Moparts

E-Body Brake Booster/Master Cylinder Replacement

Posted By: RobG

E-Body Brake Booster/Master Cylinder Replacement - 05/12/23 04:58 PM

My brakes system is soft. I want to replace these items, but on a budget. I am not worries about number matching parts - I like to drive my car all the time.

What would you recommend as a good replacement? Should I just order rebuilt components from my local auto parts store or is there a good specialty shop that won't break the bank?
Posted By: Greentween

Re: E-Body Brake Booster/Master Cylinder Replacement - 05/12/23 08:22 PM

Maybe switch to 2 bolt aluminum master cyl at same time?

Cardone 54-73870
Dorman M99294

But you will need to mention if you have drum or disk setup now.
Posted By: BDW

Re: E-Body Brake Booster/Master Cylinder Replacement - 05/12/23 08:46 PM

When I upgraded to the factory 11.75 discs, I bought the rotors and calipers from Advanced Auto.
They have lifetime warranty on the calipers, that was 15yrs ago, they replaced 1 of the calipers 7 years ago, no issue.
RockAuto is nice, but for stuff like this, I'd go local.

Re: E-Body Brake Booster/Master Cylinder Replacement - 05/13/23 01:35 AM

Disc/Drum
Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: E-Body Brake Booster/Master Cylinder Replacement - 05/13/23 02:19 AM

You don't say what exactly is wrong with them, or what you have, maybe you should start there so that people can give educated advice.
Posted By: 340SIX

Re: E-Body Brake Booster/Master Cylinder Replacement - 05/13/23 07:11 AM

Start with old school maintenance routine what type fluid? DOT 5 OVER time will do that. It is the worse as absorbs moisture.
But all fluid can. So...
Last was last time brakes were treated to a good bleeding? Manually adjust by you in rear if auto ones have not been doi g a good job.
If calipers are no leak? Sticky ? If no to both you could still just get kits to do a look see. Clean, look see, and hone, clean, assemble.
Some new parts are trash. I try to always refresh the ones I have now. (Ie) May be better and just do the needed maintenance or quick rebuild.
Hey ya did it back when nothing was available, or to poor to get new! And with new stuff being junk to me it's the same [i][/i]as none offered. Maybe worse as you don't want to take better parts off than you are putting on.
I rebuilt my calipers, but found NOS wheel cylinders, old stock master cylinder kit, and has been a long time but new rubber for booster and tested check valve.
Could check and if need be Booster Dewy (so?)
I am kinda an idiot but bought extra drums and rotors when i saw things getting out sourced. But you can find them good USA Raybestos, Bendix, etc good to get just to have and pads, shoes they don't eat food they just sit and wait.

Re: E-Body Brake Booster/Master Cylinder Replacement - 05/13/23 11:29 AM

Hello gents - here is more information that you requested:

WHen i push the brake pedal, I am getting a "wooosh" sound - as if the brake booster is leaking. I am also seeing a leak in the master cylinder seals. The pedal is going almost all the way down when the car stops.

I can bleed the brakes and flush the system - that hasn't been done in 20 years, but I believe the booster is the main issue on the front disc/rear drum setup on mu Cuda. As hard as I try, I cannot get the brakes to lock-up..
Posted By: moparx

Re: E-Body Brake Booster/Master Cylinder Replacement - 05/13/23 06:10 PM

well, the "woooosh" sound sure "sounds" [biggrin] like the booster diaphragm is bad, and that also would explain why you can "put both feet on the brake pedal and stand up, trying to pull the steering wheel off", and the car doesn't stop as it should.
beer
Posted By: Greentween

Re: E-Body Brake Booster/Master Cylinder Replacement - 05/14/23 02:37 PM

The woosh sound is because there is packing in the input side of the booster that acts a a muffler. It is worn out or missing. Got to pull the booster to replace it so might as well just replace the booster.

Re: E-Body Brake Booster/Master Cylinder Rplacement - 05/15/23 11:42 AM

So who has a good booster at a reasonable price? What remanufactured units do you think are good?
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: E-Body Brake Booster/Master Cylinder Replacement - 05/15/23 01:42 PM

I would take the time to figure out what part is not working properly before starting to replace any parts on your car,, fix it first wrench scope twocents
Air in one wheel cylinder will make the brake pedal soft work scope
Posted By: LimelightCuda

Re: E-Body Brake Booster/Master Cylinder Replacement - 05/28/23 11:47 PM

If it were me I would rebuild your the booster you have rather than buying one from a local auto parts store. I believe these guys can rebuild it.
(IF you do determine it is the booster.)

https://www.powerbrakebooster.com/

I haven't had good luck with new after market parts but that is just my experience.
© 2024 Moparts Forums