Moparts

Rear Wheel Spacers

Posted By: JFChallenger440

Rear Wheel Spacers - 04/01/23 12:37 PM

Any of you guys use spacers on the rear wheels on your Mopars ?

One thing that always annoys me on B bodies is most wheel/tire combos look lost in the rear arches unless going for some big mickey thompson/Hoosier size

I like the look where the tires sit flush with the rear arch

Just thinking spacers might be a simpler cheaper option rather than wider drag tires

Any thoughts ?

Thanks
Posted By: topside

Re: Rear Wheel Spacers - 04/01/23 03:11 PM

I've run 1/4" on a low-10s drag car without issue, and a couple times on street cars, mostly for brake/wheel fitment.
Many years back, of all things, I had a Volvo 245 Turbo wagon; unbreakable drivetrain and very good brakes, and I liked to hurl it into corners.
Mounted a set of later FWD 850R wheels on it using spacers of about 1.250" and never had an issue.
That said, I considered it a disposable car and a worthwhile experiment.
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: Rear Wheel Spacers - 04/01/23 07:35 PM

I have a couple of buddies that have 1/4" to 1/2" spacers on 7 and 8 second quarter mile cars with no issues.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Rear Wheel Spacers - 04/01/23 07:57 PM

"bubbles" ?!?!?
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: Rear Wheel Spacers - 04/01/23 09:32 PM

Stupid auto correct.
Posted By: A12

Re: Rear Wheel Spacers - 04/01/23 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by JFChallenger440

One thing that always annoys me on B bodies is most wheel/tire combos look lost in the rear arches unless going for some big mickey thompson/Hoosier size

Just thinking spacers might be a simpler cheaper option rather than wider drag tires

Any thoughts ?

Thanks

What do you mean with "flush with the rear arch?"

Attached picture 20180329_191643A.jpg
Posted By: forphorty

Re: Rear Wheel Spacers - 04/02/23 12:17 AM

What I like about B bodies is that it gives me room for big fat tires. grin

Re: Rear Wheel Spacers - 04/02/23 11:17 AM

I mean where the edge of the tire is kind of in line with the wheel arch rather than “tucked in” like most seem to be

The old school drag racer look in other words
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Rear Wheel Spacers - 04/02/23 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by forphorty
What I like about B bodies is that it gives me room for big fat tires. grin

My 64 300 would take a bigger tire than any B body I ever saw, without mods. I ran N50's in the back with room to spare.
Posted By: A12

Re: Rear Wheel Spacers - 04/02/23 05:47 PM

I mean where the edge of the tire is kind of in line with the wheel arch rather than “tucked in” like most seem to be

Is this good or not good on my GTX? shruggy

Mike

Attached picture GTX 0001.png
Posted By: topside

Re: Rear Wheel Spacers - 04/02/23 06:23 PM

Nah, that's horrible; send that car to me, rather than suffer any more embarrassment laugh2 !

Seriously, that's fine - it's when the wheel/tire is like 2" inboard of the wheel opening where they look awkward.
Prime example of that is '59-'60 Chevys, commonly seen with the wheels & tires buried deep in the recess.
They seem to need 10" wide wheels...
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Rear Wheel Spacers - 04/02/23 06:44 PM

Any thoughts ?

Thanks

Yes, I always space the wheels out until tires are almost rubbing for photo shoots/show cars. For a daily driver I bring the tire in about an inch so it doesn't rub when cornering, going over bumps, etc. Here is how I had my Duster set up.

Attached picture DSC_4649 (Large).JPG
Posted By: Pool Fixer

Re: Rear Wheel Spacers - 04/03/23 12:34 PM

I don't know if it's all B bodies, but on my 68 charger, you can't get big meats too close to the outer edge due to the inexplicable hump that's part of the outer wheel house. On lowered cars, you don't have to get them that close to the whell lip. I was goingto go with spacers when I went with larger wheels but once I put the hotchkiss rear springs on, the lowered height looked much better so I skipped them.
Posted By: DusterKid

Re: Rear Wheel Spacers - 04/03/23 04:07 PM

I have wheel spacers on my 10 and 11 second race cars as well as my street car. If memory serves me right I only have 1 on each of them. Pretty much 1 side was good, but the other side tire was to close to the inner fenderwell and needed spaced out a tad. None of the spacers are more than 3/16-1/4".
Posted By: moparx

