Moparts

Mopar 4/6-cylinder RWD auto,which is good donor for racing?

Posted By: migsBIG

Mopar 4/6-cylinder RWD auto,which is good donor for racing? - 11/27/22 01:55 PM

Long story short, have a couple buddies wanting to make a drift car from a mopar and looking for a REAR wheel drive automatic car from the 1980's to present model. I know some guys want the slant six up front, but that's boring and limits the platform for engine swapping to different bodies, weighs alot and limits upgrades. Thinking if there was something good from Jeep, PT Cruiser, etc. that could be built up and run good would be a start. Any suggestions?
Posted By: ehbody

Re: Mopar 4/6-cylinder RWD auto,which is good donor for racing? - 11/27/22 04:51 PM

Dodge Conquest?
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Mopar 4/6-cylinder RWD auto,which is good donor for racing? - 11/27/22 04:55 PM

PT Cruiser is a front wheel drive.
Posted By: TC@HP2

Re: Mopar 4/6-cylinder RWD auto,which is good donor for racing? - 11/27/22 04:58 PM

Jeep Cherokee. Millions of them have been made and some even come in 2wd. Of course if you are highly motivated, swap in a different front stub to avoid the straight axle. 3.7, 4.0, 4.7, 5.7 engines have the ability to be fitted to it.

Stealth/3000 could also fit the bill but aren't as easily found, need to be converted from FWD/AWD and will require fab to get differing engines in them. But they do have the architecture to allow RWD.

Of course there are also the old M body police sedans and pick-up trucks. Maybe even a van if you really want to dare to be different.
Posted By: Moparite

Re: Mopar 4/6-cylinder RWD auto,which is good donor for racing? - 11/27/22 05:27 PM

wanting to make a drift car from a mopar

So if it was made by Mitsubishi with a Dodge emblem on it it's not a "mopar" in my book. What about a Daytona? There are several of them on you tube(V8 rear wheel drive).
Posted By: A12

Re: Mopar 4/6-cylinder RWD auto,which is good donor for racing? - 11/27/22 09:11 PM

Go BIG migsBIG or GO HOME... wink grin

Posted By: topside

Re: Mopar 4/6-cylinder RWD auto,which is good donor for racing? - 11/27/22 11:46 PM

Dajiban !!!

Basic architecture for drift stuff seems to be front-engine, RWD, and it seems a wheelbase somewhere around 100"-110" .
Ft wheels need a lot of steering angle, which would require some fab work.
I would think a stiff chassis makes the slip angles more predictable and controllable.
Seating that holds your happy butt & torso in place would be nice, too.
Best would be some kind of tire deal !
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: Mopar 4/6-cylinder RWD auto,which is good donor for racing? - 11/28/22 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by stumpy
PT Cruiser is a front wheel drive.

Attached picture 1 huh 02.png
Attached picture 1 huh 4.jpg
Attached picture 1 no, just no.jpg
Attached picture 1 FPP.JPG

Re: Mopar 4/6-cylinder RWD auto,which is good donor for racing? - 11/29/22 04:00 AM

Just spoke with my buddies again and they needed ‘just’ a drivetrain choice as they already have a car in mind.

They would love a 4 banger, but would work with a 6 cylinder. They are trying to keep it a simple swap as they have limited room to work with and don’t want over complicated engine electronics. Thanks for the help soo far. If they decide on a jeep 4.0, do you think it would work?
Posted By: Fat_Mike

Re: Mopar 4/6-cylinder RWD auto,which is good donor for racing? - 11/29/22 04:34 AM

Bro, we GOTTA know the platform.
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Mopar 4/6-cylinder RWD auto,which is good donor for racing? - 11/29/22 04:46 AM

Only drawback I can see to the 4.0 is length. Other than that it's easy to set one up with very little electronics and transmissions choices are pretty wide open.
Posted By: moparjim79

Re: Mopar 4/6-cylinder RWD auto,which is good donor for racing? - 11/29/22 11:50 AM

2.4 turbo from the neon/pt. They put 2.4s in many, many vehicles in the early to mid 2000s. My neighbor had a 2006 wrangler with a 6 speed he put neon sourced turbo bits on, and daily drove it. Its a light engine that makes tons of power and is not complicated. Lots of aftermarket support.

Re: Mopar 4/6-cylinder RWD auto,which is good donor for racing? - 11/30/22 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by Fat_Mike
Bro, we GOTTA know the platform.

they said it was b-body, f-body or e-body. they have a scrap yard full of stuff so it would be anything.
Posted By: poorboy

Re: Mopar 4/6-cylinder RWD auto,which is good donor for racing? - 12/01/22 02:13 AM

A 2.4 turbo could be a fun toy in a light vehicle, but I don't know if Chrysler ever put one in a rear wheel drive configuration. Making a transmission work might take all the fun out of it.

A V6 option might be a high output 3.6 for the early modern Chargers. A lot of kick out of a light weight package. I do hear they are not a small sized package, never messed with one.

A "B" or an "F" body could be GM. The other Mopar bodies wouldn't be considered as being off topic.

Re: Mopar 4/6-cylinder RWD auto,which is good donor for racing? - 12/01/22 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by poorboy
A 2.4 turbo could be a fun toy in a light vehicle, but I don't know if Chrysler ever put one in a rear wheel drive configuration. Making a transmission work might take all the fun out of it.

A V6 option might be a high output 3.6 for the early modern Chargers. A lot of kick out of a light weight package. I do hear they are not a small sized package, never messed with one.

A "B" or an "F" body could be GM. The other Mopar bodies wouldn't be considered as being off topic.

no. they have a yard of nothing but mopars so it's not GM stuff. they just need an idea what car is good for the drivetrain so they can use it for a donor.
Posted By: moparjim79

Re: Mopar 4/6-cylinder RWD auto,which is good donor for racing? - 12/06/22 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by poorboy

Did you read my entire post? Take a minute and search YouTube for the dart that was engine swapped to an srt4 setup. Its a bad machine.
© 2024 Moparts Forums