Moparts

What is this steering column from?

Posted By: baldjugglingogre

What is this steering column from? - 01/15/23 09:12 PM

This steering column was left in the bathroom closet (!?) of my house when I purchased it. No way of contacting the previous owner. A quick google suggests early 70's Plymouth but I was hoping for more detail so that I can find it a home. Can anyone tell me more?

Pictures:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/2sp6K2KD43PKkifX6

Thanks in advance,
Posted By: Mr T2U

Re: What is this steering column from? - 01/15/23 10:16 PM

70 E body.
will fit to 74.
the crush can is the same from 70-74.
no lock lever in 70. he lock release lever was started in 71-74
Posted By: roadrunninMark

Re: What is this steering column from? - 01/15/23 10:19 PM

Can you tell if it is a power steering or manual steering column? I am looking for a manual steering column.

Re: What is this steering column from? - 01/15/23 10:26 PM

Do you know what to look for to determine that? I have no knowledge of this stuff.

Re: What is this steering column from? - 01/15/23 10:26 PM

couldn't tell you. it's been several years since i worked on E bodies.
the difference between the 2 is the steering shaft length on the lower column.
the column can be made to fit both by lengthening or shortening the collapsing steering shaft. there is a plastic pin that keeps this from sliding. just hit the shaft at the bottom end and this snaps the pin.

Re: What is this steering column from? - 01/15/23 11:00 PM

Thanks for the info, Mr T2U!
Posted By: 70X

Re: What is this steering column from? - 01/15/23 11:51 PM

This looks like it has the lock lever to me.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: What is this steering column from? - 01/16/23 03:33 AM

The inner shaft looks short like the power steering shafts did shruggy
Needs to be measured to be sure which one it is twocents
Posted By: fastmark

Re: What is this steering column from? - 01/16/23 09:53 AM

That’s a 71-74 ebody because of the locking lever right below the key slot. It looks like a power steering column to me. The steering adapter that connects the steering box is a different spline on power vs manual. The power is larger if my memory is correct. I’ve shorten a shaft as mentioned above, but that’s not the proper way. They make two different shafts. That collapsable column is so it won’t drive the rod through thee driver on impact. Maybe I need to move more often if people are going to leave ebody parts in the house when they leave!

Re: What is this steering column from? - 01/16/23 03:14 PM

Mr.T, if you snap the pin and move it down, do you then need to put another pin in place to lock it in?

I'll measure my power column on the exposed inner shaft to the top of the coupling and report back. ** It appears to be about 9 1/4" from where it goes into the outer shaft to the top of the coupling.***

I would like a second column either way, I would like to keep my original column as is and have a second one to eventually do an electric steering conversion on.

Re: What is this steering column from? - 01/17/23 12:01 AM

i just install it without replacing the pin.
the steering shaft will slide in and out easily and sometimes make installation a pain.
Posted By: 1969gtx

Re: What is this steering column from? - 01/17/23 12:26 AM

look like power steering
Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: What is this steering column from? - 01/17/23 08:47 AM

By the courtesy light and hazzard knob , is a late 71 up to 74 column.
Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: What is this steering column from? - 01/17/23 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
The inner shaft looks short like the power steering shafts did shruggy
Needs to be measured to be sure which one it is twocents

or measure the coupler hole diameter

Re: What is this steering column from? - 01/17/23 02:45 PM

Assuming that the cylindrical metal tip is the coupler, the inner diameter is 0.6" and the outer diameter is 1.6" and the rectangular part is ~1.83" on the long side.

Re: What is this steering column from? - 01/17/23 02:49 PM

The inner shaft measures just a hair over 10" from the top of the coupling to where it disappears into the outer shaft.

Re: What is this steering column from? - 01/17/23 03:16 PM

That sounds like a power steering column then. Mine measured about 9 1/4", so very close to yours (most likely the same as yours, just probably measuring a little differently than you). The manual column is a good couple inches longer (just looking at the adapter available). If you would like to sell it, send me a PM. I see you are in AL, I am in GA, just south of Atlanta.
© 2024 Moparts Forums