Moparts

Need a shop to reface rocker arms

Posted By: DrCharles

Need a shop to reface rocker arms - 05/08/23 05:34 PM

Caution: Non-Mopar parts involved whistle

I'm rebuilding a Ford FE (390) and the rocker arm tips are badly worn. New rockers are rather expensive nowadays.

Can anyone recommend a machine shop that can reface them? As usual, nobody 'round here does, so it's time to mail them out shruggy
What might I expect to pay for refacing all 16 rockers?

thanks for any info.
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: Need a shop to reface rocker arms - 05/08/23 05:57 PM

Check here. RAS
Posted By: metallicareload

Re: Need a shop to reface rocker arms - 05/08/23 06:06 PM

iagree
They refaced and bushed a set of Crane ductile irons for me, worked good until I switched to roller rockers
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Need a shop to reface rocker arms - 05/08/23 07:01 PM

I had a couple sets off of old hemis. They weren't severely worn but needed a "clean-up". I mounted a medium grit flap wheel in my drill press and did all the valve contact surfaces. A friend who owns a machine shop said they used to grind them years ago and said I had nothing to worry about doing them my way. Give it a shot. The material is pretty hard so the flap wheels conforms to the shape - unlike a grind stone.

Attached picture IMG_4390.JPG
Attached picture IMG_4396.JPG
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Need a shop to reface rocker arms - 05/08/23 07:14 PM

I used RAS when I had my Iskys done but you might want to check around at farm tractor repair shops. When I was in the equipment repair business we used to surface our rockers in house.

Gus beer

Re: Need a shop to reface rocker arms - 05/09/23 12:39 AM

Thanks for the tips. RAS appears to be RAU (Unlimited) now wink
I've sent some emails to several shops, too late to call today but I'll see if I get any replies.

At least one pad, possibly another, has such a deep valve-tip-sized hole in it that it will need some weld material, though. Can't regrind that with a flap wheel and drill press, although I'm tempted to try it on the other less worn rockers...

The cam is a little Crane 260-2H (204/216@.050, .501/.533 with the stock 1.73 rocker ratio) since the engine is going in a '65 dually truck. I wonder if Chinesium rockers would hold up whistling That's under $200 for two complete assemblies, probably less than the cost of rocker rework! work

Re: Need a shop to reface rocker arms - 05/09/23 12:57 AM

RAU repaired an Isky rocker for me last summer. Had to remove and replace one of the hardened tips. Service was excellent. Price was reasonable.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Need a shop to reface rocker arms - 05/09/23 01:37 AM

i had several bad experiences with both RAS and the new guys at RAU, not good down
Let the buyers be warned up twocents
Posted By: rickseeman

Re: Need a shop to reface rocker arms - 05/09/23 01:08 PM

It's been 45 years since I've done it but there is an attachment on the end of a Kwik-Way valve grinder for that. I think it's on all of them. Worked fine. The ones I did were 426 Hemi, but I don't think that matters.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Need a shop to reface rocker arms - 05/09/23 02:22 PM

There's a member here, screen name is HemiDavey. he rebuilds hemi rockers and resurfaces them.
Here's his ad from the hemi parts for sale section here in the classifieds...

Please see my post from 4-5-23 for info on my Hemi Rocker restoration.
Here is a real nice set
Aluminum stands
New Stanke shafts with removable plugs
New grade 5 bolts
Excellent original rocker arms, standard ratio, resurfaced
New springs
All parts are carefully inspected, washed and assembled correctly. Oiled and bagged for install on your engine. $2300 Sold

Please contact me by phone or text, I can text more photos to you
7 three 4 - 2 three 1- 0 seven 0 five
Thanks, Dave

Dave's Hot Rod Garage (Registered repair facility in State Of Michigan)
3851 Argentine
Howell, Mi 48855

Re: Need a shop to reface rocker arms - 05/09/23 02:56 PM

NOTE that the OP is working on a FORD. As such he is enquiring about the process - not looking for reconditioned Mopar pieces !!
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Need a shop to reface rocker arms - 05/09/23 03:42 PM

Note that the member, whose info I shared, resurfaces rocker arms. If he can resurface hemi rockers, he likely can resurface the ford pieces the OP is working with. I only posted his for sale ad so his contact info would be shown.

Re: Need a shop to reface rocker arms - 05/09/23 05:20 PM

Relax everyone, it's all good beer

RAU says they can do them for $7 each, or will sell me a complete assembled set for $195. I bet those are the same Chinese ones I can get on Amazon for the same price... I think I'll have them regrind my existing ones. I have more faith in the old iron than modern possibly melted coat hangers...
Posted By: mr_340

Re: Need a shop to reface rocker arms - 05/09/23 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by DrCharles
I have more faith in the old iron than modern possibly melted coat hangers...

Melted down coat hangars would be the high end steel in China. They save those for rods and cranks and call it 4340 (throw in an old chrome bumper in the melt).
Posted By: moparx

Re: Need a shop to reface rocker arms - 05/10/23 05:48 PM

chinesium seems to be the "gold standard" of material these days........... biggrin
beer
© 2024 Moparts Forums