:59 PM

Quote:

0.008 happens to be the thickness of a beer can folded in 1/2 (2x the sheet thickness)

I'm impressed!

Re: MP Distributor Pickup gap - 04/21/09 10:02 PM

Me two and you might check your rotor phasing at the offending rpm EDIT since you are tracking down a miss rather than just needing that spec, more details on what you have, when did it start, what's been changed what rpm, under load or no load. I'd stay on the ign. plugs/wires/timing/rotor phasing

Re: MP Distributor Pickup gap - 04/21/09 10:28 PM

Quote:

Thanks, I am hunting trying to find a miss and gonna check that then move over to the carb.

You try pulling a wire off each plug, one at a time...see if you have a weak cylinder, bad plug, etc as well ?

Re: MP Distributor Pickup gap - 04/21/09 10:49 PM

It starts just off idle, more of a stumble then a costant miss, changed the plugs which looked fine, the wires, rotor, the cap looks fine so left it alone. It is a late 360 with an early timing cover so have to set timing kinda by ear. The carb has/had those clear site plugs, on the primary it was weeping fuel. Turns out half of the threaded part was gone so took the bowl and metering block out, could not find the missing piece in the jets or the fuel I drained. Put back together and here I am gonna check the distributor, I do have a 408 on the stand so I can borrow the distributor off that and carb too. Love working in this heat too. Thanks for the help suggestions having a extra set of ears helps.

Re: MP Distributor Pickup gap - 04/21/09 10:54 PM

I've got a feeler gauge if you need it

(Even have a spare 750dp )

And at least it is cooler today...I was working on the car earlier and didn't even need the a/c on in the garage

Re: MP Distributor Pickup gap - 04/21/09 11:56 PM

I got a few extra things from the fastback sitting, not sure on the feeler guage though or the A/C in the garage. Next thing you know you will have a cooler with beer in yours.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: MP Distributor Pickup gap - 04/22/09 12:00 AM

The gap can be bigger then the .008 listed. When the gap is too big the timing will jump around as you view the marks with your timing light. I have seen many where loose timing chain etc was suspected but tighten that gap up and bingo--steady as a rock!

Re: MP Distributor Pickup gap - 04/22/09 12:00 AM

Quote:

I got a few extra things from the fastback sitting, not sure on the feeler guage though or the A/C in the garage. Next thing you know you will have a cooler with beer in yours.

Beer and Dr.Pepper in the garage fridge actually

Makes it nicer building cars
Posted By: Kudakidd

Re: MP Distributor Pickup gap - 04/22/09 12:03 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I'm impressed!

Reminds me of using a match book cover (approx. 018") to set the points in an emergency. Yeah, I'm that old.
Posted By: aarcuda

Re: MP Distributor Pickup gap - 04/22/09 01:33 AM

Quote:

The gap can be bigger then the .008 listed. When the gap is too big the timing will jump around as you view the marks with your timing light. I have seen many where loose timing chain etc was suspected but tighten that gap up and bingo--steady as a rock!

makes sence. good info to remember too

Re: MP Distributor Pickup gap - 04/22/09 06:20 AM

Quote:

I've got a feeler gauge if you need it

(Even have a spare 750dp )

And at least it is cooler today...I was working on the car earlier and didn't even need the a/c on in the garage

Hey Oz thank you for the offer I have brass feelers that start at .006. Will let you know about the carb. First I gotta get a new green bearing since I messed one up on the car, always had a habit when changing gears to rap on the axles to seat them, never had greens before so when I swapped gears out sunday I did my thing and messed one up. Guess I will shout out to Dr Diff.

Re: MP Distributor Pickup gap - 04/22/09 06:30 AM

No prob And sure Cass will be able to hook you up with that bearing too..

Re: MP Distributor Pickup gap - 04/22/09 12:52 PM

Can you borrow a light & see where your timing is
Posted By: Crizila

Re: MP Distributor Pickup gap - 04/22/09 01:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I'm impressed!

Reminds me of using a match book cover (approx. 018") to set the points in an emergency. Yeah, I'm that old.

So, how did you like those "flag man" starts??
Posted By: Kudakidd

Re: MP Distributor Pickup gap - 04/22/09 02:06 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I'm impressed!

So, how did you like those "flag man" starts??

Ouch!

Re: MP Distributor Pickup gap - 04/22/09 03:34 PM

Quote:

Can you borrow a light & see where your timing is

He mentioned that it has a miss-matched balancer and timing cover, so would think a light on it wouldn't help ?

Re: MP Distributor Pickup gap - 04/22/09 03:42 PM

Quote:

so would think a light on it wouldn't help ?

As is no but I was assuming that he would get that taken care of & to know where his timing is at is crucial

Re: MP Distributor Pickup gap - 04/22/09 03:48 PM

Quote:

Quote:

so would think a light on it wouldn't help ?

As is no but I was assuming that he would get that taken care of & to know where his timing is at is crucial

It sure would make it handy to check the timing, yep.

Even making a TDC mark on the other side, then using a dial back timing light would help (did that once before myself)

Re: MP Distributor Pickup gap - 04/22/09 03:57 PM

I check every eng I work with w a TDC stop tool to see if the factory marks are spot on & though I've never seen one more than 1 degree off I dont assume anything(almost ).

