Moparts

Could we talk Bucket Seats ?

Posted By: hemienvy

Could we talk Bucket Seats ? - 12/03/22 03:30 AM

Looking to remove the bench seat and put in 2 buckets.

Features I would like:
1.) Should be folddown so you can get into the back seat
2.) Should be adjustable sliding forward and back
3.) Integral shoulder belts would be nice (seats from a convertible ?)
4.) hi-back or headrests

Any other features optional, but probably the less the better.

I realize that what is comfortable for you might possibly be a little different for me.

Folks that have pursued this, is there really no escape from simply sitting in a lot of different cars ?
What kind of seats do you like ?
Posted By: kentj340

Re: Could we talk Bucket Seats ? - 12/03/22 07:01 AM

My '69 Barracuda fold down factory bucket seats that adjust back and forth are plenty good, except the seat belt shoulder strap is a little primitive. Overall I would give them a grade of A.

Why not get original bucket seats for your unknow model/unknown year truck/car?
Posted By: BSharp

Re: Could we talk Bucket Seats ? - 12/03/22 04:17 PM

I looked at a lot of junkyard seats this past summer. There's a pretty good pick n pull yard here with mostly <20 year old cars and high turnover, but the first thing I noticed is how rare two-door cars have become, which you need for the fold-forward feature. Even entry-level cars are heavily four-door, and a lot of the two-door coupes are higher-end with electric controls that I don't want, and they usually have a complicated mounting footprint. The other thing I noticed was how roached out most interiors are, even in relatively new cars. What do people do in there? Never mind.

I bought a pair from a Mini Cooper for $150. Manual slide, fold-forward, and will raise and lower a couple of inches. No integral belts. They have a flat mounting footprint, but I did some surgery to narrow the tracks to fit between the floor humps. I haven't driven the car with them yet, but I think they'll do.

Attached picture Mini seats.jpg
Posted By: 65pacecar

Re: Could we talk Bucket Seats ? - 12/03/22 04:25 PM

Nice. Another good option is a 2001 or so Pontiac Grand Am GT 2 Door. Nice size for a build and comfortable. We have my wife’s GA that I’m using as a DD winter car, when it dies the seats will live in a new build,
© 2024 Moparts Forums