Moparts

Thoughts on stripping the finish off rally wheel center caps

Posted By: AtomicDog

Thoughts on stripping the finish off rally wheel center caps - 03/21/23 08:47 PM

I have some old large bolt pattern acorn style rally wheel center caps (see photo) that I'd like to have stripped and powder coated. I tried bead blasting them and using EZ-Off oven cleaner to remove the existing coating off the center caps, but I'm not having any success. Any ideas as to what I can use to remove this tough, old-school coating/finish off these center caps?
CenterCap
Posted By: Neil

Re: Thoughts on stripping the finish off rally wheel center caps - 03/21/23 09:55 PM

If the stuff is really stuck on there then just feather out any chips or rough edges with some sandpaper and repaint right over it.

I would just stick with paint instead of powder coating if it were me.

Re: Thoughts on stripping the finish off rally wheel center caps - 03/21/23 11:49 PM

The finish (what's left of it) is on there really good. I really want to dissolve what's there, so that I can have the center caps powder coated, as I have a good source for a powder coater available to me. He just powder coated & UV coated my rally wheels and they came out excellent.
Posted By: PhillyRag

Re: Thoughts on stripping the finish off rally wheel center caps - 03/22/23 01:09 AM

Good Heat Gun & Scrapper.
Then some lacquer thinner to clean up.
You may want to scuff up any surfaces to be power coated.
Posted By: TJP

Re: Thoughts on stripping the finish off rally wheel center caps - 03/22/23 02:17 AM

Propane torch? don't get them too hot though,
What kind of media were you using and at what pressure? If you were closer I might give them a pass in my blast cabinet beer

Re: Thoughts on stripping the finish off rally wheel center caps - 03/22/23 03:17 AM

I used 80-100 grit glass beads in a large SkatBlast cabinet @ 90 PSI. Unfortunately, the glass bead blasting doesn't seem to strip those center caps very well

I also used a heat gun to heat up that coating, but it didn't seem to make a dent in it.
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: Thoughts on stripping the finish off rally wheel center caps - 03/22/23 04:23 AM

How about silica sand?

Re: Thoughts on stripping the finish off rally wheel center caps - 03/22/23 01:52 PM

Changing out the glass beads in my large cabinet is a real pain. I'd prefer to find some type of cost-effective chemical stripper that will make this job easy. Where's Walter White when you need him... stirthepot
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Thoughts on stripping the finish off rally wheel center caps - 03/22/23 03:57 PM

Been there done this, the striping, the taping off, etc, cheaper to buy new ones.....
Posted By: TJP

Re: Thoughts on stripping the finish off rally wheel center caps - 03/22/23 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
Changing out the glass beads in my large cabinet is a real pain. I'd prefer to find some type of cost-effective chemical stripper that will make this job easy. Where's Walter White when you need him... stirthepot

I use a more aggressive media that would likely take it off. Might look for someone nearby or talk to your powder coater. They usually blast things before coating. I'm assuming you're doing the entire cap including the chromed part(s)? beer

Re: Thoughts on stripping the finish off rally wheel center caps - 03/23/23 01:02 AM

I used 80-100 grit glass beads in a large SkatBlast cabinet @ 90 PSI. Unfortunately, the glass bead blasting doesn't seem to strip those center caps very well

I also used a heat gun to heat up that coating, but it didn't seem to make a dent in it.

100''s of degrees & didn't soften enough to scrap off?
If lacquer, won't blister like with some house paints.
Hope that's not what you were expecting.
It's paint, right?
Get a better heat gun then.

Re: Thoughts on stripping the finish off rally wheel center caps - 03/23/23 06:09 AM

I have a commercial grade heat gun. The heat didn't make it budge at all. Whatever this coating is that was used in the early-mid 70s, it's some tough stuff...
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: Thoughts on stripping the finish off rally wheel center caps - 03/23/23 01:34 PM

I didn't strip my paint off. I just filled in chips in the paint with a couple extra coats of paint sprayed on a piece of card board first and than dabbed on with a brush in the chips. Once all level. Just resprayed the entire center cap. Taped off as needed first. That was over 25 years ago and they still look good today.

Attached picture IMG950466.jpg
Posted By: DGS

Re: Thoughts on stripping the finish off rally wheel center caps - 03/23/23 02:01 PM

soak them in brake fluid..
Posted By: IMGTX

Re: Thoughts on stripping the finish off rally wheel center caps - 03/23/23 02:48 PM

You are sure you are trying to remove the paint and not the chrome right? shruggy

Mine were chrome with silver grey paint in the recessed area around the bolt holes. Outer trim and high point in the middle of the bolt holes were actually unpainted chrome.

I always had the bad luck of never getting the paint to stick. Sorry you are having the opposite problem.
Posted By: biggE

Re: Thoughts on stripping the finish off rally wheel center caps - 03/23/23 03:05 PM

I use crushed walnut shell in the bead blaster

Re: Thoughts on stripping the finish off rally wheel center caps - 03/23/23 07:08 PM

It's may likely some sort of chrome remnants. It's the toughest stuff I've ever had to try to remove..

Re: Thoughts on stripping the finish off rally wheel center caps - 03/24/23 01:03 AM

I have a commercial grade heat gun. The heat didn't make it budge at all. Whatever this coating is that was used in the early-mid 70s, it's some tough stuff...

Argent was nothing more then lacquer paint.
Posted By: 70X

Re: Thoughts on stripping the finish off rally wheel center caps - 03/28/23 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by PhillyRag

Argent was nothing more then lacquer paint.

Exactly. I think he is trying to get the chrome or whatever finish these are off, not the argent though.

Re: Thoughts on stripping the finish off rally wheel center caps - 03/28/23 12:56 PM

That's correct. I looked at the other center caps I have and there is a fair amount of chrome finish on them. It appears that is what I need to remove.

Has anyone used a muratic acid dip mix successfully to strip/remove the finish or should I be thinking of another way to chemically strip them?

Re: Thoughts on stripping the finish off rally wheel center caps - 03/29/23 02:27 AM

Tape off the good chrome sections. Blast those center areas with a med media. Not to remove the chrome remnants, but to ruff the area for finish coating.
Hit the chrome to hard & it will tend to lift or flake. High spots can be ground down.
© 2024 Moparts Forums