Re: MP Distributor Pickup gap - 04/22/09 06:08 PM

I do have an adjustable timing light and planned on finding TDC and making a new mark. Honestly in the time I have had this car never had to fiddle with much so it threw me off for a minute till I realized the cover deal. I don't have a TDC stop so will do the best I can. On the distributor the gap was from .014 to .012 so I adjusted that to .006 since I did not have a .008. I checked my other distributor for the Fastback and adjusted that one too.

Robert tell me about rotor phasing please.

Re: MP Distributor Pickup gap - 04/22/09 07:26 PM

Rotor phasing: If the rotor tip gets far enough away from it's terminal on the underside of the dist cap the spark wont make it everytime & it'll effect a miss. a combination of initial timing/mech adv/vac adv and or a slight machining error in any one of these, cap/rotor/adv plate/reluctor can cause a stackup of tolerances. I drill a 3/8" hole in my dist cap in the flat top part in between the center terminal & the #1 terminal so that I can see the rotor & I freeze it w my timing light at the offending rpm & see how close the rotor metal blade is pointing to the center of the #1 plug terminal. Or adv and retard your initial 5 to 10 degrees from where it is now & see if that affects the miss as one of those 2 actions(adv or retard) will put the rotor tip closer to the bottom of the dist cap terminal.

Re: MP Distributor Pickup gap - 04/24/09 05:55 AM

What do you mean freeze it ?

Re: MP Distributor Pickup gap - 04/24/09 06:07 AM

Quote:

What do you mean freeze it ?

The timing light to freeze it in place, like you do with the timing mark on the balancer I assume he means. (to see what it lines up with..)

Either that, or it's some sort of lingo

Re: MP Distributor Pickup gap - 04/24/09 10:50 PM

Oh ok that makes sense, thanks. I might have an old cap that I dont mind drilling a hole in to try.

Re: MP Distributor Pickup gap - 04/24/09 10:59 PM

Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: MP Distributor Pickup gap - 04/24/09 11:20 PM

Quote:

Rotor phasing: If the rotor tip gets far enough away from it's terminal on the underside of the dist cap the spark wont make it everytime & it'll effect a miss. a combination of initial timing/mech adv/vac adv and or a slight machining error in any one of these, cap/rotor/adv plate/reluctor can cause a stackup of tolerances. I drill a 3/8" hole in my dist cap in the flat top part in between the center terminal & the #1 terminal so that I can see the rotor & I freeze it w my timing light at the offending rpm & see how close the rotor metal blade is pointing to the center of the #1 plug terminal. Or adv and retard your initial 5 to 10 degrees from where it is now & see if that affects the miss as one of those 2 actions(adv or retard) will put the rotor tip closer to the bottom of the dist cap terminal.

Re: MP Distributor Pickup gap - 04/24/09 11:37 PM

Quote:

Quote:

That makes your car run faster too..it lets all the electro-molecules air out and not bunch up in the distributor, which slows you down.

Re: MP Distributor Pickup gap - 04/25/09 03:35 AM

I have the vented caps already, but still looking for the old cap. Bummed wanted to cruise to the fling with it.

Re: MP Distributor Pickup gap - 04/25/09 03:43 AM

I might have an old cap around if you want one to cut up... (if I haven't thrown them out)

Re: MP Distributor Pickup gap - 04/25/09 03:43 AM

you might change your initial 10 degrees both ways from where it is now & see if that affects the miss or plugging the vac adv & trying it which would change it in one direction but it's be real fast/easy to do. & your plugs/wires ARE good?

Re: MP Distributor Pickup gap - 04/25/09 08:56 PM

I think I got it solved, can't say for sure since I need to change out a green bearing before I can drive it, but I still plan on drilling a cap to see where its at and finding a mark I can use to time correctly. I put a different cap on and it is idling better. Cannot see anything wrong with the cap but I got shocked with my hand even after checking it running in the garage with no lights on so who knows. Missed the fling cause of it.

Re: MP Distributor Pickup gap - 05/01/09 06:10 AM

I wanna thank everyone for their help, the miss/stumble is gone. This weekend I am gonna work on the rotor phasing and timing. So again thanks for all the help I appreciate it.
Posted By: REDNICK

Re: MP Distributor Pickup gap - 05/01/09 11:33 AM

If its rotor phasing, I see this guy was selling "improved" rotors to fix the problem.
None listed currently, but you could only ask...

Nick

http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/rehrenberg/
Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: MP Distributor Pickup gap - 05/01/09 03:43 PM

phasing is easy like check the rotation direction arrows on reluctor and set the pin guide to the dist shaft correctly.

Note about the gap... CHECK IT ALSO WITH VACUUM in PULLING position. Since ratious center of pick up and center of disttributor are TOTALLY DIFFERENT, then the circuference set by pick up never will meet the reluctor circunference. If you set the gap too close on rest positiomn, when vacuum is pulling in, the pick up will BITE THE RELUCTOR.

In my experience ( and I have tried everything bending here and there, milling here and there ) try to set the gap between 9-10 hundreds on rest position, and you'll get between 7-8 hundreds on vaccuum pulling position.

I definitelly set it on 9 to get 7

Re: MP Distributor Pickup gap - 05/01/09 09:33 PM

Quote:

If its rotor phasing, I see this guy was selling "improved" rotors to fix the problem.
None listed currently, but you could only ask...

Nick

http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/rehrenberg/

I have brought other stuff from him before, good guy.
© 2024 Moparts Forums