Moparts

How to Repair Light Windshield Scratches

Posted By: Powerflow

How to Repair Light Windshield Scratches - 12/09/22 03:08 PM

I have an old squeegee in my daily driver that has a good rubber blade on one side and a metal edge on the other (left over from a plastic scraper edge that broke). I was in a hurry this morning and started using the metal edge, which made some light scratches in the windshield glass about 6" long. They're right in my line of sight and visible if the light is right. Most of it doesn't catch my fingernail but one or two small sections do. Is there anything mild I can use to try to lighten the scratches? I've heard of using Bon Ami or toothpaste. Are there any other home remedies to try?
Posted By: W.I.N. Racing

Re: How to Repair Light Windshield Scratches - 12/09/22 05:37 PM

You can try but pretty sure you are going to create a wave form in the glass that may be more egregious than the scratch. twocents

Re: How to Repair Light Windshield Scratches - 12/09/22 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by W.I.N. Racing
You can try but pretty sure you are going to create a wave form in the glass that may be more egregious than the scratch. twocents

That's what I'm concerned about. I want to try the least aggressive method and live with the results. It's just a matter of finding the right procedure for a one-and-done attempt.
Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: How to Repair Light Windshield Scratches - 12/09/22 11:59 PM

Cerium oxide.

Several tutorials on youtube

Tooth paste and similars works on plastic, not on glass
Posted By: ruderunner

Re: How to Repair Light Windshield Scratches - 12/10/22 12:56 AM

Long straight strokes. DO NOT CONCENTRATE ON THE SCRATCH ITSELF. You basically sand the entire window down to meet the scratch.

But, it sounds like yours are pretty deep.

For very minor scratches I use Fast Orange and a rubber block.

If you can get the epoxy thats used for chips, you can carefully mask the scratch, build up the epoxy, then shave and sand it .

Re: How to Repair Light Windshield Scratches - 12/10/22 12:44 PM

Would rubbing with 'XXXX' steel wool with WD-40 as a lube have any affect?
Posted By: TJP

Re: How to Repair Light Windshield Scratches - 12/10/22 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Powerflow
Would rubbing with 'XXXX' steel wool with WD-40 as a lube have any affect?

Doubtful and it might cause yet another problem with getting the WD off shruggy .
there are several "kits" on AMZ that have good reviews, most are for chips but some do claim to do scratches AMZ LINKY

put " windshield scratch repair" in the search box, read the reviews, and roll the dice wink

might check on the cost of a replacement windshield, pre Biden they sometimes were quite affordable wink

post back if you find a solution beer

Posted By: CrazyD

Re: How to Repair Light Windshield Scratches - 12/10/22 04:08 PM

If the scratches interfere with your line of sight, perhaps your car insurance would replace the windshield as part of comprehensive coverage.
Posted By: nuthinbutmopar

Re: How to Repair Light Windshield Scratches - 12/11/22 03:45 AM

Barkeepers Friend

Link
Posted By: 58pwrwgn

Re: How to Repair Light Windshield Scratches - 12/12/22 03:39 AM

Look on ebay "windshield scratch repair" .I hav used cerium oxide on light scratches. Takes time. I have never tried sand paper first that some of these kits have.
© 2024 Moparts Forums