Re: Rear Wheel Spacers - 04/03/23 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by A12

Is this good or not good on my GTX? shruggy

Mike

i really like the look of your car ! up
are those the original style torq thrust wheels, and if so, what size front & rear ?
beer

Re: Rear Wheel Spacers - 04/29/23 08:18 PM

Just thought I’d resurrect this thread

So this is my 69 Coronet

I have 295/50/15’s on the rear and they don’t fill the arches as much as I’d like , I prefer them to go out a bit further more flush with the wheel arch , please see pics below

I’m thinking maybe going to a higher profile tire like a 275/60 and fitting a 1 inch spacer ?

Current wheels are 15 x 8 with 3.75” backspace but I may be changing to some 15 x 8 Centerlines I have which have a 5” backspace so I have plenty of room really

I have considered a 70 profile like a 255/70 but not sure how that would look

Or even a 295/65 but they are difficult to get here in the U.K.

If possible please can people post pics and details of their rear setup ?

Many thanks

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: TJP

Re: Rear Wheel Spacers - 04/30/23 01:45 AM

Get the proper offset wheels. Having witnessed a few exiting the vehicle, spacers are rolling the dice IMO twocents
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Rear Wheel Spacers - 04/30/23 06:08 AM

If your not running longer than stock rear wheel studs forget about using any width wheel spacers, front or rear tsk work twocents

Re: Rear Wheel Spacers - 04/30/23 06:19 PM

These are the type of spacers I mean

They bolt on to the hub and have their own studs built in

[Linked Image]
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Rear Wheel Spacers - 04/30/23 07:29 PM

[Linked Image]

Just asking for problems/disaster with those, proper hub centric SPACERS and QUALITY aftermarket studs are the only way to go, personally I wouldn't exceed no more than a 3/4" (19mm) thick spacer , safe recommendation is a minimum of 18 mm of thread exposed AFTER wheel is mounted, and use a torque wrench....

Attached picture hubcent.JPG
Attached picture studs.JPG
Posted By: GomangoCuda

Re: Rear Wheel Spacers - 05/01/23 12:00 AM

Dayclona, who makes those spacers? I like em.
Posted By: markz528

Re: Rear Wheel Spacers - 05/01/23 08:52 PM

[Linked Image]

These are not spacers - they are adapters. Huge difference.

Re: Rear Wheel Spacers - 05/01/23 08:59 PM

These are mine. I have no concerns. Lug centric

Attached picture Rear Axle 2.jpg

Re: Rear Wheel Spacers - 05/01/23 09:02 PM

How do you mean ?

They are bolting on to my 97 Mustang hub and then a Ford bolt pattern wheel is bolting on to them

What are they adapting ?

Re: Rear Wheel Spacers - 05/01/23 09:20 PM

In general, adapters usually change bolt pattern diameter but don't have to. An adapter always has 2 sets of studs - one to bolt adapter to axle and one for the wheel. Adapters are generally considered much weaker than a properly made spacer with correct studs. I would never run an adapter on anything other than a very mild stock vehicle.

Re: Rear Wheel Spacers - 05/01/23 09:29 PM

Ok thanks

What could happen then ?
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Rear Wheel Spacers - 05/02/23 06:51 AM

They fail going around a corner and you crash shruggy tsk luck

Re: Rear Wheel Spacers - 05/02/23 06:59 AM

Fail why ? As in fall off ? Surely if they’re tightened up ok they should be fine ?

I’d imagine the companies who make them have done safety tests etc otherwise they wouldn’t be allowed to sell such a product ?

Thanks
Posted By: Jerry

Re: Rear Wheel Spacers - 05/02/23 11:10 AM

thats a bad assumption. people sell alot of things until there is a problem. i think you can still buy cast aluminum wheel spacers. these can crack and fall apart, the billet are better but i'm sure no one has done the proper calculations and or testing. afterall we are talking about this because people want to take the easy way out and not spend the money on forged wheels with proper backspacing. that being said, there are tons of companies making aftermarket wheels so for 98% of the people who just want to look cool they will most likely be fine. however if you're racing i'd spend the money on the proper equipment
© 2024 Moparts Forums