Moparts

hemi mls gasket leaks ?

Posted By: calrobb2000

hemi mls gasket leaks ? - 02/10/23 04:09 AM

hi

who here has used mls head gaskets on their alu head iron block hemi and had oil seeping out between head and block ?

i think mine are leaking oil ?

is there a sealer to put on the gaskets to stop this ?

thank you !
Posted By: blowndart

Re: hemi mls gasket leaks ? - 02/10/23 11:52 AM

I use MLS Cometics on my hemi. I don't have any leaking with the gaskets. I coated both sides of the gasket with copper coat spray sealant before installation. I thought I had a leak between the gasket and the head or block once, but that turned out to be a leak where the intake seals against the block and head. I re-sealed the intake and it's been dry since. This is a common issue with Hemis. I also have aluminum heads on an iron block.
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: hemi mls gasket leaks ? - 02/10/23 03:39 PM

No leaks with my MLS gaskets on my Hemi. Also sprayed with copper coat.
Posted By: blowndart

Re: hemi mls gasket leaks ? - 02/10/23 04:43 PM

One other thing. If you haven't retorqued the heads bolt/studs after it was built, you should do that after it's seen a few heat cycles and it may help seal a small leak if the torque is off.
Posted By: Mopar Mitch

Re: hemi mls gasket leaks ? - 02/10/23 07:27 PM

MLS head gaskets require extremely smooth surface finishes ... there should be specs with the new gaskets.... and your local machine shop should spend the time to get to those specs (heads and block deck).... otherwise, fluid leakage can possibly occur.
Posted By: fuseable

Re: hemi mls gasket leaks ? - 02/10/23 07:44 PM

From Tim Banning at FHO, smear a little of the Right Stuff gasket maker around the oil drain back holes. front and back, both sides of gasket.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: hemi mls gasket leaks ? - 02/10/23 07:55 PM

On the Cometic MLS head gaskets for Hemiriod motors I have had to cut the rivets off so the heads would not try and pinch them between the heads and block. I learn also that the Cometic MLS head gaskets need a lot smoother head and deck surface than other composition head gaskets need to seal properly. Call them to get the correct RA number for the deck and head surfaces scope I can't remember if it is 35 or 50 RA confused
Posted By: rickseeman

Re: hemi mls gasket leaks ? - 02/11/23 12:35 AM

It's 50
Posted By: TJP

Re: hemi mls gasket leaks ? - 02/11/23 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by blowndart
One other thing. If you haven't retorqued the heads bolt/studs after it was built, you should do that after it's seen a few heat cycles and it may help seal a small leak if the torque is off.

up
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: hemi mls gasket leaks ? - 02/13/23 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by fuseable
From Tim Banning at FHO, smear a little of the Right Stuff gasket maker around the oil drain back holes. front and back, both sides of gasket.

iagree I've heard this from a few known hemi engine builders. Silicone works also. Works for me. up
© 2024 Moparts Forums